Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa) | The Boneyard

Pikiell/Hobbs working Vance (or vice versa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be fair to Vance, he never said he was leaving because of the northeast. He just complained about the cold--of course, New Brunswick isn't much warmer in January.
Yea I don't think I've ever heard Juwan or Vance say that part of the reason they were transferring was proximity to home. Seems like something that people just manufactured because it was an easy assumption to make

Reaction Score
His dad wanted him closer to Los Angeles.

There's nothing we could do about that.

Yes but does he know that Karl Hobbs installed the current UConn guard-oriented offense?

Heh.

Honestly, I don't think you could reproduce all the elements that made the kid complain at any other school but Rutgers.

UConn legacy: CHECK
Northeast cold: CHECK
Coached w/ Ollie: CHECK
Ran Guard oriented offense: CHECK

Reaction Score
Yea I don't think I've ever heard Juwan or Vance say that part of the reason they were transferring was proximity to home. Seems like something that people just manufactured because it was an easy assumption to make

It was easy though because the kid complained about the weather. But you're right.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes but does he know that Karl Hobbs installed the current UConn guard-oriented offense?

Heh.

Honestly, I don't think you could reproduce all the elements that made the kid complain at any other school but Rutgers.

UConn legacy: CHECK
Northeast cold: CHECK
Coached w/ Ollie: CHECK
Ran Guard oriented offense: CHECK

He'll go there and he'll become "the man" for that team. They'll run stuff for his offense, I'm sure. He'll play a large amount of minutes, I'm sure. If that's what will make him happy, more power to him. I'm sure people will speculate the heck out of how much this has to do with Ollie, but at the end of the day, he's heading to Rutgers. Take that for whatever it's worth...

Reaction Score
He'll go there and he'll become "the man" for that team. They'll run stuff for his offense, I'm sure. He'll play a large amount of minutes, I'm sure. If that's what will make him happy, more power to him. I'm sure people will speculate the heck out of how much this has to do with Ollie, but at the end of the day, he's heading to Rutgers. Take that for whatever it's worth...

Him going to Rutgers will have me speculating more about Vance than Ollie.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He can have fun at discount Providence. Can't see how he's rationalizing this move, they must've told him he'd be a point forward.

Reaction Score
Intrigued to see which coach agrees to Vance Sr's wish. Not sure why a coach would agree to shape an offense around a 7th-man type talent, but dumb things have been done before.

Rutgers would take him in a cocaine heartbeat. They are struggling for players despite being in the Big Ten. If VJ does wind up there, this had nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with his relationship with this coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Rutgers would take him in a cocaine heartbeat. They are struggling for players despite being in the Big Ten. If VJ does wind up there, this had nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with his relationship with this coaching staff.

I don't think so. His going to Rutgers reinforces several things about Vance. He wants to be the MAN. His father said as much in his tweet. At UConn he was not going to be featured over Larrier, Gilbert and Adams. I also don't know if he realizes how much they lose, or how many fans attend their games. Weren't there something like 39 Rutgers fans at one game a couple years ago?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think so. His going to Rutgers reinforces several things about Vance. He wants to be the MAN. His father said as much in his tweet. At UConn he was not going to be featured over Larrier, Gilbert and Adams. I also don't know if he realizes how much they lose, or how many fans attend their games. Weren't there something like 39 Rutgers fans at one game a couple years ago?

Bingo.

There's only one reason that a player with his skill set goes to Rutgers. To be "the man". This almost certainly has nothing to do with Ollie in my opinion. Hey, best of luck to him. I hope he finds what he was looking for...

Reaction Score
Yeah, based on the quotes from dad when he transferred, this move would make sense.

Reaction Score
Vance $enior looking at Rutgers like:
XfG6plb.jpg

Reaction Score
At the end of the day ALL kids at this level of division 1 think they will be NBA players.....since the age of 12 everyone has told them so.

It's up to the coach to convince the kid he'll get him to the promised land.....they don't care all that much about UConn only what UConn (or Rutgers) can do for them.

If Rutgers (or another school) showcases VJ better than UConn maybe he made the best choice for him, but sitting out a year is a huge gamble when he had a bright future (I think) at UConn.

Reaction Score
Intrigued to see which coach agrees to Vance Sr's wish. Not sure why a coach would agree to shape an offense around a 7th-man type talent, but dumb things have been done before.

Because he's a 7th man talent at UConn. He's not a 7th man talent at Rutgers. Nor would he be at bucknell.

This says it all, actually. Team Jackson needs Vance to be a star. Not going to happen at a good program, so they're choosing star at bad program instead of solid starter at good program. I don't know what in the world KO is supposed to do about that.

Reaction Score
He can get 15-20 shots a game there. He would not go to Rutgers to play defense.

Couldn't agree more that he is looking for 15-20 and I wish him the best of luck. That said, I'm curious to see what those shots look like. I feel like Ollie would have killed for another player who could create their own shot and be somewhat efficient. Jackson had more than enough minutes to step up and fill that role and it never really happened, so I don't get where he is magically going to get open looks. If he's THE MAN he's also going to draw the opposing team's best defender and that can make for a really tough season. I know this has been beat to death, but he needs a point guard that can penetrate and kick to the perimeter which he had with Jalen. The Celtics are a model for this where you can go to the NBA if you can play D and knock down shots from deep. What a disservice for him to go to Rutgers to be THE MAN and likely get lost trying to do everything. I don't have any reason to root against a 20 year old who is trying his best to find his spot, but this one is such a head scratcher.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more that he is looking for 15-20 and I wish him the best of luck. That said, I'm curious to see what those shots look like. I feel like Ollie would have killed for another player who could create their own shot and be somewhat efficient. Jackson had more than enough minutes to step up and fill that role and it never really happened, so I don't get where he is magically going to get open looks. If he's THE MAN he's also going to draw the opposing team's best defender and that can make for a really tough season. I know this has been beat to death, but he needs a point guard that can penetrate and kick to the perimeter which he had with Jalen. The Celtics are a model for this where you can go to the NBA if you can play D and knock down shots from deep. What a disservice for him to go to Rutgers to be THE MAN and likely get lost trying to do everything. I don't have any reason to root against a 20 year old who is trying his best to find his spot, but this one is such a head scratcher.
Strange things is he was tentative on taking open shots and you could see KO telling him to take them.

The only thing I could see is the offense ran differently with DHam and Terry Larrier than it did with Vance and that could have been the issue between KO and the Jacksons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom