OT: - Pats v. Chiefs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats v. Chiefs

Reaction Score
I'm neither a hater nor massive fan of Brady, but British commentators mentioned he will have played in about 17% of the Super Bowl games. Absolute rubbish QB!

Reaction Score
Giants sure did. The Eagles got him last year. Good pressure. Finished them off with a sack I think.

Chiefs pressure was non existent dreadful gave Brady all day he was never concerned. And when the DC elected to bring others TB knew it and lit them up.

Coin toss sucks but Ford is the MVP just a stupid move he was so far in the neutral zone it was pitiful but that was ball game. Saints and Chiefs should actually be playing lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Chiefs pressure was non existent dreadful gave Brady all day he was never concerned. And when the DC elected to bring others TB knew it and lit them up.

Coin toss sucks but Ford is the MVP just a stupid move he was so far in the neutral zone it was pitiful but that was ball game. Saints and Chiefs should actually be playing lol

The Patriots running game has been instrumental in keeping pass rushers off of him. When they repeatedly gash your defense for 15 yard draw plays, it doesn't help your pass rush. The line is very solid as well, and nobody gets rid of the ball more quickly.

I'm convinced that there are two big keys to winning in the NFL.
1. Your head coach either needs to be the GM or have a very tight relationship with the GM. They have to agree on personnel moves. It's amazing that people ignore the fact that Belichick is the only coach/GM in the game.
2. Your QB has to be an OC on the field, adjusting plays based on what he sees. Defenses run so many shifts and fake fronts that the original play call is going to be a bad one half the time. Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees are or were great at this.

Some QBs, like Mahomes, beat defenses by being creative post snap and turning busted plays into something. It's a very valuable skill, but you are better off adjusting pre-snap. Not saying Mahomes won't develop that, but it's something learned with experience.

Reaction Score
Still hate how a coin toss dictates the winner. Sure, you can say New Orleans lost after winning the toss but the odds must be much better when you receive. I wish the NFL would adopt college football OT rules.

Reaction Score
He put up absurd numbers. Threw for 734 yards against Oklahoma in his junior year
Thanks, had never really heard of him down in Texas. 10th pick that year, even the lowly Jets passed on him (no pun intended). The kid was a bomber I noticed, but has adjusted very well to the NFL. KC got a good one, and more importantly will keep that stadium full for years to come. Its only a season and too early to proclaim he'll be a great one, but he certainly looks to have what it takes. He was not scared of the Great Pats and it showed, including not playing desperate but sticking to the game plan. That was a mature move.

Brady even went to their locker room to privately chat with him after the game. Probably selling him on coming over to the dark side.

Reaction Score
We should have hired Tony Romo as DC at UConn. The guy narrated the last 10 minutes of that game like he was sitting there playing Madden on the couch with his buddies.

edit: predicted instead of narrated
I've watched Brady for most of his career (not every game, and not a Pats fan), but Romo telling me when he was changing the plays made me feel stupid. Like you say, he rubbed it in each time by adding the direction he thought the play was heading. I didn't know who that voice was during the game but I felt he was very insightful.

Romo is much better on a seat, than on his seat. I liked him.

Reaction Score
The Patriots running game has been instrumental in keeping pass rushers off of him. When they repeatedly gash your defense for 15 yard draw plays, it doesn't help your pass rush. The line is very solid as well, and nobody gets rid of the ball more quickly.

I'm convinced that there are two big keys to winning in the NFL.
1. Your head coach either needs to be the GM or have a very tight relationship with the GM. They have to agree on personnel moves. It's amazing that people ignore the fact that Belichick is the only coach/GM in the game.
2. Your QB has to be an OC on the field, adjusting plays based on what he sees. Defenses run so many shifts and fake fronts that the original play call is going to be a bad one half the time. Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees are or were great at this.

Some QBs, like Mahomes, beat defenses by being creative post snap and turning busted plays into something. It's a very valuable skill, but you are better off adjusting pre-snap. Not saying Mahomes won't develop that, but it's something learned with experience.

On #1, the coach/GM thing usually ends in disaster.

On #2, Tom Brady's don't grow on trees. If you do get one, he sure as hell wont be the 16th highest paid QB in the league. You will have to pay him.

The Patriots are the exception to the exception to the rule. Following their model is not realistic.

Reaction Score
Still hate how a coin toss dictates the winner. Sure, you can say New Orleans lost after winning the toss but the odds must be much better when you receive. I wish the NFL would adopt college football OT rules.
You have to force a punt or only give up a fg. If you can't do that do you deserve to win? Chiefs got every call in the 4th quarter to make their come back.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On #1, the coach/GM thing usually ends in disaster.

On #2, Tom Brady's don't grow on trees. If you do get one, he sure as hell wont be the 16th highest paid QB in the league. You will have to pay him.

The Patriots are the exception to the exception to the rule. Following their model is not realistic.

Not following their model is dumb. It can be done.

Reaction Score
Not following their model is dumb. It can be done.
Brady takes an enormous pay cut that allows them to go pick up guys. Something no other QB does. He married someone that makes more than him and he has never really tried ri squeeze every dollar out of a negotiation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Poor Andy
I was very happy to see Andy fail once again. It was a BS move for him to get the GM that acquired all his talent fired just so he could hog all the credit for Mahomes. I hope he never wins.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Giants fan here
Brady is the master - no if ands or buts about it
If only he could be wearing NYG - yeah the Gmen beat him twice but there is no team or QB that can approach what TB and the Pats have done - my hat off to them:confused:
The Saints got screwed and it looked for a while the Pats may get a screwing
Don't understand how the Chiefs DBs could drape themselves all over NE receivers and the commentators were even saying that the refs were allowing the Chiefs to do so, however the flag was flying against the Pats DBs'
KC has a nice future with their QB - kid is ice

Reaction Score
You have to force a punt or only give up a fg. If you can't do that do you deserve to win? Chiefs got every call in the 4th quarter to make their come back.
Easier said than done. Defenses are exhausted by then. The NFL is pro-offense with all their calls. Most teams are way stronger on offense than defense. I just think both teams should at least get a chance.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but they did get him. If they didn’t the outcome would’ve been different. KC wishes they got him that one time at the end.

It always amazes me to see people give most of the credit to the OL for him being untouched, but it surely has more to do with his quick release. Last week, Ingram and Bosa were shutout, and Bosa was mic'd up talking about all his wins against LT Brown amounting to nothing. This week the top sack team in the NFL shutout. He goes against Aaron Donald in the Super Bowl. Is it his great OL? They deserve credit, so does their coach, but ... throughout the Patriots history, they've made do with castoffs, mid round draftees and mostly UDFAs. This team is no different. That starting 5 had a castoff from San Fran at LT, 3 mid round picks in Mason, Thuney and Cannon, and a UDFA in Andrews. Only Mason is a star OL out of all their guys. The fact he doesn't get sacked has a lot to do with his quick release, and his ability to move in the pocket, and his ability to read the defense pre-snap and post-snap. Most of the credit goes to Brady. He'd do the same with any other OL on any other team. That being said, when he's prevented from using the short passing system, teams can get pressure and hit him hard when he holds the ball longer looking downfield. The Eagles did it last year, and he responded well. The Giants did it well in the first SB and he responded not so well. In the second Giants SB, he was also hit but he had a very good game despite that. The flip side of this is Mahomes. The guy has all the ability in the world, but he held the ball way too long looking for a homerun and one of the most anemic DLs in the entire NFL sacked him multiple times.

OL play and DL play seems to be more of a matter of gameplan and system than anything else. Mahomes can transform his game and be even more dominant than he was this year if he isn't constantly looking for a homerun play.

Reaction Score

Brady said he saw the flag and knew it, considered it a free play, which is why he was looking downfield there.

Reaction Score
You can play a full 15 minute overtime in the playoffs OR give the game to whoever is leading after each team ha had one possession OR give it to the first team that scores 9 points first.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It always amazes me to see people give most of the credit to the OL for him being untouched, but it surely has more to do with his quick release. Last week, Ingram and Bosa were shutout, and Bosa was mic'd up talking about all his wins against LT Brown amounting to nothing. This week the top sack team in the NFL shutout. He goes against Aaron Donald in the Super Bowl. Is it his great OL? They deserve credit, so does their coach, but ... throughout the Patriots history, they've made do with castoffs, mid round draftees and mostly UDFAs. This team is no different. That starting 5 had a castoff from San Fran at LT, 3 mid round picks in Mason, Thuney and Cannon, and a UDFA in Andrews. Only Mason is a star OL out of all their guys. The fact he doesn't get sacked has a lot to do with his quick release, and his ability to move in the pocket, and his ability to read the defense pre-snap and post-snap. Most of the credit goes to Brady. He'd do the same with any other OL on any other team. That being said, when he's prevented from using the short passing system, teams can get pressure and hit him hard when he holds the ball longer looking downfield. The Eagles did it last year, and he responded well. The Giants did it well in the first SB and he responded not so well. In the second Giants SB, he was also hit but he had a very good game despite that. The flip side of this is Mahomes. The guy has all the ability in the world, but he held the ball way too long looking for a homerun and one of the most anemic DLs in the entire NFL sacked him multiple times.

OL play and DL play seems to be more of a matter of gameplan and system than anything else. Mahomes can transform his game and be even more dominant than he was this year if he isn't constantly looking for a homerun play.

Nailed it. And one reason I didn't mind seeing Gordon quit/get booted. There is nothing worse for the Patriots than having a legit, talented deep threat. Brady falls in love with the bomb, holds the ball too long, gets sacked, takes bad shots downfield and they don't move the chains.

Reaction Score

Agreed for playoffs adopt the college rules. The teams get a 2 week break to recover. Put ball at opponent 40 and then do the forced to go for 2pt if it makes it to a 3rd OT.

Very unfair to teams not winning the coin toss

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom