Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
Maybe Thompson talked to him when he was dying and asked him to take over the program if Ewing got fired, and he just feels he needs to do it because of that connection? Because like you said this makes zero sense.

If this is just about money or even if he thinks he has a better chance to win, he‘s an all time idiot for playing up the loyalty angle to the degree he has.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What if The Rock has come back to Providence? But instead of The Rock it was The Rick?

Reaction Score
I live in Boston now so I am closer to PC than my UConn Huskies. I went to my first game ever in Providence and I will go next year again when UConn comes to town. But if Cooley ends up going to Georgetown I am thinking I will go to that game too. The atmosphere would be electrically charged like Lebron going back Cleveland after going to the Heat or like Terrell Owens going back to Philly after going to Dallas.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The way you’re posting it sounds like a done deal. If so can’t see the players having a good game! It really sucks. And how does Cooley believe he’s treating the players better than the fans? Hope he doesn’t leave.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The way you’re posting it sounds like a done deal. If so can’t see the players having a good game! It really sucks. And how does Cooley believe he’s treating the players better than the fans? Hope he doesn’t leave.
Imagine if Calhoun or Hurley left Storrs to go to St John’s, Seton Hall, or Georgetown. There would be riots and looting.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Imagine if Calhoun or Hurley left Storrs to go to St John’s, Seton Hall, or Georgetown. There would be riots and looting.
That’s exactly what I’m imagining.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The worst part about it is that Cooley can just say no. Come out with a statement saying “no I’m staying at PC.” But he’s not.

It’s no coincidence Ewing was getting the axe, these rumors dropped, and PC started its slide. Cohen on FriarTalk admits Georgetown is actively pursuing, which to me is a scumbag move. I feel bad for PC fans I’d be pissed.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I get the loyalty thing and Providence fans have a right to be upset, but there’s a lot of great reasons it would be beneficial for Cooley to coach at Georgetown outside of money. Especially if he has a connection with John Thompson.

It’s just a no brainer career move. Go from having alumni support like Ryan Gomes to Alonzo Mourning, Mutumbo, AI, etc. He’d actually have a chance to win a NC there.

Fwiw I think Georgetown may have been the only school to pull Cooley. No inside source just a gut feeling that I don’t think a Kentucky or even Michigan gets this done (I think Michigan pursued at one point?)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The worst part about it is that Cooley can just say no. Come out with a statement saying “no I’m staying at PC.” But he’s not.

It’s no coincidence Ewing was getting the axe, these rumors dropped, and PC started its slide. Cohen on FriarTalk admits Georgetown is actively pursuing, which to me is a scumbag move. I feel bad for PC fans I’d be pissed.
Exactly. Say he's staying at PC and it ends the cloud. And that type of cloud almost always impacts teams performance.

So why not come out and say it?

Best case scenario is he told his players and coaches he's definitely not leaving and allowing the circus surrounding him make opposing teams coaches think Providence is going to underperform.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the widespread sentiment from PC fans that Georgetown is acting immorally by trying to poach a coach who's in conference. Last time I checked, we don't have some special obligation to other conference members. It's a strange appeal to a principle that I don't think does or ought to exist. Other conferences do this all the time. For example, Miss. State AD just jumped to Auburn.

Reaction Score

If I was a PC fan I definitely would be pissed. I am a little pissed now. Everything Ed Cooley has asked for, he has gotten: upgraded facilities, more money to recruiting budget, pay increases for assistant coaches and staff to retain them, etc.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
If I was a PC fan I definitely would be pissed. I am a little pissed now. Everything Ed Cooley has asked for, he has gotten: upgraded facilities, more money to recruiting budget, pay increases for assistant coaches and staff to retain them, etc.
The words used on their forum is “he’s holding us hostage.”

Reaction Score
I don't understand the widespread sentiment from PC fans that Georgetown is acting immorally by trying to poach a coach who's in conference. Last time I checked, we don't have some special obligation to other conference members. It's a strange appeal to a principle that I don't think does or ought to exist. Other conferences do this all the time. For example, Miss. State AD just jumped to Auburn.
Miss St AD is not a good comparison. That is an administrative job. We're talking about a coach who is actively leading young men in a basketball season.

This would be more palatable if they waited until PCs season ended. But of course that's more risky for Gtown

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's like a wife cheating with your brother as opposed to a stranger. Double transgression.

Reaction Score
Chris Beard went from Tech to Texas before his horrific actions.. It happens.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s time for the BE to ‘suddenly’ add a no transfer within the conf rule for coaches….like they did with players sitting for 2 years

Reaction Score
The entire situation is out of control. Remember JC flying to SC to talk about going there to coach? Nothing like this. Vast majority of Friar fans are already turning on Cooley which if rumors are true will only push him away. With their recent lethargic play “something” is going on. Throw Pitino into the mix and the drama continues. Buckle up :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The entire situation is out of control. Remember JC flying to SC to talk about going there to coach? Nothing like this. Vast majority of Friar fans are already turning on Cooley which if rumors are true will only push him away. With their recent lethargic play “something” is going on. Throw Pitino into the mix and the drama continues. Buckle up :)
The spin by many posters in this forum was that JC was interested in being closer to his second home to play more golf. REALLY?!? That was after our disappointing season and he asked "the greatest basketball fans" to show up for the NIT game at Storrs because he knew his players needed fan support to have a chance. We let him and the team down.

Cooley might have a similar underlying basis if fans were booing his players on senior night. However it appears contact was made before that event so it could be what he will use as cover if he leaves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom