PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recruiting guy i yalk to said he has a dyson feel to him. Hard noise player

Reaction Score
MAL is way quicker and more athletic then Tremont. Even Ullis was way quicker and more athletic then Tremont. I worry he won't be able to beat people off the dribble at college.

I would take MAL over Tremont but whoever wants to commit first is fine.

Reaction Score
You guys aren't the only ones who have noticed. He's been a great surprise for them this year, and his recruitment has really soared.

Butler, V Tech, Dayton, and TA&M have all offered recently. Those are some fantastic coaches. He's up to 78 on 247's list. He's a legitimate player. He and MAL always have great things to say about each other, however I think in MAL's case he needs to be playing point at the next level and wouldn't want to take lead guard time away from each other.
Oklahoma offered.

Reaction Score
Watched his game on ESPN and he didn't look good at all. Sloppy with the ball, lazy running back and constantly beat off the dribble. Also one of the announcers said he needs to work on his defense before the game started....and it looked like it after I watched him. But it was just one game and they said that his team doesn't run any plays. To me he seemed like he would be solid in a more structured setting.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Watched his game on ESPN and he didn't look good at all. Sloppy with the ball, lazy running back and constantly beat off the dribble. Also one of the announcers said he needs to work on his defense before the game started....and it looked like it after I watched him. But it was just one game and they said that his team doesn't run any plays. To me he seemed like he would be solid in a more structured setting.
I watched that game too which stemmed my concerns. Defense looked lazy, and the handle did not look good. Out of control. Bede looked like a much better player.

N

NotBlueOlliewood

I watched that game too which stemmed my concerns. Defense looked lazy, and the handle did not look good. Out of control. Bede looked like a much better player.

Makai recently stated in an interview that the areas he needs to work on are handles and shooting like Bede. Bede was the better player throughout the tournament. As for Coach Pastore saying he has a better upside than Jalen, I need a link of that. Vin's favorite player was Jalen and it's not even close. He tells his players all the time that Adams was the best player he's ever coached.

Reaction Score
Makai recently stated in an interview that the areas he needs to work on are handles and shooting like Bede. Bede was the better player throughout the tournament. As for Coach Pastore saying he has a better upside than Jalen, I need a link of that. Vin's favorite player was Jalen and it's not even close. He tells his players all the time that Adams was the best player he's ever coached.

I can't find the link but I remember reading that as well--he may have specifically referencing defensive upside though. I'll try to find it somewhere. His new coach (first year at Cushing) also praised his defensive abilities.

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: UConn recruiting profile: Makai Ashton-Langford

Not sure if this article has been posted here before but it's a pretty good one. Seems like a good finisher with an improving shot. If Ollie wants him, I trust his judgement. Meets the eye test too.

Reaction Score
UConn, Providence track Makai Ashton-Langford

Found the article. From an accomplished coach who definitely loved Jalen as a player, that's a pretty hefty compliment.

Says he's the best defensive stopper in the country w/ higher upside than Jalen. This was last year before Pastore quit. Promoting his own guys is in his best interest, but still...

His stats from this season are:

22 Pts.
6 AST
4 RBD
4 STL

No percentages or anything listed though. Cushing doesn't use Maxpreps so I can't compare to Jalen.

Reaction Score

Bede is a year younger, and rising fast, but right now he's not a better player. If he continues his improvement he may end up being better though. Remember that on the Rivals team, Makai is usually guarding the opponents best player, and being guarded by their best defender on the other end.

Bede is an awesome player and could end up being a 5* if he keeps it up--who knows. But I think a one-shot analysis of Makai were hearing on the board (not just from you, not hate intended) is iffy. He's an excellent athlete, solid finisher, developing leader on the court, and most likely a terrific defender. I trust a real, accomplished basketball coaches analysis far more than an ESPN talking head's opinion from watching him in a game or two.

Keep in mind that shooting is the easiest thing to improve. You cannot improve your speed that much working out, and a player certainly can't get taller or longer. I'd like to see Kai improve his shooting and his true PG skills (handle, vision) even more to become elite.

I watched a couplefew games and it looks like they run Bede and Kai together UCONN-style, switching duties when needed.

Adidas Stats through 12 games:

Kai:
15.7ppg
.442FG%
.576FT% (that's horrendous for a guard--indicative of his shooting issues?)
.273 3P% (again, shows he's a struggling shooter)
4.3RPG
3.1APG
1.5TOPG
1.7SPG
.9pf/game

Bede:
7.7PPG
.341FG%
.588FT%
.25 3P%
2.6RPG
3.2APG
1.6TOPG
1.0SPG
1.6PF/G

Reaction Score
Both MAL & Bede reclassified back a year. MAL will be 19 this fall so he's a bit old for his class. He'd be 20 by the time he plays in college, kinda similar to Jalen (late year BDay). I'm not sure of Bede's BDate, but he should be 18 or 19 by the time he enters college too.

Also Tremont will be 19 entering college & 20 by 2nd semester (Jan BDay). I actually thought Tremont would reclassify back into 2016, but that obviously hasn't happened. He has the academics to do it.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dyson would be the best player on the court this year. So yeah, the boneyard probably should.
I loved JD - a gamer and a warrior
BUT REALLY?

Reaction Score
Ummm no, sorry.

Jerome Dyson averaged 13.8, 12.5, 13.2 and 17.7 points per game in his 4 years. His freshman and senior years those were team leading. He also averaged 3.9 rpgand 2.9 apg over his career. I love Purvis and the young guys and he certainly had his flaws but the guy was legit.

Reaction Score
BUT REALLY?

BUT REALLY?

The guy is 15th on the career points list while missingg 9 games his soph year due to suspension and 9 games his junior year due to injury. He'd be well into the top 10 scoring at his average for those 18 games. He's not an all-timer but he was a serious college basketball player. There's certainly talent on the current roster but most have a lot to prove. I'd take Dyson over all of them....Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom