Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
The Athletic has a write-up of Georgetown candidates and Ed Cooley isn't even mentioned. Not sure what that means.
As for Georgetown, it's amazing that they're just now, decades later, moving past John Thompson's era. That's a long time to hold onto the glory days.
That’s literally all they have….they should hold onto that forever. Nothing wrong about that at all

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He would 1000% have them top 5 . Are you serious?
IDK.

Top 5 this year, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, UConn, PC.

Bottom 5, Georgetown, DePaul, Butler, St Johns, Seton Hall.

It is not out of the question that Pitino could ransack the portal and elevated them to Villanova level next year.

Funny thing is the post I was responding to mentioned "top half" of BE next season. So, 11 teams, top half means 5th or better.

I'm expecting UConn, Marquette, Xavier and Creighton to be the top 4 which means Gtown would have to be the best of the rest and I don't see that happening in one year. He'd still have to leap frog peecee and Nova. Buter was Thad Matta isn't going to stay down for long either.

Is it impossible to get in to top 5? Nope. But I wouldn't bet on it.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If you really take a look at Georgetown's season, despite their poor record they were actually quite competitive in most of their games. Be it coaching or recruiting, one could say they just need a couple of pieces in order to the program on the winning side.

And the same could be said for St. John's. Take a look at their scores over the season. There were in most of their games and many of their losses were by a few points, and they even beat it nearly beat some of the top teams in the conference. And look at DePaul-. Another team that has performed better than their record indicates, and I think Coach Stubbs is on the right track their.

The Big East is a tough conference from top to bottom and it's not easy to get wins. I agree though with the change at Georgetown. I wanted Ewing to succeed but six seasons was very generous, and it just wasn't happening.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
That’s literally all they have….they should hold onto that forever. Nothing wrong about that at all
I suppose, unless they're interested in winning games again

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d rather coach PC. The recruiting scene at the New England preps is more pleasant. Plenty of nice country drives to see prospects. Providence is a very livable city with great food, character and far fewer hassles than a large city. Aside from that, Cooley is a Providence guy.

Georgetown and SJU should fight it out for Slick Rick. The loser should hire a young up and comer.
Georgetown has an equal case, if not better for Cooley, on those points too.

I don’t think there’s any basketball recruiting hotbed better than DMV Hoops that would be in his back yard. Also, there’s not a place in the country more diverse than the DMV area as well. Even though he may not need it, coaching and having success at a place like Georgetown would do a lot more for him on a personal level.

Providence just has the hometown advantage but we’ll see how big of a factor that is.

It would be great for Big East basketball imo to get a Cooley at Georgetown and Pitino at St John’s. A lot more high school talent would enter the conference that way outside of us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Fwiw, don’t think it’s as big of a rebuild at Georgetown. I don’t know who is out of eligibility on their roster but they have some pretty good talent. Just need some coaching and they are still in position to be a recruiting power with the right coach. DC is a pretty fun place to be the king basketball school.

Kids just need a reason to go there.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, don’t think it’s as big of a rebuild at Georgetown. I don’t know who is out of eligibility on their roster but they have some pretty good talent. Just need some coaching and they are still in position to be a recruiting power with the right coach. DC is a pretty fun place to be the king basketball school.

Kids just need a reason to go there.
The idea of a big rebuild is kind of antiquated in the transfer portal world. Just need a coach that can effectively tap into it. The right hire could make them competitive next season.

Reaction Score
If you really take a look at Georgetown's season, despite their poor record they were actually quite competitive in most of their games. Be it coaching or recruiting, one could say they just need a couple of pieces in order to the program on the winning side.

And the same could be said for St. John's. Take a look at their scores over the season. There were in most of their games and many of their losses were by a few points, and they even beat it nearly beat some of the top teams in the conference. And look at DePaul-. Another team that has performed better than their record indicates, and I think Coach Stubbs is on the right track their.

The Big East is a tough conference from top to bottom and it's not easy to get wins. I agree though with the change at Georgetown. I wanted Ewing to succeed but six seasons was very generous, and it just wasn't happening.
Georgetown just lost their last 3 games by a combined 92 points, they're terrible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Funny thing is the post I was responding to mentioned "top half" of BE next season. So, 11 teams, top half means 5th or better.

I'm expecting UConn, Marquette, Xavier and Creighton to be the top 4 which means Gtown would have to be the best of the rest and I don't see that happening in one year. He'd still have to leap frog peecee and Nova. Buter was Thad Matta isn't going to stay down for long either.

Is it impossible to get in to top 5? Nope. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Holloway is going to make Seton Hall competitive too. Winning in the Big East isn't easy and Georgetown doesn't really have the advantages over the other schools that some seem to think they do.

Reaction Score
Holloway is going to make Seton Hall competitive too. Winning in the Big East isn't easy and Georgetown doesn't really have the advantages over the other schools that some seem to think they do.
What advantages do they think they have that they don't?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The idea of a big rebuild is kind of antiquated in the transfer portal world. Just need a coach that can effectively tap into it. The right hire could make them competitive next season.
Still not on board. Feel like I may write a blog post or something to dig into all the details as to why.

Haven’t done the research, but I feel like it’s overall bad for teams and player development to consistently rely on guys who’ve been in and learned a program for one year who’s mindset is to naturally “get theirs”. Probably why it’s so hard to see a dominant team nowadays because of the inconsistencies that being transfer reliant causes that you don’t see from guys that play together for 2-4 years.

But don’t need to sidetrack this thread on it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that you've never been to either DC or Providence.
It all depends on what you like, but the point isn't what you or I like, it's what Ed likes, and he likes Providence.

He grew up in Providence. Played at Central HS. Then in New Hampton in NH. Played college ball at Stonehill in MA. Taught at Bridgewater-Raynam HS in MA. Then started coaching at UMass-Dartmouth. Then moved on to URI. Then BC. Then head coach at Fairfield. Then he moved on to PC.

So from birth to now, he's spent one year more than an hour and a half from Providence in his whole life, and that was NH. You think that's an accident?

Reaction Score
Eds not a very good coach anyway… what did they lose.. 4 of the last games of the year?

Reaction Score
Georgetown can win again. But not with Cooley, and he wouldn’t piss all over PC by taking the job anyway. DC is a hellscape, he’s living where he wants to.

Georgetown needs to do what it has needed to so since Thompson, find a younger coach that has won at lower tier schools. The guy at Charleston, Kelsey, won at Winthrop and now has 31 wins in his second season at C of C. There are others but that’s the type of coach they need, not a retread.
If you chose to live in Providence over DC you have some screws loose.

And if you choose to do it for less money then you have major screws loose.

And if you choose to do it when you are a college basketball coach with the difference between the DC area to the New England area in recruiting well then you should be committed.

Maybe Cooley is fine with being at PC and having a ceiling of a Sweet 16, but if he has big boy aspirations his love of the city of Providence should mean little in the decision making.

Reaction Score
It all depends on what you like, but the point isn't what you or I like, it's what Ed likes, and he likes Providence.

He grew up in Providence. Played at Central HS. Then in New Hampton in NH. Played college ball at Stonehill in MA. Taught at Bridgewater-Raynam HS in MA. Then started coaching at UMass-Dartmouth. Then moved on to URI. Then BC. Then head coach at Fairfield. Then he moved on to PC.

So from birth to now, he's spent one year more than an hour and a half from Providence in his whole life, and that was NH. You think that's an accident?
I think he took umbrage with you calling Washington DC a hellscape.

Reaction Score
Still not on board. Feel like I may write a blog post or something to dig into all the details as to why.

Haven’t done the research, but I feel like it’s overall bad for teams and player development to consistently rely on guys who’ve been in and learned a program for one year who’s mindset is to naturally “get theirs”. Probably why it’s so hard to see a dominant team nowadays because of the inconsistencies that being transfer reliant causes that you don’t see from guys that play together for 2-4 years.

But don’t need to sidetrack this thread on it.
I think we're talking two separate concepts. One is consistently relying on it as the basis of your program, which I agree is not sustainable, but what I'm talking about is being able to bring in an initial wave of talent that is ready to compete while you start to build for the future through recruiting. The lead time for a new coach to compete can be much lower these days than it was historically.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm much younger than Pitino and hate the limited business travel I do. First, how many 70 year-old coaches are there in D1, and second, the travel is crazy and it's a year-round job. I don't see a guy his age having the energy. It's a grind.
I’m not a Pitino fan but my guess is he would like the challenge. It’s tougher now with NIL & transfers so coaches have less control over players. Perhaps that’s why Coaches Wright, K & Williams retired?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom