Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year

Reaction Score
So by using the "SEARCH" Function which so many people ignore-it is easy to see the numerous posts on this. The excerpt I am about to post is from Feb 24th "requirement for banner in Gampel" from our own @meyers7 to which I know most us base our knowledge on as it is extremely logical. Now if you care to cite your sources for "disagreement" instead of stating "NO", that would be much appreciated.

Yes this comes up every year (at least recently).

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

AP - does 3 (5 player) teams (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team)
WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)
USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.
in the same search results there are many many posts that refutes meyers7 and more than one that cites Carl Adamec, the UConn blog and Geno himself thats says WBCA All American. The WBCA AA team is/was a ten player team, no 2nd or 3rd team but it may have changed last year when they changed how many players a coach could nominate though that may have changed a couple of years before that.

edited: Meyers7 in a later post:
CajunHusky said:
Here is some reading for you regarding Wall of Honor:

Huskies wait to see if honors come Tuck's way

There is one way for a University of Connecticut women's basketball player to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor and that's by being named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team.
www.sny.tv
j66kicker said:
The article starts out, "There is one way for a University of Connecticut women's basketball player to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor and that's by being named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team. That's been coach Geno Auriemma's rule since the honors program started in 2006."

This is what I have always thought.
Thanks, had never seen that. Doesn't really matter now though. If you're on the 1st team AP or 1st team USBWA, both 5 players teams now, about 100% chance you'll be on the WBCA 10 player team. In fact IF any player ever did make the AP or USWBA 1st team (5 man) and didn't make the WBCA, I think Geno would put their name on the wall. I'd bet your life on it.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if a player had made the 10 person USBWA team and not the WBCA, seeing as how they list all 3.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
For years it was a little vague - first team AA was stated but no specification as to which list. Then sometime in the last 8-10 years Geno was asked and he specifically named WBCA first team. Since that is a 10 member first team and the other major ones are 5 person, it generally doesn't matter, but ...

It is interesting because a NPOY, NDPOY, Lieberman, or now any of the five position awards would seem to be pretty exceptional qualifications but Uconn is sticking with AA. Some time in the distant future when Uconn is not the dominant power, they may change the criteria to keep recognizing outstanding players, but not now.

I do not believe there is a published criteria.
Has there ever been a banner hung before senior night?

Reaction Score
Next year will be some tough for Paige to win since,
there are 2 people will fight this award, Paige and Azzi :p .
I wouldn’t be shocked if Fudd has a less-acclaimed freshman season than Bueckers. For one, she’s coming off an ACL injury, and as a shooting guard I don’t think she’ll have the ball in her hands quite as often.

My primary reasoning, though, is that this UConn team is unlikely to lose anybody and gains a loaded freshman class. There are only so many shots to go around in a 40-minute game. At the end of the day, that’s going to manifest in improved team success, so it’s not a drawback for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Watching her accept the award is great but she's no Diana. You know DT would have had a thing or two to say for sure.
I used to be a big fan of DT. But now it is all Paige and Breanna and Maya and Sue.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be shocked if Fudd has a less-acclaimed freshman season than Bueckers. For one, she’s coming off an ACL injury, and as a shooting guard I don’t think she’ll have the ball in her hands quite as often.

My primary reasoning, though, is that this UConn team is unlikely to lose anybody and gains a loaded freshman class. There are only so many shots to go around in a 40-minute game. At the end of the day, that’s going to manifest in improved team success, so it’s not a drawback for the Huskies.
I agree. I don't see Fudd approaching the season Bueckers has had. Mainly as it won't be necessary. The offensive load will be much more spread out but she will be a dangerous option in close games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First Congrats and well deserved!

And just a thought - sort of an indictment of this senior class that it wasn't a closer vote.

I mean, the FOY award is a tie from the WBCA, and the AP NPOY is a slam dunk - different voters and candidates obviously, but still.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First Congrats and well deserved!

And just a thought - sort of an indictment of this senior class that it wasn't a closer vote.

I mean, the FOY award is a tie from the WBCA, and the AP NPOY is a slam dunk - different voters and candidates obviously, but still.
The WBCA is voted on by coaches. The process tends to be a bit more systematic and analytical.

On the other hand, the AP voters are sports journalists, who I would suggest are influenced significantly by the momentum of a media narrative that builds behind a particular candidate.

While all the other candidates are great players, the momentum behind Paige started during the SC game and continued to build unabated ever since.

Reaction Score
The WBCA is voted on by coaches. The process tends to be a bit more systematic and analytical.

On the other hand, the AP voters are sports journalists, who I would suggest are influenced significantly by the momentum of a media narrative that builds behind a particular candidate.

While all the other candidates are great players, the momentum behind Paige started during the SC game and continued to build unabated ever since.
This made me think of something. What becomes of these media based awards if the NIL thing goes through and a media outlet could pay an athlete for maybe regular content provided? Possible conflict of interest?

Reaction Score
As the voting indicated, it wasnt even close. Paige was doing things on the court that no other player in NCAA WB was doing. Not just about stats, she was essentially the QB out there making all of her teammates better. No coincidence that AE, Nika, CW have all gotten so much better throughout the year. A pleasure to watch her play - a game within a game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This made me think of something. What becomes of these media based awards if the NIL thing goes through and a media outlet could pay an athlete for maybe regular content provided? Possible conflict of interest?
Let’s just hope there is some level of journalistic integrity.......I guess that sounds like an oxymoron.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She got on the wall when named to the AP 1st team. She is now the owner of the greatest Freshman season ever and is looking pretty good to be the 4th person on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn WCBB joining Taurasi, Stewart and Moore.
Have you forgot #50! There will have to 5 heads on that mountain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom