PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Looks as though Darius Perry is heading to Louisville a PG.

Certainly looks like we end up with Waters or MAL. I think MAL is better but the shooting concerns make sense. So I'm fine with whichever one commits first.
If Tremont was 6'1" or 6'2" like MAL he'd be a top 20 player in his class. MAL is a full steam ahead, power guard with, IMO, not as much finesse or feel for the game as Tremont. They are both great players, but I'd be more comfortable with a guy like Tremont running the point and also playing off the ball with Alterique than I would with MAL doing the same. It will be far harder for MAL to drive to the hole at will in college, but shooting translates to any level, and that is where Tremont excels even with his size.

Reaction Score
Waters is much more of a point guard too. Hell, MAL is pretty much a SG for Rivals, with Bede as a lead guard. MAL plays more like Monta Ellis (granted I've only watched him live a few times).

Waters reminds me a lot of Ulis. Plays defense like a swarm of bees and can really shoot it. Floor vision isn't quite as good but he's still going to be a top shelf college passer. I love that kids game, although we do already have an undersized guard.

Given our current guard depth, I know this wouldn't happen, but a backcourt with both of these guys could easily succeed at any school

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
They are all good players - let's not over analyze or rationalize - just close the deal!
It does, in fact, take two to close the deal. What we lack (I surely do) is patience. Hard sell closes don't usually work when the buyer already knows he has
a number of options. This kind of prospect need to be aware that the seller has options as well. I really like the way KO has come out of the post sanctions
era with recruiting. Have faith that he can and will continue to learn and adjust all the while continue to sharpen the skills he has already demonstrated.

Reaction Score
If Tremont was 6'1" or 6'2" like MAL he'd be a top 20 player in his class. MAL is a full steam ahead, power guard with, IMO, not as much finesse or feel for the game as Tremont. They are both great players, but I'd be more comfortable with a guy like Tremont running the point and also playing off the ball with Alterique than I would with MAL doing the same. It will be far harder for MAL to drive to the hole at will in college, but shooting translates to any level, and that is where Tremont excels even with his size.
I guess the question is can you play Gilbert and Waters together in the backcourt. That's an awfully small backcourt. Yeah, I know Napier and Boatright won a national championship that way but Napier was bigger than both of these guys.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams
AG
Vital

Thats who we have playing guard in 2017, a ton of minutes available at pg/sg. MAL fits nicely in here but so does Diallo who likes to push in transition like adams. I could see swinging and missing on MAL and Waters but getting a lower ranked combo along with diallo.

Reaction Score
Bede putting on quite the show in first half as of now. Wow kid is a player. Wonder if it is only a matter of time before that kids offers pick up

Reaction Score
Bede putting on quite the show in first half as of now. Wow kid is a player. Wonder if it is only a matter of time before that kids offers pick up

Bede has had a good summer with MAL. His ranking should go up & he'll get some better offers. Wonder if Ollie is paying attention to Bede?

Reaction Score
Bede has had a good summer with MAL. His ranking should go up & he'll get some better offers. Wonder if Ollie is paying attention to Bede?
You guys aren't the only ones who have noticed. He's been a great surprise for them this year, and his recruitment has really soared.

Butler, V Tech, Dayton, and TA&M have all offered recently. Those are some fantastic coaches. He's up to 78 on 247's list. He's a legitimate player. He and MAL always have great things to say about each other, however I think in MAL's case he needs to be playing point at the next level and wouldn't want to take lead guard time away from each other.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Movement on Crystal Ball, thanks for the heads up Sam. Is something brewing for MAL?

Reaction Score
ooo even the UL insider, Mike Hughes, has him coming our way. What a great way to start a class, with a highly rank player at a coveted position.

fingers crossed*

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Man, I'm really not as high on MAL as a lot of people. Good player but I'd MUCH rather have Tremont. Obviously I trust KO's judgement, I just think there's more downside to MAL than upside. He'd be the 3rd guard though so I guess the depth he would add has a lot of value.

Reaction Score
Man, I'm really not as high on MAL as a lot of people. Good player but I'd MUCH rather have Tremont. Obviously I trust KO's judgement, I just think there's more downside to MAL than upside. He'd be the 3rd guard though so I guess the depth he would add has a lot of value.
He's going to have a much easier time finishing at the rim than Waters and even Gilbert. He has the best layup game of any HS I've seen us recruit in he past few years.

N

NotBlueOlliewood

Completely agree with you, and I personally know him and the players for Mass Rivals. Tremont has the better handle, shot, and vision, but MAL is the better player? The only pro I'll give Makai over Waters is height. I can't remember who was the member that wrote this, but if Tre was 6"1/6"2, this wouldn't even be a debate right now.

Off topic, I would love to see Ricker's analysts for both kids. His reports are always right on the money when it comes to these New England kids.

N

NotBlueOlliewood

He's going to have a much easier time finishing at the rim than Waters and even Gilbert. He has the best layup game of any HS I've seen us recruit in he past few years.

Respectfully disagree with that. Gilbert's layup game is incredible, to where he is constantly compared to Kyrie. Best body control I've seen in years. MAL doesn't have an off-hand at all, which is going to be a weakness. Kid does have athleticism that's similar to Jalen's though.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Seems like Kemba was our last great finisher, Gilbert seems to be great as well.

Reaction Score
maybe in time, but not yet. He can certainly get to the rim, but not a true finisher. He probably will, but the time put in when the lights are off, is usually a big factor.

Reaction Score

MAL's coach who also coached Jalen said that MAL has higher upside than Jalen and claimed he was the best defensive HS player in the country. I've seen him only once live and he shot it pretty well. Wr should be ecstatic if MAL commits

pj

Reaction Score
MAL's coach who also coached Jalen said that MAL has higher upside than Jalen and claimed he was the best defensive HS player in the country. I've seen him only once live and he shot it pretty well. Wr should be ecstatic if MAL commits

This is great to hear. Defense wins championships. I always trusted KO's prioritization of MAL but if he really is the best defensive HS player in the country, I'm going to start planning my next championship celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom