Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer

Reaction Score
This is good news honestly, the advantage Uconn has as opposed to other colleges is that ESPN is in our backyard so we get the exposure! With exposure comes opportunity to really cash in on the NIL especially if you’re a more high profile high school player coming in! It’s going to be hard to out recruit us for a while with this rule in place I think!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Her team has won a game or two...but not the two that matters the most to the Uconn dynasty.
28 wins in a given season is a long way away from "not having won anything." Sure the standards are higher at UConn than at most programs but we pay attention to whole season, not just the last couple of games,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What will having a player making a lot of money do to team chemistry. Having one or two players with very expensive clothes and their teammates are wearing k-mart specials might cause some jealousy for sure. Some friendships will be lost, and wcbb won't have the innocence of young people getting an education and living the dream of being able to play a sport while doing so. If the school keeps their money until they leave school, a lot of the athletes will leave as soon as they accumulate any significant amount. There are other possible negative outcomes that haven't even been imagined yet. Professional sports are going down a path of ruination and i just hope that amateur sports don't find themselves down that same rabbit hole.
Paige is more than smart enough to realize that outward signs of money in season will destroy a team and lead to jealousy. I am sure Paige, her family and the coaches will work out a system where any earnings are kept in a fund to be used after graduation (or perhaps in the off season as well)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe deserving of a new thread but to keep in mind the some BY feelings that Paige is already too famous :rolleyes:, I will hide it here.

ESPYS 2021 vote -- Best College Athlete, Women's Sports (espn.com)

Paige is one of 4 nominees for the 2021 ESPYS in her category.

(I wonder how that will monetize?)

The nominees for Best College Athlete, Women's Sports represent four different sports: Paige Bueckers, who won the Wooden, Naismith and Associated Press basketball player of the year awards as a freshman at UConn; Madison Lilley, who was named Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA volleyball championships after leading Kentucky to its first national title; Jaelin Howell, a midfielder at Florida State who was named the Hermann Trophy winner as the top college soccer player; and Odicci Alexander, who led unseeded James Madison to the brink of the championship series at the Women's College World Series. Place your vote and tune in to the ESPYS on July 10 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Reaction Score
On a previous thread, some raised concerns that NIL would result in the top recruits all wanting to go the the very best programs because that’s where the most opportunity would be. Thus causing the rich to get richer and hurting parity. I don’t agree with that. It could actually work in the opposite way. If a top recruit has NIL as a priority when selecting a team, he/she could go to a school in a smaller city and have a full time job endorsing car dealerships, barbershops, facial salons, pizza joints, Joe’s Diner, and Condom City. Oh the need for a good accountant.

Reaction Score
The Future is unknown... Get your degree(s), There is always the possibility of Illness, injury... bad things can happen to anyone, ask Asia Durr.!
and good health/ recovery/ rehab.... to Sabrina!
Is there an " up" side to putting money " in the bank" while you can?

Reaction Score
Not too famous in the world of sports but too famous for UConn standards. Rehashing: you’re judged by championships at UConn. That’s probably why the recruits often say “I wanna win 4”

W

wolfe613

This is good news honestly, the advantage Uconn has as opposed to other colleges is that ESPN is in our backyard so we get the exposure! With exposure comes opportunity to really cash in on the NIL especially if you’re a more high profile high school player coming in! It’s going to be hard to out recruit us for a while with this rule in place I think!
Don't think that matters anymore considering the big east is on fox

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
28 wins in a given season is a long way away from "not having won anything." Sure the standards are higher at UConn than at most programs but we pay attention to whole season, not just the last couple of games,
Unfortunately for the players, we DO pay attention to the last couple of games. 28-2 is at least what we expect every year, and in most cases, thats what we get. Especially in the last 5 years, the last couple of games is a sore subject for the players, the local media, the coaching staff, and yes, as we have heard, the fans. So, as much as I admire Paige, she HASEN'T won anything yet.

Reaction Score
Next thing you know some UConn/Paige fan will have Paige applying for the trailblazers coach job.

Reaction Score
I would guess that most of the money Paige would make would be from monetization of her social media presence (Instagram, TikTok). The contention by many in this thread that "she hasn't earned the right for the recognition she has" is cute.

Like it or not, Paige is a major power already in social media influencing. Whether or not she wins an NC with UConn is irrelevant.

Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and hundreds of other businesses targeting the tween/teen/early 20's age peeps can't wait to pay her to be taking sips of iced coffee while doing silly stuff with her slimes.

For an education on the craziness of this, look no further than CT's own TikTok teen darling Charli Di'Amelio. FWIW her Dad is a UConn alum.

Reaction Score
I hope I’m not coming off as a Paige hater. I just have very high expectations for our UConn players and teams. I expect next season to be filled with “ Azzi this Azzi that”

Reaction Score
The CT law is all well and good, but how does it matter if the NCAA still has rules indicating that NIL revenue causes disqualification of eligibility to play?
That's what I've been saying, but I think what's really going on is the NCAA has already telegraphed to everyone that needs to know that they are about to push through rules changes that allow it, and it will take effect on or retroactively to July 1st. I don't think UConn and other schools would go all in on this NIL stuff and risk disqualifying their best players unless they had some guidance or pre-clearance from the rule makers in Indianapolis.

W

wolfe613

some of the terms in this thread like "higgest bidder gets Paige" like she's not a car at an auction, she's a human being. It feels like ppl here are pimping her out and I've said it before and I'll say it again. She is just a 19 year old girl who enjoys playing the game of cbb and spending time with her friends and enjoying the college life. Her parents keep her grounded and want to do what's best for her so before anyone starts saying oh she's gonna be in this commercial or sign with this, I'm positive her parents will be at the front on any of that but still just let her live her life and stop trying to tell her what she should and shouldn't do moneywise.

CL82

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for the players, we DO pay attention to the last couple of games. 28-2 is at least what we expect every year, and in most cases, thats what we get. Especially in the last 5 years, the last couple of games is a sore subject for the players, the local media, the coaching staff, and yes, as we have heard, the fans. So, as much as I admire Paige, she HASEN'T won anything yet.
No "she" has won 28 college games. Most UConn fans are knowledgeable enough to recognize that that is a tremendous accomplishment.

Paige also "won" all the national player of the year awards she was eligible for namely the AP Player of the Year, the Naismith College Player of the Year, the USBWA Women's National Player of the Year and the John R. Wooden Award and the Nancy Lieberman Award as the top point guard in the nation.. She was the first freshman to receive any of these awards, an astounding achievement.

Further she received First Team All-American honors from the AP and the USBWA. She was a Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Coaches' All-America Team selection. She also shared two major NCAA Division I freshman of the year awards with Caitlin Clark, the Tamika Catchings Award, presented by the USBWA and the WBCA Freshman of the Year award.

By any reasonably well informed metric, Paige has had an amazing freshman season. Much of it was, literally, unmatched by anyone before her. To state that "she hasn't won anything" is woefully uniformed.

Reaction Score
some of the terms in this thread like "higgest bidder gets Paige" like she's not a car at an auction, she's a human being. It feels like ppl here are pimping her out and I've said it before and I'll say it again. She is just a 19 year old girl who enjoys playing the game of cbb and spending time with her friends and enjoying the college life. Her parents keep her grounded and want to do what's best for her so before anyone starts saying oh she's gonna be in this commercial or sign with this, I'm positive her parents will be at the front on any of that but still just let her live her life and stop trying to tell her what she should and shouldn't do moneywise.
All we can go by here are the words Geno supposedly uttered. If he actually said them, I don’t think it’s the people here who are doing the pimping.

Reaction Score
I hope I’m not coming off as a Paige hater. I just have very high expectations for our UConn players and teams. I expect next season to be filled with “ Azzi this Azzi that”
If the players can earn big money, why do you have to hate him/her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If Paige's parents are as grounded as you suggest -- and they are -- I highly doubt the dopey stuff posted on message boards will matter one bit.

W

wolfe613

If Paige's parents are as grounded as you suggest -- and they are -- I highly doubt the dopey stuff posted on message boards will matter one bit.
disagrees with something in another thread, has to act immature and attack in another thread. Don't worry this will be the last time I reply to you. Have a nice day

CL82

Reaction Score
For a kid who has been as amazingly successful as Paige has been both on and off the court, she seems remarkable grounded. Yeah, Paige gets credit for that, but I think her parents deserve some as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom