PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like two small guards with skills. As the college game has lost talent to the pros over the years, smaller guards with skills have consistently performed as upperclassmen. Small guys generally have a better handle and scoring touch. They also seem to shoot free throws better. I'll play those two together no problem.
IMO, it's not as much that smaller guards perform like upperclassmen, but that skilled small guards tend to stick around longer than skilled big ones who often jump to the pros after one to two years.

We often see our junior and senior smallish guards dominate as a result of having a few years of development and in the system compared to what a skilled bigger freshman or sophomore guard contributes for UK and programs that take a lot of short-timers. Kemba and Shabazz are two perfect examples of what an small upperclassmen guard can do to lead your team to a championship. Compare that to the long list of one and two year one or even two year wonders that go elsewhere and simply aren't mature enough or developed enough leadership to help lead to an NC. Now there are some rare exceptions, but as much as I'd love to land recruits that are among to very best at their position, I'm fine with the results we've seen under JC's and now KO's leadership.

Now I wouldn't tell some top recruit, nah, we don't want you. You're just too good, too big and too strong to be a Husky. :) I don't think that we're not getting those types of recruits because of not trying to land them, and like everyone else here, I do get excited when I see some top 10 kid interested in UConn. I don't think we can argue with the results we've seen over the past 16 years. With that said, it would be interesting to see KO land a top player or two at their position (like a HamD) while still loading up with as many 2nd and 3rd tier recruits (IDK, say top 30 to 100 types).

I still kinda like seeing UConn flip those McD AA Burger boys with a team that has none to a couple Burger AAs of our own. Something about witnessing a gritty UConn team outwork and out-will what most see as superior tournament teams. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it nearly as much if I were a fan of UK that just about rolls their roster completely over every two years. KO brought in a very nice 2016 class. I'm very excited to see if he can follow that up with as good if not better 2017 class and then see what those kids can do over the next few years. If he can add the right pieces and keep most of them intact, I would not be surprised to see NC Banner #5 raised up sometime within the next 2 to 3 years.

Reaction Score
I said they perform "as upperclassmen." What I meant was that you end with experienced, quick and highly skilled smallish upperclassmen competing against bigger players with less skill and experience. I like that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Fremont Waters' top 7. No UVA or Stanford, which is interesting.

This is INCREDIBLY good news for us. If Duke & UK land Green and Young (which I think they will), we have to be considered heavy favorites for Tremont.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Honestly I can't believe providence wasn't all over this kid, not even in the top 7.

Reaction Score
I remember when one of the 247 guys, believe it was meyer, said stanford was going to be tough to beat because tremont is a good student and wants a challenging academic experience. This was before duke offered him, but stanford has not been heard from since they offered.

Reaction Score
Coaching change likely did not help Stanford. Haase could end up being a good coach for them but that switch has to make Palo Alto look less enticing. Gtown and Indiana are interesting since I have not heard them linked to him all that much. Nice to see he gave the nod to his hometown school, Yale.

Reaction Score
I'm tempering my expectation here. Trae Young was supposed to be a package with porter and i don't see any way he doesnt play for his step father or father at UW. I know these things fizzle out all the time, but those two have been playing together for awhile so the bond seems tight. Waters may be option C for duke or UK but I think this is the scenario that takes him out of consideration for us.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is the 2017 class coming together much slower than the 2016 one. I remember last year on Independence Day we got the AG commit at which point we already had Mamadou. 2017 hasn't had a commit yet well into mid summer, granted about 90% of the top 100 still seems in-committed.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is the 2017 class coming together much slower than the 2016 one. I remember last year on Independence Day we got the AG commit at which point we already had Mamadou. 2017 hasn't had a commit yet well into mid summer, granted about 90% of the top 100 still seems in-committed.

We also have a big class for 2016. I wouldn't expect us to pull in five recruits for '17.

Reaction Score
We also have a big class for 2016. I wouldn't expect us to pull in five recruits for '17.

Exactly. I think we ultimately pick up 3 recruits in 17, possibly 4. As I've said we need 2 of MAL, Waters, Beatty, and Diallo. Then we also need a big man.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One thing I'll never forget is when AJ Price said Waters was the best player he ever played against in the Pro AM last year. That's quite a statement and Waters was only 16/17 when he said that.

Reaction Score
I'm tempering my expectation here. Trae Young was supposed to be a package with porter and i don't see any way he doesnt play for his step father or father at UW. I know these things fizzle out all the time, but those two have been playing together for awhile so the bond seems tight. Waters may be option C for duke or UK but I think this is the scenario that takes him out of consideration for us.
I would temper expectations of course always with recruiting. However I doubt Trae Young picks UW over Duke or Kentucky. Those two schools end up getting Green and Young. I agree Porter goes to UW. I'm sure they didn't hire the relative because he was the most qualified person in D1 basketball. Package deals fizzle out much more often than they actually work it seems like.

Reaction Score
Speaking of guards what is the story with Trevon Duval? He is a 5* who holds offers from a lot of major programs but none from Duke or Kentucky. I haven't seen us connected to him a lot even though we offered.

C

Chief00

Give KO a break - adjusting to life after Bunk - he's trying and making some inroads - Bunk had a lot of sizzle that needs replacing but in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom