Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
disagrees with something in another thread, has to act immature and attack in another thread. Don't worry this will be the last time I reply to you. Have a nice day
I'm playing defense here, not attacking.

Reaction Score
MUGA hats in Blue. You think Paige will endorse for me? Lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm playing defense here, not attacking.
Lol, I have to laugh about the whole “I will never reply to you again!” threat. Somehow, I feel like you will manage to go on with your life despite that.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I honestly don't think there's going to be that much of a demand for college players in big commercial national campaigns, especially if they have to dissociate from their schools. Most people know the players because of their school. Take Paige out of the UConn uniform and very few would know who she is or recognize her from any other college kid. That said, who knows what kind of shady back room deals will get made at P5 schools to attract/keep the top talent. Probably lots of football players getting paid $500k for a "car dealership commercial" in $EC country.

Don't understand that quote by Geno. How would we lose Paige? Has Paige made it clear to Geno that her playing for UConn is contingent on being able to make money on NIL? I think the place people need to pressure is the NCAA because if they don't move on this then that's that.
“Take Paige out of a UConn uniform and few would know who she is.” Really? WBB fans around the country have been following Paige since 8th grade.

Geno knows NIL is inevitable and he is taking steps to protect UConn WBB by supporting it. If UConn doesn’t support NIL, and schools around the country do, UConn will undoubtedly be at a distinct disadvantage in recruiting and retaining top players.

I suspect Paige hasn’t said a thing to Geno about money. But awhile back her mother indicated that Paige staying in school for 4 seasons might depend on whether or not she can make some money. I don’t think that was idle chatter.

As I have said before, there are already “back room” deals in college sports. NIL will do a much better job of bringing everything out in the open. Please take some time to listen to Senator Slap’s podcast. He does an excellent job in laying out the issues.

For instance, players will be required to submit contracts for review to a compliance officer to insure that those contracts do not run afoul of the rules. UConn has already hired a consultant to review such contracts.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The CT law is all well and good, but how does it matter if the NCAA still has rules indicating that NIL revenue causes disqualification of eligibility to play?
The NCAA fought a years-long legal battle against Ed O’Obannon on NIL, that was joined by a number of other plaintives, including legendary players like Oscar Robertson. They lost that battle, and the day when NIL is at hand became inevitable.

The NCAA wants no part of more lawsuits on NIL. This time it won’t just be one player fighting a quixotic battle for justice. You will have a bus load of lawsuits from players all over the country, and those lawsuits will be supported by the full resources of both state governments as well as colleges and universities.

While the NCAA has dragged their feet, I would be stunned if they don’t issue comprehensive rules on NIL at their meeting next week. CT’s state law, like many of the laws enacted around the country, provide the ability to amend the law to be in line with NCAA rules on NIL, assuming that the NCAA doesn’t punt again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NCAA fought a years-long legal battle against Ed O’Obannon on NIL, that was joined by a number of other plaintives, including legendary players like Oscar Robertson. They lost that battle, and the day when NIL is at hand became inevitable.

The NCAA wants no part of more lawsuits on NIL. This time it won’t just be one player fighting a quixotic battle for justice. You will have a bus load of lawsuits from players all over the country, and those lawsuits will be supported by the full resources of both state governments as well as colleges and universities.

While the NCAA has dragged their feet, I would be stunned if they don’t issue comprehensive rules on NIL at their meeting next week. CT’s state law, like many of the laws enacted around the country, provide the ability to amend the law to be in line with NCAA rules on NIL, assuming that the NCAA doesn’t punt again.
The NCAA hasn't taken the lead on this. I'm not sure that there won't be more indecisiveness and foot dragging, but otherwise agree.

Reaction Score
Don't think that matters anymore considering the big east is on fox
But our proximity to espn is what I’m referring to! The opportunity for sports related media and endorsements being in our backyard is what I am talking about! Not where we happen to be broadcast!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NCAA hasn't taken the lead on this. I'm not sure that there won't be more indecisiveness and foot dragging, but otherwise agree.
This has been a hot potato for years. The NCAA wants Congress to pass legislation. Congress wants the NCAA to take the lead. What the 18 or so states that have passed legislation have done, imo, is to force the NCAA’s hand on this. I expect the NCAA to come up with something next week. If they don’t, Mark Emmert might as well shutdown the NCAA offices in Indianapolis and layoff everyone.

Reaction Score
“Take Paige out of a UConn uniform and few would know who she is.” Really? WBB fans around the country have been following Paige since 8th grade.

Geno knows NIL is inevitable and he is taking steps to protect UConn WBB by supporting it. If UConn doesn’t support NIL, and schools around the country do, UConn will undoubtedly be at a distinct disadvantage in recruiting and retaining top players.

I suspect Paige hasn’t said a thing to Geno about money. But awhile back her mother indicated that Paige staying in school for 4 seasons might depend on whether or not she can make some money. I don’t think that was idle chatter.

As I have said before, there are already “back room” deals in college sports. NIL will do a much better job of bringing everything out in the open. Please take some time to listen to Senator Slap’s podcast. He does an excellent job in laying out the issues.
I did listen to half of the podcast but it didn't seem like there was any new information that hasn't been regurgitated for the last year.

And yeah most people have no clue who Paige Bueckers is, even in the sports world. I could grab 100 random people off the street here in Connecticut, show them a picture of Paige without a uniform or basketball or anything else that indicates she's a basketball player, and If I find one or two people that recognize her or can tell me her name that would be a lot. While Paige has a large social media following, consider that even the likes of Charli D'Amelio and Addison Rae who have a following several orders of magnitude larger only pull in a few million a year and they are (or were) at the top of the non-celebrity social media food chain. So I dunno maybe someone pays Paige $1000 per post? Not really life changing money. She could make more if Nike or Puma sign her to a sizeable contract now if for no other reason than to lock her up post-college, but even DT-Sue-Stewie's endorsement deals "only" add up to about $1-1.5 million a year. Maybe the car dealership that hired CD to do a commercial hires Paige? What's that worth? I think some view this NIL thing as if it's about to turn student-athletes into multimillionaires, and I just don't see it based on existing benchmarks. There will be some that do well and will be able to afford cream cheese for their bagels, and if I had to guess where that investment goes, it's probably into the cream of the crop of football and men's basketball players.

CT’s state law, like many of the laws enacted around the country, provide the ability to amend the law to be in line with NCAA rules on NIL, assuming that the NCAA doesn’t punt again.
Maybe I'm missing something stupidly obvious here, but why do we need the laws at all? All the NCAA has to do is change their rules to make it permissible for the student-athletes to earn money from their NIL. I don't get why it has to be a mandate from government unless the NCAA just wants plausible deniability where they can say we didn't want to do this, but the government is forcing us, wink wink.

Reaction Score
I never heard of the Lakers before I heard of Lebron. I never heard of the Yankees before I heard of Aaron Judge. I never heard of Barcelona before I heard of Messi. Never heard of Duke before Reddick or USC (Trojans) before Reggie Bush. I need to get out more.
As many of you can tell, I’m home bored today. Need to find a good Netflix series. Any recommendations.

Reaction Score
Huh? So you never heard of the University of Connecticut before you heard Paiges name? Wow. Are you young much like your screen name?
I know those famous University like Stanford, UCLA, Yale but never heard about UConn. I am not young and I start watching nba in year 1997 when Spurs won the champion title. And now I try to watch wnba.

Reaction Score
I know those famous University like Stanford, UCLA, Yale but never heard about UConn. I am not young and I start watching nba in year 1997 when Spurs won the champion title. And now I try to watch wnba.
Ok.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did listen to half of the podcast but it didn't seem like there was any new information that hasn't been regurgitated for the last year.

And yeah most people have no clue who Paige Bueckers is, even in the sports world. I could grab 100 random people off the street here in Connecticut, show them a picture of Paige without a uniform or basketball or anything else that indicates she's a basketball player, and If I find one or two people that recognize her or can tell me her name that would be a lot. While Paige has a large social media following, consider that even the likes of Charli D'Amelio and Addison Rae who have a following several orders of magnitude larger only pull in a few million a year and they are (or were) at the top of the non-celebrity social media food chain. So I dunno maybe someone pays Paige $1000 per post? Not really life changing money. She could make more if Nike or Puma sign her to a sizeable contract now if for no other reason than to lock her up post-college, but even DT-Sue-Stewie's endorsement deals "only" add up to about $1-1.5 million a year. Maybe the car dealership that hired CD to do a commercial hires Paige? What's that worth? I think some view this NIL thing as if it's about to turn student-athletes into multimillionaires, and I just don't see it based on existing benchmarks. There will be some that do well and will be able to afford cream cheese for their bagels, and if I had to guess where that investment goes, it's probably into the cream of the crop of football and men's basketball players.

Maybe I'm missing something stupidly obvious here, but why do we need the laws at all? All the NCAA has to do is change their rules to make it permissible for the student-athletes to earn money from their NIL. I don't get why it has to be a mandate from government unless the NCAA just wants plausible deniability where they can say we didn't want to do this, but the government is forcing us, wink wink.
So you knew that Geno lobbied the State senate on NIL, that UConn had proposed exempting freshmen and that the CT bill provided for a mechanism to coordinate with any future NCAA legislation? Evidently, you are better informed than most of us.

We'll have to disagree on how well known Paige was and is. However, it has been pointed out that Paige had the highest social media following prior to arriving at UConn of any NCAA athlete in any sport, male or female.

In answer to your last question. There is absolutely no reason why we should need any state or federal laws on the books about NIL, except that the NCAA has done nothing on this for years. Ever since the NCAA lost the O'Bannon case, they and their member institutions have been avoiding this issue in the hopes that it would either go away or Congress would resolve it for them. Neither of those things happened. The states have finally stepped in and now it is time for the NCAA to put up or shut up on NIL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never heard of the Lakers before I heard of Lebron. I never heard of the Yankees before I heard of Aaron Judge. I never heard of Barcelona before I heard of Messi. Never heard of Duke before Reddick or USC (Trojans) before Reggie Bush. I need to get out more.
As many of you can tell, I’m home bored today. Need to find a good Netflix series. Any recommendations.
I bet you never heard about the moon until you had a moon pie.
Art Moon GIF

Reaction Score
Her team has won a game or two...but not the two that matters the most to the Uconn dynasty.

How many championships have the Kardashions won? NIL is all about marketability. Bueckers will be rich before she graduates because everyone likes/admires her and she has a compelling personality.

Christian Laetner couldn't sell ice in hell despite his ring.

Further, this is not going to ruin anything in wcbb. A few players will make money. Of the 350 D1 teams NIL should effect maybe 10 teams. And if it makes recruitment more complicated for coaches so what? It only makes a high profile team like UConn more attractive.

Even further, this could be a financial windfall for UConn. If a couple of their players sign deals and appear wearing a UConn uniform then UConn needs to be compensated, no?

Reaction Score
On a previous thread, some raised concerns that NIL would result in the top recruits all wanting to go the the very best programs because that’s where the most opportunity would be. Thus causing the rich to get richer and hurting parity. I don’t agree with that. It could actually work in the opposite way. If a top recruit has NIL as a priority when selecting a team, he/she could go to a school in a smaller city and have a full time job endorsing car dealerships, barbershops, facial salons, pizza joints, Joe’s Diner, and Condom City. Oh the need for a good accountant.

Of course that also requires that she play at UConn where the non-basketball citizens know who she is. I'd bet that if you walked down Main St in Palo Alto or Waco the average person wouldn't be able to name three players on the womens or mens basketball teams.

Reaction Score
Of course that also requires that she play at UConn where the non-basketball citizens know who she is. I'd bet that if you walked down Main St in Palo Alto or Waco the average person wouldn't be able to name three players on the womens or mens basketball teams.
You can walk down Main St in Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, or Stamford and I'll bet the average person couldn't name three players on any UConn team, never mind the women's basketball team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
WBB may not be as popular as MBB or CFB, but I dare say that WBB is at least as popular as Women’s Gymnastics or Women’s Swimming. So what should be a reasonable earnings expectation for the best WBB player in the country? Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky have promoted their respective NIL’s to the tune of net worths currently estimated at $6 million and $4 million respectively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom