Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
Would love that. He clearly has the "IT" factor. The Shabazz, Boat, Kemba "give me the damn ball" mentality.
Don’t know the mental aspects of adapting to our “culture” but he proved he is BE capable and a local kid that fits a need so it’s possible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you chose to live in Providence over DC you have some screws loose.

And if you choose to do it for less money then you have major screws loose.

And if you choose to do it when you are a college basketball coach with the difference between the DC area to the New England area in recruiting well then you should be committed.

Maybe Cooley is fine with being at PC and having a ceiling of a Sweet 16, but if he has big boy aspirations his love of the city of Providence should mean little in the decision making.
Somebody has opinions they might be projecting. Would you say Georgetown has recruiting advantages over UConn too? How has that worked out? Where are most of the basketball focused prep schools in the country located? Cost of living factored in, you'd probably need to make twice as much in DC for a comparable quality of life. I'd say anyone choosing DC over RI has screws loose. You realize Newport is only 45 minutes from PC, right? Places like Bristol are much closer still and he can easily afford a nice place on the water.
I think he took umbrage with you calling Washington DC a hellscape.
So it seems.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think we're talking two separate concepts. One is consistently relying on it as the basis of your program, which I agree is not sustainable, but what I'm talking about is being able to bring in an initial wave of talent that is ready to compete while you start to build for the future through recruiting. The lead time for a new coach to compete can be much lower these days than it was historically.
Ah I see. Can definitely agree there. They have a good base with Primo and their bigs if they all stay. If they can find a go to wing scorer they can make some noise with the right coach.

People are dying to see Georgetown be good again and they have all the resources necessary to make that happen.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Somebody has opinions they might be projecting. Would you say Georgetown has recruiting advantages over UConn too? How has that worked out? Where are most of the basketball focused prep schools in the country located? Cost of living factored in, you'd probably need to make twice as much in DC for a comparable quality of life. I'd say anyone choosing DC over RI has screws loose. You realize Newport is only 45 minutes from PC, right? Places like Bristol are much closer still and he can easily afford a nice place on the water.

So it seems.
You know ESPN now has an office in DC? It’s actually where Sportcenter is (SVP is from there).

Lol at factoring in cost of living for a millionaire. Only way Providence is better is if Ed simply wants to be lowkey. But even schools like Howard get Dematha crumbs just from being in the area. Not even factoring in what being in a place like this can do for him as a black coach.

There are plenty of good reasons Georgetown would be a great fit for Cooley, the only reason it wouldn’t is because Cooley may be a NE lifer which could very well win out.

Reaction Score
If you chose to live in Providence over DC you have some screws loose.

And if you choose to do it for less money then you have major screws loose.

And if you choose to do it when you are a college basketball coach with the difference between the DC area to the New England area in recruiting well then you should be committed.

Maybe Cooley is fine with being at PC and having a ceiling of a Sweet 16, but if he has big boy aspirations his love of the city of Providence should mean little in the decision making.

At some point don't we have to account for the fact that different people like different things? I only lived in Providence for 4 years but I freaking love the place and would move back there in a minute if I didn't have grown-up connections to a different city. So I can only imagine the joy Ed Cooley gets out of leading the resurgence of his hometown team. And you can live like a king in that town making what he makes.

Maybe he would be intrigued by the prospect of revitalizing a once-proud program that is now pretty moribund if they throw a pile of cash at him. Or maybe he likes being King of Rhode Island and doesn't want to deal with all the headaches that dealing with the Georgetown administration entails. It wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to be perfectly happy where he is.

You'd have to pay me a mountain of money to choose to live in Spokane over all the places Mark Few could be but it works for him.

(And saying PC has a ceiling of the sweet sixteen is just a completely arbitrary statement - they went to the Sweet Sixteen last year and gave the eventual national champion a hell of a game. Its inconceivable that they could win one more game than they did last year? C'mon.)

Reaction Score

So it seems.
No point in debating living in DC vs. Providence. I live outside Boston. We have an office in Providence. I am quite familiar with the city. But everyone has their preferences, I am pretty sure if you did a vote, its not close though.

Gtown has won as many NCAAT games as UConn since 2015. Yes, Gtown is in the pits right now, but as we have shown, you can get out of it quickly with the right coach or fall into quickly with the wrong coach. And I would say locally, yes Gtown has the advantage over UConn, but UConn is irrelevant to the debate. UConn and PC is apples and oranges. One is a national brand, one is a local brand. Getting kids to come to Gtown is a lot easier than it is to PC.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Georgetown just lost their last 3 games by a combined 92 points, they're terrible.
Agreed...they sure didn't finish well, but for a bulk of the season they were competitive. Bottom line is a change needed to be made, and it probably made it easier for the powers that be.

Reaction Score
You guys overrate Georgetown. The modern world is dominated by large state universities. GeorgeTown is on borrowed time.
quite a thing to say when we'in a conference of small private colleges.

also Duke and Nova have won 5 of the last 11 chips. all it takes is the right hire.

Reaction Score
At some point don't we have to account for the fact that different people like different things? I only lived in Providence for 4 years but I freaking love the place and would move back there in a minute if I didn't have grown-up connections to a different city. So I can only imagine the joy Ed Cooley gets out of leading the resurgence of his hometown team. And you can live like a king in that town making what he makes.

Maybe he would be intrigued by the prospect of revitalizing a once-proud program that is now pretty moribund if they throw a pile of cash at him. Or maybe he likes being King of Rhode Island and doesn't want to deal with all the headaches that dealing with the Georgetown administration entails. It wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to be perfectly happy where he is.

You'd have to pay me a mountain of money to choose to live in Spokane over all the places Mark Few could be but it works for him.

(And saying PC has a ceiling of the sweet sixteen is just a completely arbitrary statement - they went to the Sweet Sixteen last year and gave the eventual national champion a hell of a game. Its inconceivable that they could win one more game than they did last year? C'mon.)
They have been to 1 Sweet 16 over what, thee last almost 30 years? I felt like I was being kind giving them that.

And yes, as I said in my next post. Everyone has their preferences.

Reaction Score
quite a thing to say when we'in a conference of small private colleges.

also Duke and Nova have won 5 of the last 11 chips. all it takes is the right hire.
Not to mention he says this as defending a small private college

Reaction Score

assuming this guy is credible, and he very well might be, I still have not heard anything how St. John's would handle the $10M buyout that Mike Anderson has. That's not a tiny pebble in the middle of the road, that's a boulder to get through.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not to mention he says this as defending a small private college
My point is that there isn't much difference between those two small, private colleges in ability to be winning programs. If he was going to move on to replace Izzo at Michigan State or something, that might be different.

Reaction Score
The Georgetown "Bloodline" has finally been broken after 50 years. John Thompson, John Thompson III, and now Ewing. What a legacy. They deserved more than 1 Title with all that talent, but lost some tough Tourny games when it counted. The Iverson/Ray Allen BET final is still Top 3 for me.

Reaction Score
assuming this guy is credible, and he very well might be, I still have not heard anything how St. John's would handle the $10M buyout that Mike Anderson has. That's not a tiny pebble in the middle of the road, that's a boulder to get through.
They have monied alums. Google mike repole

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom