Play Bouknight at point? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Play Bouknight at point?

Reaction Score
I think your plan is brilliant. In fact we can let the other 4 players stay back ready for defense while Bouk 'probes' the defense? They won't have to go into the front court and stand around and watch Bouk probes the defense', they can stand around in the back court and stay fresh while 'Bouk probes the defense' I appreciate your thinking outside the box but the concept is doomed to failure.

The key to a good program is several Strong Talented Experienced Players (STEP) with high basketball IQ who know their roles and perform those roles. There is not much of that on this team at this point. I believe we are headed into the realm of STEP. It will take 2 or 3 STEPs at a time. Right now DH is developing 3 STEPS and possible 5 STEPs (I don't know if Springs and Cole will qualify) There are 2 more potential STEPs coming next year. The year after that with an estimate of 7 STEPs (and hopefully a couple of STEPs in development) on the team, then UConn gets on the other side of the blowouts.
Yeah, I think you took this a little out of context, clearly by your sarcasm. Good things happen when the ball is in his hands, and the more he develops doing that this year the better for next year when he may be relied on as one of the leaders. Not saying he should be bringing the ball up the court, but dont stick him in the corner every possession either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like Bouk and think he will be a really good player for UConn, but if Bouknight was the kind of player that could take over a game as a freshman, he would be taking over the game as a freshman. He would be carving up a team like USF or Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
I am all for giving more minutes to the youngsters but let's not overestimate the impact on chemistry and morale when Vital and AG do not start.

Reaction Score
If not Gaffney starting at point I would like to see B. Adams there as he looked very good in the Buffalo game and played within himself. He still looks like a chicken with his head cut off when playing the wing at times. I still think start Gaffney(B. Adams), Bouk, Vital, Carlton and Akok is the best lineup going forward. I just don't want to see Gilbert start another game unless he transforms into a pass first point guard. I just don't see this happening. He still thinks he can go on on three while being a midget and having very little athletic ups with small arms. He is no Ryan Boatright for sure. For a small guard he is an awful outside shooter too which makes it the more pathetic to start Gilbert. He is what he is at this point of his career.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think you took this a little out of context, clearly by your sarcasm. Good things happen when the ball is in his hands, and the more he develops doing that this year the better for next year when he may be relied on as one of the leaders. Not saying he should be bringing the ball up the court, but dont stick him in the corner every possession either.
If I did, then the sarcasm in unwarranted. I apologize. My sincere belief is that Bouk is at his best coming off screens, catching the ball in motion and taking advantage of the defense that is shifting to the new ball position (either zone or mtm) Then he can use his BBIQ and athleticism to take advantage of the situation. For this to happen, he needs a good screen that is a threat in a roll to the hoop (Akok fits the bill) and a point guard who will deliver a catchable ball at the right time. (Gaff fits the bill) if Carlton and Polly are the other two goes low away from the hoop ready to chase the offensive board and Polly clears a passing lane for a kick out. Unstoppable NEXT year. Right now Bouk is physically too weak to dominate 30-35 minutes against mature players.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney needs to run the point. Not a big scorer, think Taliek Brown esque
As I used to say back in the day, Taliek was a jump shot away from being an All
American. He did everything else right including running the team with precision.
By all means I agree give Gaffney the keys and let him go. Taliek is there to keep him on track.

Reaction Score
If I did, then the sarcasm in unwarranted. I apologize. My sincere belief is that Bouk is at his best coming off screens, catching the ball in motion and taking advantage of the defense that is shifting to the new ball position (either zone or mtm) Then he can use his BBQ and athleticism to take advantage of the situation. For this to happen, he needs a good screen that is a threat in a roll to the hoop (Akok fits the bill) and a point guard who will deliver a catchable ball at the right time. (Gaff fits the bill) if Carlton and Polly are the other two goes low away from the hoop ready to chase the offensive board and Polly clears a passing lane for a kick out. Unstoppable NEXT year. Right now Bouk is physically too weak to dominate 30-35 minutes against mature players.
It's ok, no problem. I agree with you about Bouk being physically immature still. I would love to see him at 30 minutes a game but who knows if that will happen this year or take too much of a toll on his body. I also agree with your assessment on Polley and Carlton, but what I saw last game is that Sid was a much better complimentary piece to Bouk then Polley because of his sheer athleticism and strength compared to Polley. Hes a great guy to either slash to the hoop or use in a pick n roll situation for those reasons. Polley is great for standing around the arc but hes just so predictable there. Polley is really more of a broken play 3 point shooter or a come off a screen 3 point shooter and is too limited for this type of offense we are discussing imo. Also pumped for what this offense will look like next year.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
@RayRay Not big Sid fan. I've seen too much bad Sid to have one game change my mind. Two areas specifically 1) on defense he gets caught watching the ball too much. 2) rarely , if at all, does he chase a rebound on either end. Also, he doesn't have a jump shot which I think with his elevation is a crime. But I'm excited for the future. Watch Sid make a liar out of me and become an AA.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nelson is scared that our terrible offense will "grind to a halt" if our best scorer becomes our primary creator.

Is this dude real?

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a good enough ball handler to be point. Cole next year will be the point guard and that kid will make Gaffney disappear.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a good enough ball handler to be point. Cole next year will be the point guard and that kid will make Gaffney disappear.

Well we need them both to be better in that position next year. I'm not sold on anyone there either wouldn't mind seeing a Grad Transfer combo guard who can shoot, is taller and is quick. Must admit done with diminutive guards they have to be really special to make the impact necessary.

But no matter, need Coles to be good and Gaffney to be better.

Reaction Score
I think some of you miss the point. This team has a dreadful offense right now. I don’t think any of us are filling ourselves into thinking Bouknight handles well enough to play exclusively at point. But I think I speak for a fair amount us by saying we know all too well what’s behind Door #1, there is no real risk in seeing what’s behind Door #2.

Reaction Score
I thought Gilbert didn’t look bad off the ball when Bouknight was running some sets in the second half vs south florida
Why would you keep Gilbert playing off the ball, he adds little value offensively and is a mediocre shooter. If you’re gonna play off the ball, you need to be a scoring threat. His on-ball defense is strong, I think that is the only value he adds right now.

Reaction Score
Why would you keep Gilbert playing off the ball, he adds little value offensively and is a mediocre shooter. If you’re gonna play off the ball, you need to be a scoring threat. His on-ball defense is strong, I think that is the only value he adds right now.
It was within the flow of the game Gilbert would bring it up get the ball to bouk and get to the wing. Sometimes he got the ball back from bouk and got downhill and it was an easier drive for him because he wasn’t standing at the top of the key dribbling the whole time. It added a dimension to the offense. It wasn’t bouk playing pure point and Gilbert just playing off the ball

Reaction Score

He had 8 assists last game, that's not value?

Reaction Score
30% shooting through 14 games certainly isn't a positive.
Lol oops I thought @rcarj meant Bouknight because he didn’t quote anyone, but now I get that he was talking about Gilbert and I retract my response. He’s been very bad.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you’ve watched, he constantly overdives and gets blocked...leading to a turnover and fast break. He cannot finish around the rim or consistently draw a foul when driving, he does not utilize a floater or runner to mitigate his lack of finishing around the rim; he doesn’t consistently draw defenders and pass to open shooters. I’m sure I could add a couple more things...not saying he’s a terrible player, just saying he’s been bad offensively this season. Poor offensive point guard play has really hurt this team.

Reaction Score
Lol oops I thought @rcarj meant Bouknight because he didn’t quote anyone, but now I get that he was talking about Gilbert and I retract my response. He’s been very bad.

No issues. Enjoy the game.

Reaction Score
My bad, I don’t post much. Good 5 min so far for Gilbert though...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson is scared that our terrible offense will "grind to a halt" if our best scorer becomes our primary creator.

Is this dude real?

Bouk missed Akok on multiple pick and rolls last night. He isn't a point guard.

pro tip: When you have to ask for applause, your burn wasn't that good.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bouk missed Akok on multiple pick and rolls last night. He isn't a point guard.

pro tip: When you have to ask for applause, your burn wasn't that good.
My burn worked considerably well, considering it triggered you so hard, you responded 3 days later. Not mad.

If you increase the usage percentage of your best offensive player, and decrease the percentage of your worst offensive player, it stands to reason that offense would improve. Did spelling it out that simply help you understand?

Just to be clear, on nights like last night, it made sense to continue playing Gilbert, as he wasnt hurting the team nearly as bad as usual. My overall point is what he's been doing on average.

Reaction Score
The OP may get his wish
If Gilbert goes home for the funeral and Gaffney is still having ankle issues.
Its either Bouknight, Adams, or even Vital .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom