Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
I thought after that "magical" (or whatever you want to call it) run to the BET championship (but before the Colorado game) in 2020-2021 he'd right the ship but they have been absolutely lousy the past two years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gtown had an incredible run with Ewing as a player. That is
35-40 years old.

Outside of that 4 year run, Gtown is normally nationally irrelevant.

It's dead as a basketball school. There isn't an alumnus under age 50 who knows what it is like to root for a relevant team.

Reaction Score
35-40 years old.

It's dead as a basketball school. There isn't an alumnus under age 50 who knows what it is like to root for a relevant team.

Did you completely forget the 90's? Mourning? Mutombo? Iverson? They also were in the final four in 2007.

So in your opinion we live in a world where Gonzaga can be a top program coming from some obscure west coast conference but Georgetown can never be a winning program again in the Big East?

Pitino would have Georgetown in the top half of the Big East next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did you completely forget the 90's? Mourning? Mutombo? Iverson? They also were in the final four in 2007.

So in your opinion we live in a world where Gonzaga can be a top program coming from some obscure west coast conference but Georgetown can never be a winning program again in the Big East?

Pitino would have Georgetown in the top half of the Big East next year.

Over a 35 year period, making one Final Four in 2007, meets the definition of normally nationally irrelevant.

And no, Pitino wouldn't have Gtown in the top 5 of the BE next season.

Reaction Score
Over a 35 year period, making one Final Four in 2007, meets the definition of normally nationally irrelevant.

Cooley slapped together a bunch of transfers into a top 5 Big East team this year. Miller also turned around Xavier in one season.

The idea that Georgetown can never be a winning program again is asinine. Houston is currently ranked #1 and they were in far worse shape 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
Four of their 5 starters and their 6th man (Breed) returned from last year. What are you talking about?

Providence 2022/23 season preview:

"Eight players, including all five starters, have departed, leaving a crisis of experience. Gone are 6’10 post stalwart Nate Watson (13.3/5.2), backcourt finisher Al Durham (13.6/3,4), sharpshooter AJ Reeves (9.9/2.8), do-everything forward Noah Horchler (9.9/8.5), and defensive maestro Justin Minaya (6.5/5.5)."

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cooley slapped together a bunch of transfers into a top 5 Big East team this year. Miller also turned around Xavier in one season.

The idea that Georgetown can never be a winning program again is asinine. Houston is currently ranked #1 and they were in far worse shape 10 years ago.
Georgetown can win again. But not with Cooley, and he wouldn’t piss all over PC by taking the job anyway. DC is a hellscape, he’s living where he wants to.

Georgetown needs to do what it has needed to so since Thompson, find a younger coach that has won at lower tier schools. The guy at Charleston, Kelsey, won at Winthrop and now has 31 wins in his second season at C of C. There are others but that’s the type of coach they need, not a retread.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Pitino is definitely going somewhere. He wants to go out from a major program. Georgetown and St. John’s both religious based schools would hire him after the last fiasco? Are all the nuns and priests just for show?
Isn’t forgiveness a central theme for Catholics? Lol

Reaction Score
35-40 years old.

what a crazy take.

Reaction Score
Georgetown can win again. But not with Cooley, and he wouldn’t piss all over PC by taking the job anyway. DC is a hellscape, he’s living where he wants to.
A lot to unpack in this take. Georgetown absolutely can and almost certainly would win again if they were able to hire Cooley. I doubt it will happen (maybe Cooley flirts with them to get leverage for a raise). Also, what are you talking about with DC is a hellscape? I highly doubt Cooley would be living in Brentwood. DC is a hell of a lot nicer to live in if you have money than Providence.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Boeheim. He is friends with Calhoun. However, Ialso don’t like the way he handled things on his end. He could have said some encouraging things about Adrian Autry and shown him more support . He made everything about him and only him.
Not sure about the friendship you mention. Boeheim always disparaged UConn.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Boeheim. He is friends with Calhoun. However, Ialso don’t like the way he handled things on his end. He could have said some encouraging things about Adrian Autry and shown him more support . He made everything about him and only him.
Boeheim has zero class and feels totally entitled. Ewing is a class act and feel bad for him.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Pitino talk. The guy will be 71 at the start of next season so I doubt he'll want to take on a full rebuild like this. St. John's definitely seems like the better option for him as they're already decent enough for him to build something much more quickly than at GTown.
Agreed. I'm much younger than Pitino and hate the limited business travel I do. First, how many 70 year-old coaches are there in D1, and second, the travel is crazy and it's a year-round job. I don't see a guy his age having the energy. It's a grind.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The Athletic has a write-up of Georgetown candidates and Ed Cooley isn't even mentioned. Not sure what that means.
As for Georgetown, it's amazing that they're just now, decades later, moving past John Thompson's era. That's a long time to hold onto the glory days.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

IDK.

Top 5 this year, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, UConn, PC.

Bottom 5, Georgetown, DePaul, Butler, St Johns, Seton Hall.

It is not out of the question that Pitino could ransack the portal and elevated them to Villanova level next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom