Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Strange things is he was tentative on taking open shots and you could see KO telling him to take them.

This. Vance was visibly timid on the court - almost the entire year - and especially if one of his shots didn't fall early. The lack of confidence he showed resulted in some wild bricks. I suppose maybe if he felt like the offense was running through him that would change but of all our freshman last year, he was the one who looked the most scared.

Reaction Score
Makes sense to me... At Rutgers he'll score 15-20/gm, shoot 40% from the field, not have to play defense, and go 14-18 every year. But he'll score some points for sure. Right from the moment Vance committed, it was obvious that he cares quite a bit about the image that he is portraying. If I remember right, his commitment from a twitter/instagram spectacle of sorts and most of us spun it as, "well he's confident, albeit, a bit different." It was obvious from that moment. Then a year of his pops spouting off...

At Rutgers, his dad can only talk up his son while putting down the teammates. It is a lot easier that way.

Reaction Score
Excuse - that's all - a convenient excuse

Even though he made those twitter comments saying he misses Cali? I agree with you about the excuse, but that evidence is in conflict.

Reaction Score
Vance $enior looking at Rutgers like:
XfG6plb.jpg

Now that it logic that Vance Sr. can agree with.

Reaction Score
Because he's a 7th man talent at UConn. He's not a 7th man talent at Rutgers. Nor would he be at bucknell.

This says it all, actually. Team Jackson needs Vance to be a star. Not going to happen at a good program, so they're choosing star at bad program instead of solid starter at good program. I don't know what in the world KO is supposed to do about that.

We have 9 players right now.

We swung and missed on the 9th guy at St. John's for gods sake. And with as much playing time to offer as he could ever dream of.

This isnt really directed at you since you arent really ripping on Rutgers per, but I really continue to find it amazing that over the past few weeks so many posters on here continue to crap on other schools and act like we are so high and mighty. We cant even play a 5 on 5 pick up game and here we are ripping on all these other schools while our foundation is literally crumbling as we speak.

We have swung and missed on a number of Rutgers level kids over the past few weeks. Maybe we got on them late. Maybe we weren't really that interested.

There are probably legitimate reasons, but we cant seem to convince anyone to come play for us right now. 7th man at Rutgers level or worse.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day ALL kids at this level of division 1 think they will be NBA players.....since the age of 12 everyone has told them so.

It's up to the coach to convince the kid he'll get him to the promised land.....they don't care all that much about UConn only what UConn (or Rutgers) can do for them.

If Rutgers (or another school) showcases VJ better than UConn maybe he made the best choice for him, but sitting out a year is a huge gamble when he had a bright future (I think) at UConn.

My personal opinion is he didn't have a great year here, top 100 kid who would see less minutes with larrier coming back and he really cant defend or rebound at the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
Even though it is pretty hilariuos....to everyone ripping on Rutgers for that stupid marketing attempt. At least they are trying something. What exactly are our brilliant coaches doing to try to get kids to come here??

Nobody has a clue what our message is. better to have a joke of a message than no message at all.

Reaction Score
Intrigued to see which coach agrees to Vance Sr's wish. Not sure why a coach would agree to shape an offense around a 7th-man type talent, but dumb things have been done before.

He is not a 7th man type talent. The kid is pretty damn good, and played very well especially for a freshman.

Reaction Score
Progression of the Boneyard:

1) Vance is a quitter with a whiney dad.
2) Vance just wanted to be closer to home.
3) Vance's friend is looking here so Vance is just transferring because his dad made him... and maybe he won't actually transfer.
4) Vance is going to Rutgers? Clearly it's because he has to be "the man" and he was just 7th+ man here.
5) (If Vance transfers to a bigger school): I hear Vance's dad got paid like a BBB player.

One (or more) of these whims may be true. But considering we also lost Juwan and Enoch, and every great to mediocre recruit we've gone after, the overall optics of our situation keep getting worse. Part of me wants to know all the backstories, but part of me doesn't because I'm not an insider so if I know... everyone knows.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't think so. His going to Rutgers reinforces several things about Vance. He wants to be the MAN. His father said as much in his tweet. At UConn he was not going to be featured over Larrier, Gilbert and Adams. I also don't know if he realizes how much they lose, or how many fans attend their games. Weren't there something like 39 Rutgers fans at one game a couple years ago?
When they win their one Big10 game per year a lot of people show up, other than that it's a lot of crowds that would envy ECU at 9pm on a Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Is there enough time in a regulation basketball game for Vance to hoist up 20 jumpshots?
20 shots a game? Vance better be careful. He just may shoot himself out of a European contract.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll put it like this.

Any player who wants to go to Rutger's as a means of showcasing their talent????

Well, says a lot about the individual.

UConn has lots of 'splaining to do about transfers as a whole, but this says volumes about Jackson.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
would he be the first "lottery pick" to choose RU?

So Vance is looking at RU while Steve is going to Louisville. I'm beginning to think the stars are out of alignment

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Because he's a 7th man talent at UConn. He's not a 7th man talent at Rutgers. Nor would he be at bucknell.

This says it all, actually. Team Jackson needs Vance to be a star. Not going to happen at a good program, so they're choosing star at bad program instead of solid starter at good program. I don't know what in the world KO is supposed to do about that.

Wait - Vance Jackson is the 7th best player here?

pj

Reaction Score
Wait - Vance Jackson is the 7th best player here?

He's behind Jalen, Alterique, and Terry. I'd take Christian Vital ahead of him by a nose, although Vance may have more potential. I think Polley has the potential to be better than Vance, due to superior size and athleticism, but it will take him a few years to catch up. Diarra could be good, we'll see.

So, 5th best.

But in 2018-19 he might be the 7th best player, after our incoming class of Simi Shittu, Iggy Brazdeikis, Isaiah Mucius, and Immanuel Quickley joins Alterique, Christian, Polley, and Diarra.

Reaction Score
He's behind Jalen, Alterique, and Terry. I'd take Christian Vital ahead of him by a nose, although Vance may have more potential. I think Polley has the potential to be better than Vance, due to superior size and athleticism, but it will take him a few years to catch up. Diarra could be good, we'll see.

So, 5th best.

But in 2018-19 he might be the 7th best player, after our incoming class of Simi Shittu, Iggy Brazdeikis, Isaiah Mucius, and Immanuel Quickley joins Alterique, Christian, Polley, and Diarra.

The kid made the all conference rookie team and led the conference in 3 point shooting. He deserves more credit than that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's likely third or fourth. Christian's good, but not quite as good.

Jackson somehow made the all-conference rookie team and his freshman year was scads better than what Larrier did at VCU.

He's good - he'll likely be very good before he's done.

pj

Reaction Score
The kid made the all conference rookie team and led the conference in 3 point shooting. He deserves more credit than that.

So, you put him ahead of Christian at #4?

Reaction Score
He's likely third or fourth. Christian's good, but not quite as good.

Jackson somehow made the all-conference rookie team and his freshman year was scads better than what Larrier did at VCU.

He's good - he'll likely be very good before he's done.

I agree. He will be an above average college scorer. The question will whether or not he ever plays defense. It's a shame. In this day and age, of you are good, the scouts will notice you. You don't have to shoot 20 shots a game to get the NBA's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom