Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers AP National Player of the Year

Reaction Score
Congrats Paige! I've been impressed by your basketball skills, but even more impressed by your leadership and who you are as a person. Now lets go get that trophy that isn't decided by a vote!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Still doesn't get Paige on the Wall of Honor. Hard to believe she won't be one of the 10 Members of the WBCA All American announced sometime this week. That will get her on the Wall.
Ugh...as note many times-YES she's on the wall because of the AP 1st team selection last week.

Cool Hand Luke Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Holy crap!

Now watch her be the first frosh to go pro.

:welp:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Watching her accept the award is great but she's no Diana. You know DT would have had a thing or two to say for sure.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Congratulations Paige!!.....Geno's like, here you are, ur the best, enjoy it, but there's still work to do to top off ur freshman legacy , just thk at least 3 more years of her!....WOW!!!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Still doesn't get Paige on the Wall of Honor. Hard to believe she won't be one of the 10 Members of the WBCA All American announced sometime this week. That will get her on the Wall.
Being on the AP first team puts her on the wall.
Can someone point us to a link were the Wall of Honor prerequisites are specified? Or copy and paste them here?
This goes back and forth quite often and it might be nice to know what awards are actually Wall worthy.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Watching he accept the award is great but she's ni Diana. You know DT would have had a thing or two to say for sure.
Well I've never heard PB use expletives which shows class..DT could learn from PB

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can someone point us to a link were the Wall of Honor prerequisites are specified? Or copy and paste them here?
This goes back and forth quite often and it might be nice to know what awards are actually Wall worthy.
Thanks in advance.
For years it was a little vague - first team AA was stated but no specification as to which list. Then sometime in the last 8-10 years Geno was asked and he specifically named WBCA first team. Since that is a 10 member first team and the other major ones are 5 person, it generally doesn't matter, but ...

It is interesting because a NPOY, NDPOY, Lieberman, or now any of the five position awards would seem to be pretty exceptional qualifications but Uconn is sticking with AA. Some time in the distant future when Uconn is not the dominant power, they may change the criteria to keep recognizing outstanding players, but not now.

I do not believe there is a published criteria.

Reaction Score
No you're incorrect. Only WBCA All American Qualifies a Player to get on the Wall of Honor.
According to the media guide, Kara Wolters made the AP first team twice and the WBCA first team once and is considered a two-time All American ??‍♂️

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So well deserved! I am so happy for her! Paige is the complete package and not to take anything away from the other great college players, but Paige brings out the very best in her teammates. Other players may have been better statistically but she brings out the best in her teammates and to me that's the most important attribute any great player will have.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Gonzaga men play in a weak league too--and they are routing everyone!
Speaking of which, seems Paige helped out Jalen before their game.

"JALEN SUGGS: Oh, of course, I was extremely nervous. All game, I was pacing back and forth. I couldn't sit down. But yeah, I had it on. And then I texted her after. And then we FaceTimed and talked for a little bit. And last night, she said some things that really helped me because, you know, I've been kind of-- I've been kind of struggling, trying to-- trying to catch-- get my footing in these tournament games.

And of course, seeing her-- seeing her go out there and play great like she did and then talking afterwards, she kind of said some words. It kind of got me uplifted, get me going, definitely helped tonight. But yeah, that was a great game last night. She's the GOAT for a reason. So yeah, I was definitely tuned into it."

Reaction Score
Thanks in advance.
it's been pointed to many times. and people still manage to "forget" ...... WBCA AA gets you on the wall.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No you're incorrect. Only WBCA All American Qualifies a Player to get on the Wall of Honor.
So by using the "SEARCH" Function which so many people ignore-it is easy to see the numerous posts on this. The excerpt I am about to post is from Feb 24th "requirement for banner in Gampel" from our own @meyers7 to which I know most us base our knowledge on as it is extremely logical. Now if you care to cite your sources for "disagreement" instead of stating "NO", that would be much appreciated.

Yes this comes up every year (at least recently).

Again there are 3 major groups/organizations that have AA lists. (a bunch of smaller irrelevant ones for this, also)

AP - does 3 (5 player) teams (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team)
WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)
USBWA (United States Basketball Writers Assoc) - does 1 (10 player) team (1st team)

UCONN states 1st team AA. (nowhere have I read what specific organization(s) that means)

From history, if you are on the 1st team AP list, you'll be on the WBCA list. We can assume if you make either one of them you're on the wall. We have never had anyone make the USBWA list and not be on the WBCA list, so we have no proof that one would also count. However, in UCONN's Media Guide, they list AP, WBCA and USBWA AA's. So I would assume, making any of the 3 (1st team) would count.

Reaction Score
I am happy for PB and she deserves it. She may already be the best player I have ever seen in College.

But it will not be worth spit if we don't win the title. If we win the title, it's worth its weight in gold.

IMHO, that is what individual awards are worth in a team game.

Don't care about MVPs, dont care about first team AA, dont care about player of the year. All I care about is the ring....

PB can celebrate the ring with her teammates, but without the ring, how do you celebrate player of the year???

Reaction Score
I know the voting occurred prior to the Baylor game and there were other players who deserved serious consideration, but it was the Baylor game that secured my vote (if I had one). Paige made a decision in that game to take it over and she did. Amazing accomplishment for anyone. Off the charts accomplishment for a freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom