PGA at Bellerive | The Boneyard

PGA at Bellerive

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shorter course and rain has made it easy to plop irons on the greens.

Someone started off round 3 birdie birdie to put some excitement in the air.

I'll be boring and say Day, DJ or Koepka.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There is zero buzz about this major. This is a PGA fail - too soon after Open. Should be minimum of 4 weeks between the Open & PGA and ideally 5 or more. The wrong Tommy Flanagan getting a check was a bigger story this week than anything related to the PGA tourney.

Reaction Score
The two best outcomes for American Golf are:
1.A Tiger win
2. A Ricky Fowler win
Both are in contention @ -6 and -8

Reaction Score
Very underwhelming course, someone shoots 62 tomorrow and wins it.

Reaction Score
Bellerive is a joke. Might as well be playing the tournament at TPC River Highlands.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Moving to May will help out dramatically.

Plenty of good courseswill be added to rotation.

Bellerive is long past being a championship level course. Some courses like Merion can withstand technology and better athletes. Bellerive can't.

Reaction Score
There is zero buzz about this major. This is a PGA fail - too soon after Open. Should be minimum of 4 weeks between the Open & PGA and ideally 5 or more. The wrong Tommy Flanagan getting a check was a bigger story this week than anything related to the PGA tourney.
Their own tv schedule is killing it. Nobody saw the best rounds.

Reaction Score
Surprise Koepka didn't go lower today, he seems to be in cruise control.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Koepka was absolutely cruising and then hit a couple of really bad tee shots. He recovered with a great save on the par 3 and a birdie on the par 5 to give himself a little distance (2 shots). I really thought he was going to come back to the field with a bogey on 16.

There are 11 guys within 4 shots, so it's a pretty open final day and all of those guys have game, experience and a bunch of majors. I'm not sure the group at 7 under is out of it, but they would have to go really low.

No matter where they put the pins, the course is short and the greens will continue to be receiving so they can go at almost any flag. First guy to shoot a 64 or 63 wins? Could be.

I look at the leaderboard and I waiver back and forth on a winner if I had to predict. Koepka's been there before, so I'll go with him (obviously not a stretch).

As for this being one of the less interesting majors, I have to agree. As already indicated, too soon after the Open Championship, a course that isn't a a real PGA test, poor coverage overall and way way too many commercials. My god - the commercials. 4 or 5 shots covered, 4 or 5 commercials, 4 of 5 shots covered, 4 or 5 commercials. It's ridiculous. The only saving grace is we don't have to hear Johnny Miller.

Reaction Score
Moving to May will help out dramatically.

Plenty of good courseswill be added to rotation.

Bellerive is long past being a championship level course. Some courses like Merion can withstand technology and better athletes. Bellerive can't.
Disagree on Merion. I think it is a little short for a major these days. Too bad that so many great old courses have been overpowered by the new equipment. Some of the pros on the senior tour are actually hitting the ball farther than they did in their prime on the PGA tour.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Disagree on Merion. I think it is a little short for a major these days. Too bad that so many great old courses have been overpowered by the new equipment. Some of the pros on the senior tour are actually hitting the ball farther than they did in their prime on the PGA tour.

When Rose won the US Open at Merion, the winning score was in line with US Open numbers. Unlike the goofiness in 2017.

Right now I'd say Bellerive''s biggest drawback is green speed and up keep of the greens. Due to the weather the greens are soft and they can't do much to speed them up. Also, greens are getting torn up and those who play earlier in the day have much better putting conditions than the later groups.

All that being said, it looks like players have to come out swinging (literally and figuratively) on the front nine and try to hold on during the back 9.

I'll go with -13 for the winning score.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am rooting for a complete Adam Scott collapse. Long putters should not be allowed on the regular tour. Save that crap for the senior tour.

Reaction Score
I am rooting for a complete Adam Scott collapse. Long putters should not be allowed on the regular tour. Save that crap for the senior tour.

Did you see him practicing with a regular putter after yesterday’s round? Anyway I agree.

Only hope is Tiger makes the place roar even if he loses that may be the only exciting thing in this major.

These guys have this course at its knees for the most part considering it’s a major.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing Spieth, DJ, Rory...How come nobody talks about Koepka? Is he not sexy enough for ESPN?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I keep hearing Spieth, DJ, Rory...How come nobody talks about Koepka? Is he not sexy enough for ESPN?
You forgot to add Rickie - it's amazing how popular he is considering he only has 4 tour wins (and no majors) in 8+ years. Lots of second place finishes including three in majors. But if you keep finishing 2nd, that eventually means something.

180 degrees different is Koepka who has 3 tour wins, 2 being majors, in 4+ years and he gets little buzz. Not sure why - charisma? marketing? lack of social media presence? They talked about it a bit yesterday and there's a perception that he's just a bomber with little technique. You obviously have to have some technique to win 2 majors. If he wins today, I think that all changes and he will be a force for years to come with a lot more buzz around his name.

Reaction Score
Rory making a mess out of his round today, how many times will he hit it in the water??

Reaction Score
You forgot to add Rickie - it's amazing how popular he is considering he only has 4 tour wins (and no majors) in 8+ years. Lots of second place finishes including three in majors. But if you keep finishing 2nd, that eventually means something.

180 degrees different is Koepka who has 3 tour wins, 2 being majors, in 4+ years and he gets little buzz. Not sure why - charisma? marketing? lack of social media presence? They talked about it a bit yesterday and there's a perception that he's just a bomber with little technique. You obviously have to have some technique to win 2 majors. If he wins today, I think that all changes and he will be a force for years to come with a lot more buzz around his name.
If Koepka wins this he is neck and neck with Rory and Spieth and well ahead of all the other guys you always hear about.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can say Koepka over powered Erin Hills.

Shinnecock should have put that narrative to rest. No one wins Shinnecock without stellar iron play and touch on the greens.

Funny thing is Koepka has the look of an athlete and should be easily marketable.

Not sure why he doesn't get more run.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rory making a mess out of his round today, how many times will he hit it in the water??

3 wet so far through 10.

And he's -1 for today's round.

Reaction Score
Wish I could do that. ;^)

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Tiger on first, 149 from fairway bunker with a PW... sticks it 8 feet

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tiger missed every fairway on front 9 and plays it -3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom