PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 27 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Give KO a break - adjusting to life after Bunk - he's trying and making some inroads - Bunk had a lot of sizzle that needs replacing but in different ways.
Chief, any word on when that statue of bunk is going up outside of gampel?

Reaction Score
Speaking of guards what is the story with Trevon Duval? He is a 5* who holds offers from a lot of major programs but none from Duke or Kentucky. I haven't seen us connected to him a lot even though we offered.
think there might be concern he could be another potential academic casualty like terrance ferguson and head overseas. Duval spent one year at API which has ties to Prime prep.

Reaction Score
think there might be concern he could be another potential academic casualty like terrance ferguson and head overseas. Duval spent one year at API which has ties to Prime prep.
Thanks @tcf15 I just saw a tweet from one of the bloggers that UCLA may be the leader with Duval. Don't they already have like 15 guards this year and next?

Reaction Score
Exactly. I think we ultimately pick up 3 recruits in 17, possibly 4. As I've said we need 2 of MAL, Waters, Beatty, and Diallo. Then we also need a big man.
Could be wrong but I believe we'll have 5 open schollies for next years team. I'd certainly prefer to use at least 4, if not all, on '17 guys.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Could be wrong but I believe we'll have 5 open schollies for next years team. I'd certainly prefer to use at least 4, if not all, on '17 guys.
Correct, assuming no late freshman add or reclass.

Reaction Score
Give KO a break - adjusting to life after Bunk - he's trying and making some inroads - Bunk had a lot of sizzle that needs replacing but in different ways.
Was Bunkey also recruiting for all the other schools as well? Because the majority of top 100 recruits haven't committed anywhere yet. Or maybe the other schools just respect him so much that they're all waiting to give us some time to adjust to life after Bunkey

pj

Reaction Score
Was Bunkey also recruiting for all the other schools as well? Because the majority of top 100 recruits haven't committed anywhere yet. Or maybe the other schools just respect him so much that they're all waiting to give us some time to adjust to life after Bunkey

Bunky was so good he could recruit everyone to everywhere. He was the most interesting recruiter in the world.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bunky was so good he could recruit everyone to everywhere. He was the most interesting recruiter in the world.
What we can say is that UConn is in a Bunk funk! I hope this horrible comedy is just killing things.

Reaction Score
Don't understand this talk from a couple of posters who say he isn't quick and is a poor athlete. He's tiny but he's plenty quick and athletic.

Reaction Score
Every time I watch highlights of this kid, he reminds me more and more of Shabazz. Step back jumpers to create space for lack of size, crafty with ball around the rim, holding defenders on his hip. He should be our #1 target at PG.

Reaction Score
Every time I watch highlights of this kid, he reminds me more and more of Shabazz. Step back jumpers to create space for lack of size, crafty with ball around the rim, holding defenders on his hip. He should be our #1 target at PG.

I'm starting to agree with this. Before, I thought I'd prefer MAL but he was very unimpressive this past weekend. He was sloppy and played lazy defense. Now I'll take Tremont. Waters+Adams+Gilbert+HamD=Crazy good.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm starting to agree with this. Before, I thought I'd prefer MAL but he was very unimpressive this past weekend. He was sloppy and played lazy defense. Now I'll take Tremont. Waters+Adams+Gilbert+HamD=Crazy good.

So one bad weekend changes everything, huh?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'll happily take either. The fact that Waters is a better shooter and more likely to be around for four years makes me prefer him, but I won't spend a single second being disappointed if we have to "settle" for MAL instead.

Reaction Score

Except Shabazz is 3 inches taller. I'm also surprised by the regular references to Shabazz finishing skills on here. He was certainly a "crafty" finisher, but by percentages he was not very good at all. I don't know exactly but I saw his shot chart after his senior year before the draft. His strength was in his shot off the bounce.

Keep in mind guys that this is ONE GAME that MAL played. How many times have people freaked out over a bad game by one of our players. When all other reports--including those by one of the best hs coahces in the country--say he is a staunch defender, we should be believing that.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind guys that this is ONE GAME that MAL played. How many times have people freaked out over a bad game by one of our players. When all other reports--including those by one of the best hs coahces in the country--say he is a staunch defender, we should be believing that.
Along with that, it was his 21st game in 24 days. People rarely account for the crazy schedules these kids are on during the July live periods.

EDIT: Make that 21 games in 19 days. Live periods started on July 6 and ended July 24.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree MAL played a lot of games and the announcers made a point of saying he was tired, and, he was the leader of an undefeated team which is impressive. Also they might have played more than 1 game on days. But when comparing to Tremont it is not fair to say this is one game for MAL that is an outlier. Quoting part of my own post from Feb 10th in the MAL thread after I went to the Cushing vs Procter game.

"... if he hasn't got the ball on offense he is standing and watching, on defense standing and watching is his preferred strategy. On occasions with a full on scrum under the basket, there is 1 player that doesn't jump or hit the floor and you can guess who. He seeks and takes a ton of contact on his drives to the basket, but prefers to wave at guys on defense. I'm sure UConn would coach the proper ethic, but it was disappointing that his DNA has an off and on switch possession by possession. For all the talent of Ben Gordon and Jerome Dyson, they would both float at times in a disinterested fashion and then take it to high gear, that is what I saw this afternoon...."

In spite of reports from at least 1 of the recruiting services that he might be the best defending guard in the country, it is not what I have seen so far in three games watched, so what I'm believing is what I'm seeing rather than what I "should be believing" based on "all other reports". The 'in season' game was not part of a marathon where he was tired so it is fair to question whether his defense is something you get every day when you compare MAL vs Waters. There is plenty positive to say as in the full post I made, but there isn't just one set of 'facts'.

Reaction Score
Along with that, it was his 21st game in 24 days. People rarely account for the crazy schedules these kids are on during the July live periods.

EDIT: Make that 21 games in 19 days. Live periods started on July 6 and ended July 24.

Didn't realize he played that many games. That's asking a lot of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom