Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's likely third or fourth. Christian's good, but not quite as good.

Jackson somehow made the all-conference rookie team and his freshman year was scads better than what Larrier did at VCU.

He's good - he'll likely be very good before he's done.
CV was a lot more impactful than vance last yr

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He is not a 7th man type talent. The kid is pretty damn good, and played very well especially for a freshman.
On an injury free team last season he would definitely be the 7th player - at best. None of us would have seen VJ play 1/10 of what he did play
He would not have been afforded the minutes he did get to work out any kinks or his typical lousy defense - he would have been buried on the bench with the coaches saying he would have to work harder on defense and learn not to be hesitant on taking the open shot in practice in order to get any PT
VJ was handed the golden egg but he and/or his father thought he deserved platinum

Reaction Score
On an injury free team last season he would definitely be the 7th player - at best. None of us would have seen VJ play 1/10 of what he did play
He would not have been afforded the minutes he did get to work out any kinks or his typical lousy defense - he would have been buried on the bench with the coaches saying he would have to work harder on defense and learn not to be hesitant on taking the open shot in practice in order to get any PT
VJ was handed the golden egg but he and/or his father thought he deserved platinum
Come on. You are letting your anger cloud your judgment. He was one of the better all time three-point shooting freshman at Uconn, and was recognized for such receiving Conference All Rookie team.

Reaction Score
"VJ was handed the golden egg but he and/or his father thought he deserved platinum"

Then it follows that they expected he would end up at a platinum program.
As Bill Parcells used to say, "You are what your record says you are...".
Looks like the record is going to say that Rutgers is the best that Vance Jackson could do.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the family's desire to shoot for the moon with Vance. I'd rather he stayed, but let's be real about his ceiling. He's a slow-footed big 3-point shooter -- a complementary piece, not a multi-dimensional scorer a college coach should bet the farm on, if that's what's happening. Like others have said before, he can't handle 15 shots a game - he'll get stuffed.

I hope Vance finds the better fit he's after - I'm curious to see how the helicopter parent situation plays out.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This is a great thread.

If Vance stayed he'd be a pillar to build the next FF trip upon.

Since he left he sucks and is mentally soft.

RU, we're talking about RU

What about RU makes one think Final Four? or basketball greatness? or even a path to the NBA?

The way the haters love VJ now, you would think that with all those basketball skills he'd be looking at better basketball schools

he's a PTPer Baby,

maybe next week he can visit BC, I hear they're something special too

Reaction Score
You can tell what the tone of the posts are going to be based on the username alone. Sad that so many guys want to trash a kid who's father basically created the transfer situation. Vance is skilled and will have a bright future ahead of him, both in college and as a pro somewhere.

Reaction Score
You can tell what the tone of the posts are going to be based on the username alone. Sad that so many guys want to trash a kid who's father basically created the transfer situation. Vance is skilled and will have a bright future ahead of him, both in college and as a pro somewhere.

If he made fun of the "Ten Toes In" and other KO stuff he deserves all of this and more. The kid received minutes he could only dream if and he's leaving, dad or not screw him!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If he made fun of the "Ten Toes In" and other KO stuff he deserves all of this and more. The kid received minutes he could only dream if and he's leaving, dad or not screw him!

I wasn't really bashing the kid either, I'm bashing the fans that look under every pepple to find dirt and a reason to hate on the program they're supposedly fans of. Literally going out of their way to create some negative narrative.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ideally, Vance's career would have looked like DeAndre Daniels. Flashes of skills in limited minutes first year, solid second year, star third year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"VJ was handed the golden egg but he and/or his father thought he deserved platinum"

Then it follows that they expected he would end up at a platinum program.
As Bill Parcells used to say, "You are what your record says you are...".
Looks like the record is going to say that Rutgers is the best that Vance Jackson could do.
Well he wasn't properly showcased in Ollie's system.
- Vance's Dad

Reaction Score
Today's the day for Vance at Rutgers. Zags retweeted his previous article. A ton of "we" here from his dad. And the way he desribes he wants Vance to play sounds a lot like the shooting PF everyone wants him to be? Maybe it really was just not enough about him. Too bad.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/03/28/...ies-add-raphael-chillious-lose-vance-jackson/

“We just told the coach [Kevin Ollie] today,” Vance Jackson Sr. said by phone. “He’s waiting to get his release so once that happens, we’ll know really what’s next.

“The main reason was it wasn’t the right fit for Vance to display his full skills. “It was more of a guard offense where the guards dominate the ball, and you kind of get it at the last minute. If you get it, take a shot or whatever. It was kind of dominated by the guards.

“I had conversations with the coach, I was just wondering if there was a way we could utilize him more to help the team. His skill level, there’s a lot of stuff he can do, and we weren’t on the same page with it. I’m must replying what Vance wants to do. A lot of people think it’s me, me, Vance is telling me what he wants to do and I was just trying to [explain] it to the coach. We know what he’s capable of. You got a smaller person on him, you can post him up. You got a bigger person on him, you can take him off the dribble. We want to be able to utilize the skill level to help us win. That’s it.”

Jackson considered Cal, among others, before committing to UConn in October 2015. His father says he’s wide open.

“We’re pretty much wide open because I want Vance to be in the best spot,” his dad said. “That why we went to UConn. It wasn’t about East-West, it was about hopefully the best spot. And it didn’t come out right.”

Reaction Score
His skill level, there’s a lot of stuff he can do, and we weren’t on the same page with it. I’m must replying what Vance wants to do. A lot of people think it’s me, me, Vance is telling me what he wants to do and I was just trying to [explain] it to the coach. We know what he’s capable of. You got a smaller person on him, you can post him up. You got a bigger person on him, you can take him off the dribble. We want to be able to utilize the skill level to help us win. That’s it.”

What a bunch of BS.

Reaction Score
His skill level, there’s a lot of stuff he can do, and we weren’t on the same page with it. I’m must replying what Vance wants to do. A lot of people think it’s me, me, Vance is telling me what he wants to do and I was just trying to [explain] it to the coach. We know what he’s capable of. You got a smaller person on him, you can post him up. You got a bigger person on him, you can take him off the dribble. We want to be able to utilize the skill level to help us win. That’s it.”

What a bunch of BS.
I also read an article posted by some Rutgers guy and retweeted by either Vance or Sr that mentioned Vance had "only" the 5th most attempts on the team despite playing 26 minutes a game. 5th most attempts as a freshman who is the 5th best player on the team seems pretty decent to me. Especially when you add in the fact everyone was begging him to stop passing up all the open shots he did, including KO. There's no chance his next school is his last stop if he utilizes all his eligibility

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had conversations with the coach, I was just wondering if there was a way we could utilize him more to help the team. His skill level, there’s a lot of stuff he can do, and we weren’t on the same page with it. I’m must replying what Vance wants to do. A lot of people think it’s me, me, Vance is telling me what he wants to do and I was just trying to [explain] it to the coach. We know what he’s capable of. You got a smaller person on him, you can post him up. You got a bigger person on him, you can take him off the dribble. We want to be able to utilize the skill level to help us win. That’s it.”

I wonder if Vance's dad's world view trickled down to the other the posts. If you ever coached, you've probably experienced a Dad who wants to "explain" to you how to best utilize his kid, not for the kid's sake but "for the team." Inevitably, their advice consists of how their kid needs to be the vocal point of the offense.

I liked Vance and thought he develop in being a good player for us, but this end up being an addition by subtraction kind of a thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
O.K., so other than not realizing he recruited a friggin time bomb , can we agree that there is nothing that any head coach can do about a situation like this? The coach has to run a team to try to maximize the chance to win games. He can't run a team a different way because it makes a player or father happy. That's not fair to the other players, the program or the fans.

Reaction Score

What a bunch of BS.

Right. What it should say is:

"We know what he’s capable of". "You got a smaller person on him, you can stand in the corner hoping for an open 3. You got a bigger person on him, you can stand in the corner hoping for an open 3".

Fixed it for you Vance Sr.

Reaction Score
Hey Vance's Dad
I hope wherever he goes they have a legimate PG the quality of JA.
( maybe a half a dozen teams in the country have a player of his quality.)
Because ADams ability to pentetrate and pass got a lot of open shots for your son , enough so that he made the all rookie AAC team. Even overcoming his start where most fans were going to give him the nickname air ball Jackson.
He was a raw freshman with that deer in the headlights look for the first ten games.
He certainly wasn't ready to step into the breech but what freshman would be?
If he goes somewhere that lacks that player , unless your son improves drastically and learns to create his own shot. I suspect he will be in for a rude awakening.
(Your Team rank is irrelevant. It's your rank at position that's key to playing time.)
If Larrier , a legitimate NBA prospect , doesn't get hurt how many minutes would VJ have gotten?
It's hard to imagine a raw overwhelmed kid getting a better opportunity than your son
yet somehow it wasn't the best situation for him. I will give your son credit for hanging in there and the coaches credit for his improvement.
Sorry Mister Jackson your whining in the lack of actual facts come off a either a father out of touch or ,since your now blaming your son , a spoiled entitled kid with an inflated view of his contribution.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Vance and pappy saw how DHam initiated and controlled the ball much of the last two years and figured VJ could step in and do the same. I don't blame them for thinking him capable of that but I do blame them for not trusting the coaches and the process when it became IMMEDIATELY apparent that he wasn't capable of it. There's a very good chance he wasn't going to see 26 mpg next year and I bet that more than anything is the impetus.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69