Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer

W

wolfe613

How many championships have the Kardashions won? NIL is all about marketability. Bueckers will be rich before she graduates because everyone likes/admires her and she has a compelling personality.

Christian Laetner couldn't sell ice in hell despite his ring.

Further, this is not going to ruin anything in wcbb. A few players will make money. Of the 350 D1 teams NIL should effect maybe 10 teams. And if it makes recruitment more complicated for coaches so what? It only makes a high profile team like UConn more attractive.

Even further, this could be a financial windfall for UConn. If a couple of their players sign deals and appear wearing a UConn uniform then UConn needs to be compensated, no?
rich might be a bit of a stretch

Reaction Score
] I like Paige and I am very happy she is at UConn but good lord people. Can we let her win something first? She hasn’t proven to be our savior yet.
Now if she makes more than the highest paid WNBA player, she may stay for her fifth year due to CoViD rules....

Reaction Score
Now if she makes more than the highest paid WNBA player, she may stay for her fifth year due to CoViD rules....
No chance she will make more than the highest paid WNBA player. Half a dozen players make the supermax base salary of over $220k. Throw in endorsement deals worth $1-2 million for the top echelon, plus whatever they bank overseas. Parker supposedly makes $4.5 million a year all in.

Reaction Score
I don’t care what she makes. What I want her to do is bring home the trophy where it belongs!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No "she" has won 28 college games. Most UConn fans are knowledgeable enough to recognize that that is a tremendous accomplishment.

Paige also "won" all the national player of the year awards she was eligible for namely the AP Player of the Year, the Naismith College Player of the Year, the USBWA Women's National Player of the Year and the John R. Wooden Award and the Nancy Lieberman Award as the top point guard in the nation.. She was the first freshman to receive any of these awards, an astounding achievement.

Further she received First Team All-American honors from the AP and the USBWA. She was a Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Coaches' All-America Team selection. She also shared two major NCAA Division I freshman of the year awards with Caitlin Clark, the Tamika Catchings Award, presented by the USBWA and the WBCA Freshman of the Year award.

By any reasonably well informed metric, Paige has had an amazing freshman season. Much of it was, literally, unmatched by anyone before her. To state that "she hasn't won anything" is woefully uniformed.
Paige is one of the most accomplished college basketball players in history, and doing it as a freshman is mind boggling. I do not have an issue with that. There have been a multitude of great players to take the court for UConn, from Lobo, to Sales, to Stewie, and the list goes on. These players come and go, with new exciting ladies adorning the court for us every year. This forum isn't about Paige Bueckers, or Nakeesha Sales, or Brianna Stewart. Its about Uconn, and as of last year the front of their uniforms do not say Paige, it says UConn. Paige can be the most iconic and important player in our history, but she is just a freshman. We are here because we love UConn basketball, and yes we do love the players because Geno recruits not just great talent, but really great kids. Sue said it herself that the players are judged by NCs. You may disagree, but regardless, I believe Paige will lead us to at least two NCs, and hopefully more. When she does that I will gladly say that she is one of UConns greats, if not the greatest, and the individual awards will be gravy and enhance her legacy. Until then though, lets support her and the rest of our girls and root them to our 12th NC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No chance she will make more than the highest paid WNBA player. Half a dozen players make the supermax base salary of over $220k. Throw in endorsement deals worth $1-2 million for the top echelon, plus whatever they bank overseas. Parker supposedly makes $4.5 million a year all in.
In 1996 Nike jumped on an upcoming 21 year old athlete, giving him a $40 million, 5 year endorsement deal, after he left college following his sophomore year. 5 years later, Nike gave him a $100 million deal. That athlete was Tiger Woods. The deal with Nike was signed before Tiger had won a single major championship. I can absolutely see Nike, Puma or Addidas in a bidding war to sign Paige to a long term endorsement deal that will make her a very rich young lady.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 1996 Nike jumped on an upcoming 21 year old athlete, giving him a $40 million, 5 year endorsement deal, after he left college following his sophomore year. 5 years later, Nike gave him a $100 million deal. That athlete was Tiger Woods. The deal with Nike was signed before Tiger had won a single major championship. I can absolutely see Nike, Puma or Addidas in a bidding war to sign Paige to a long term endorsement deal that will make her a very rich young lady.
Nah. Paige isn't Tiger. She's not even Taurasi or Bird or Parker who as well known as they are in their sports still make peanuts 20 years and multiple gold medals into their pro careers. Tiger plays a popular individual sport while Paige plays a team sport that relatively few, and even fewer in the prized 18-34 demo, care about.

Reaction Score
Why would they do that? What has she done? Right now her money can be made because of social media. Big sports brands aren’t giving big money for non sports related activity. Maybe you guys don’t get it. Because you are at aww does not mean big business is…… yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nah. Paige isn't Tiger. She's not even Taurasi or Bird or Parker who as well known as they are in their sports still make peanuts 20 years and multiple gold medals into their pro careers. Tiger plays a popular individual sport while Paige plays a team sport that relatively few, and even fewer in the prized 18-34 demo, care about.
Obviously, we’re going to disagree on this. There is an absolute parallel between Tiger Woods and Paige Bueckers. Golf was not nearly as popular before Tiger came along. Tiger brought millions of fans to golf who never played, watched or cared about golf. Paige has the potential to do the same for WBB. Let’s see what happens once NIL is fully implemented.

Reaction Score
Obviously, we’re going to disagree on this. There is an absolute parallel between Tiger Woods and Paige Bueckers. Golf was not nearly as popular before Tiger came along. Tiger brought millions of fans to golf who never played, watched or cared about golf. Paige has the potential to do the same for WBB. Let’s see what happens once NIL is fully implemented.
Wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why would they do that? What has she done? Right now her money can be made because of social media. Big sports brands aren’t giving big money for non sports related activity. Maybe you guys don’t get it. Because you are at aww does not mean big business is…… yet.
Non sports related activity? Not sure what you’re talking about. NIL will permit college athletes to sign contracts with shoe companies. Shoe companies are willing to roll the dice on up and coming athletes like Nike did with Tiger Woods. This is not about monetizing your Twitter feed.

Reaction Score
Non sports related activity? Not sure what you’re talking about. NIL will permit college athletes to sign contracts with shoe companies. Shoe companies are willing to roll the dice on up and coming athletes like Nike did with Tiger Woods. This is not about monetizing your Twitter feed.
You CANT compare Tiger and Paige. Ridiculous.
Childhood? Is that you. You didn’t know golf until Tiger Woods or WCBB before Paige?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You CANT compare Tiger and Paige. Ridiculous.
It really isn’t ridiculous. But if you don’t like that comparison, how about comparing Paige to Michelle Wie? Wie had won exactly one tournament, the US Amateur Public Links Championship when, at the age of 15, she signed multiple endorsement deals with Nike & Sony, paying her over $5 million per year. Women’s golf was nowhere near as popular as men’s golf, or WBB for that matter, and yet Wie was set for life at the age of 15.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wie 1 Buecker 0
No. It’s actually Wie 1, Bueckers DQ. Wie had the option to go pro at 15 and earn millions. Paige does not have that option.

You may not like NIL. But it’s coming, and some very talented college athletes will cash in big time.

Reaction Score
No. It’s actually Wie 1, Bueckers DQ. Wie had the option to go pro at 15 and earn millions. Paige does not have that option.

You may not like NIL. But it’s coming, and some very talented college athletes will cash in big.
We shall see. You are putting Paiges horse before the cart. She needs to win first. Kinda like Michelle did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Always appreciate a good disagreement Mdoggie. We are heading for uncharted waters with NIL.
We shall see. You are putting Paiges horse before the cart. She needs to win first. Kinda like Michelle did.
Have to step in here. Paige won 2 FIBA world championships, and every major POY award she was eligible for as a frosh. Wie won the amateur Publinks championship. Don’t see much of an edge for Wie there.

Reaction Score
Im over Paige (JK). AE Soph year and newbie Azzi will shock and awe everyone next season. Paige will be the puppeteer to it all. It’s gonna be awesome!! Oh and I forgot to mention CW realization that she is a beast. This could get ugly!! This team!!!

Reaction Score
Maybe win a national championship first then cash in?
No attack but in sports due to career ending injuries, he who hesitates has lost. Take it when you can make it, simple.
There are other possible negative outcomes that haven't even been imagined yet. Professional sports are going down a path of ruination and i just hope that amateur sports don't find themselves down that same rabbit hole.
Badda bing badda boom we have a bingo here. Totally agree....

So, as much as I admire Paige, she HASEN'T won anything yet.
She has won a ton of trophy's and awards along with the hearts of The UConn Nation. No attack but do you need a list that may go on longer than this thread?
I bet you never heard about the moon until you had a moon pie.
Ahh the olive branch as they argue. ;) Reminds me of a song, you have to have a cola with that moon pie. :D

Reaction Score
Golf was in the doldrums prior to Tiger. Tiger brought an energy to golf along with his skills. Bueckers has that same charismatic personality. Young females follow her and young women are a powerful consumer group.
As someone posted Tiger wasn't a hall of famer or grand slam winner when Nike signed him.

If Bueckers gets 10% of that she will be rich. Maybe not Scrooge McDuck rich but certainly Richie Rich rich. :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think you fully appreciate the extent of her brand value

Reaction Score
I think you might be over valuing
but I appreciate your addition to this discussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom