Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Turning back to Paige (yes I said that) I want her to make lots of money at Uconn. And as a suggestion to Paige if she really wants to become a legend..use a little of that money to endow a future scholly to maybe a walk on each season or maybe to a disadvantaged student who wants to become a future Uconn student. To me if she does that her legacy will be greater than wins vs Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St John's and the rest of the little dippers in the conference.
How many pro players have done that? BTW, I agree with you it is a fine and noble idea, but then again it is always easy to be fine and noble with others people's money.

W

wolfe613

Your example makes my point. I and millions of other people have never heard of Charli D’Amelio. She’s not on Sports Center or Slam Magazine and I wouldn’t know her if I bumped into her on the street, and yet she’s making $4 million a year off of her NIL.

There are 7.8 billion people on the planet. Let’s say 1% of those people follow WBB. That’s 78 million people around the world. Before you suggest that number is too high, it’s estimated that 100 million people in China alone follow WBB.

UConn has an incredible fan base in the US as well as overseas. We know that both Anna and Nika followed UConn WBB for years prior to being recruited.

So let’s say that Nike comes up with a signature shoe brand for Paige. Of those 78 million WBB fans around the world, let’s say 1% end up purchasing Paige Bueckers signature shoes at $50 a pair. That’s 780,000 pairs of shoes generating $39 million in revenue for Nike.

So what is it worth to Nike if 1/100th of 1% of the people on planet earth can be favorably influenced to purchase Nike shoes based on a marketing campaign for Paige Bueckers? Just asking.
what is Slam magazine? Again you are overprojecting the amount of ppl that tune in to watch wbb, if it was as popular as it is the tournament would not be losing 2.5 million dollars

Reaction Score
Do you think her brand is worth more than Stewie's, Bird's, Taurasi's, or Parker's all of whom have spent years cultivating theirs and accomplishing so much professionally to get to that point? If so, why?

Without question.

Her Instagram account has 700,000 followers. If she were to get a shoe deal, she could advertise it to 700,000 people.

Where does Stewie get that sort of exposure? Certainly not from games, even WNBA finals don’t have that sort of exposure. PUMA isn’t going to do it, because companies rarely see a value in marketing women’s apparel when that woman doesn’t already have a huge name.

And exposure leads to exposure. Paige is likely going to be more popular now than she ever will be. Leading to more media time, which leads to more social media followers..and companies are lazy by nature, so Paige’s social media + exposure would lead to companies investing in her more.

Taurasi made a mistake years back by not getting into social media, Bird is starting to now - and if you notice, her Brand is the biggest of the three.

it’s actually a wonderful thing for female athletes, as now women don’t need to depend on companies to give them a fair shot - as long as they’ve done the leg work.

Reaction Score
what is Slam magazine? Again you are overprojecting the amount of ppl that tune in to watch wbb, if it was as popular as it is the tournament would not be losing 2.5 million dollars
Slam magazine is the most popular basketball magazine in America and in many other countries.

Reaction Score
It isn't false. Even Charli D'Amelio "only" makes $4 million a year and she's one of the most popular non-celebrities on the planet. Go look at what the top non-celebrity influencers make. There are plenty of data points out there to see the reality on the ground. Look, I'm not saying you can't make a nice living off of it, but you have to be in the top 0.000001% of creators to do that and those aren't great odds. Most make very little. You sound kind of young, like my little brother who wants to drop out of school because he swears he can be the next Logan Paul. Thankfully my parents are rooted in reality a little more than he is.
Yep, you’re right! I am young, that’s how I know how massive social media is. I can tell you are old and out of date lol!
I brought my stats to back up what I said and if you want to look past them, I can’t do much about that. Charli D’amelio making 4 million and just gaining popularity the past year is INSANE. At 17 years old, her net worth is 8 million dollars....for making videos of herself dancing.

These athletes have the chance to make some real money. Yeah sure maybe not 4 million a year (to start with), but easily 6 figures with a chance at 7. At 18-22 years old that’s pretty damn good and just a base point to grow off of. If you think Nike, Adidas, Puma isn’t going to jump at the chance to sign Paige to deal and offer her a big contract...well you are just not seeing clearly. And again Tik Tok is only one small part of that. I’m not sure if this is jealousy speaking trying to devalue their opportunities or what’s going on.

Just go on any Instagram/Tik Tok influencer’s page...none of them work. They travel, hang out, do whatever rich people do lol. They aren’t elite celebrities, they’re influencers who know how to make a living off marketing themselves. Charlie’s 4 million is what the .0001% make, many with 100k+ make a very livable wage and those with 500-1m+ are making more than a livable wage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without question.

Her Instagram account has 700,000 followers. If she were to get a shoe deal, she could advertise it to 700,000 people.

Where does Stewie get that sort of exposure? Certainly not from games, even WNBA finals don’t have that sort of exposure. PUMA isn’t going to do it, because companies rarely see a value in marketing women’s apparel when that woman doesn’t already have a huge name.

And exposure leads to exposure. Paige is likely going to be more popular now than she ever will be. Leading to more media time, which leads to more social media followers..and companies are lazy by nature, so Paige’s social media + exposure would lead to companies investing in her more.

Taurasi made a mistake years back by not getting into social media, Bird is starting to now - and if you notice, her Brand is the biggest of the three.

it’s actually a wonderful thing for female athletes, as now women don’t need to depend on companies to give them a fair shot - as long as they’ve done the leg work.
Yep. Totally agree. Paige has the chance, as of now, to amass the largest following and presence in women’s basketball. And honestly with her getting brand deals, it’s only going to grow. Bird, DT, Stewie are of course legends, but social media is becoming a real money maker and Paige is getting in on it at the right time.

Reaction Score
Your example makes my point. I and millions of other people have never heard of Charli D’Amelio. She’s not on Sports Center or Slam Magazine and I wouldn’t know her if I bumped into her on the street, and yet she’s making $4 million a year off of her NIL.

There are 7.8 billion people on the planet. Let’s say 1% of those people follow WBB. That’s 78 million people around the world. Before you suggest that number is too high, it’s estimated that 100 million people in China alone follow WBB.

UConn has an incredible fan base in the US as well as overseas. We know that both Anna and Nika followed UConn WBB for years prior to being recruited.

So let’s say that Nike comes up with a signature shoe brand for Paige. Of those 78 million WBB fans around the world, let’s say 1% end up purchasing Paige Bueckers signature shoes at $50 a pair. That’s 780,000 pairs of shoes generating $39 million in revenue for Nike.

So what is it worth to Nike if 1/100th of 1% of the people on planet earth can be favorably influenced to purchase Nike shoes based on a marketing campaign for Paige Bueckers? Just asking.
I don't disagree with any of that, but as I've said, women's basketball just doesn't move the needle and that's the biggest impediment to riches. If it did those that came before Paige would already be getting paid better and at the very least we'd be able to watch all of the games on TV. If you don't value women's basketball, you're not going to highly value the players of the sport you don't value. The social media aspect doesn't hold much water for me. It's capitalizing on your popularity which is always fleeting unless you're in the movies/TV/music biz. You're the popular it girl until the media gets bored and decides you're not and wants to move on to the next new shiny object, and every year there's a new "three to see" that will get rammed down our throats for six months straight.

No, she's still a teenager. She isn't doesn't have better than the names that are bandied about as the greatest of all time ... uh, and Parker (BTW, how does Parker get on that list? "One of these things is different than the others...") But the very fact that those are the names that you chose to compare her with them speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Now, the question you should have asked is will Paige have greater brand value than Stewie, Bird and Taurasi eventually? Who knows, but she certainly does compared to them at the same age doesn't she?

One final observation, FWIW, Instagram followers:

Paige 755,000
Bird 540,000
Stewie 256,000
Taurasi 144,000

Again, IG followers is not the be all and end all, but they are a very interesting snap shot of the space Paige occupies in the public's mind.
Parker made my list only because she arguably has the best all around deal in the sport when you combine salary, overseas, and endorsement money. It's of course hard to pin down because of the multiple revenue sources that are all basically optional from year to year. Hailey Van Lith has nearly as many followers as Paige, and is the other half of a basketball power couple. Do we put her in the same category as Paige then?

Yep, you’re right! I am young, that’s how I know how massive social media is. I can tell you are old and out of date lol!
I brought my stats to back up what I said and if you want to look past them, I can’t do much about that. Charli D’amelio making 4 million and just gaining popularity the past year is INSANE. At 17 years old, her net worth is 8 million dollars....for making videos of herself dancing.

These athletes have the chance to make some real money. Yeah sure maybe not 4 million a year, but easily 6 figures. At 18-22 years old that’s pretty damn good and just a base point to grow off of. If you think Nike, Adidas, Puma isn’t going to jump at the chance to sign Paige to deal and offer her a big contract...well you are just not seeing clearly. And again Tik Tok is only one small part of that. I’m not sure if this is jealousy speaking trying to devalue their opportunities or what’s going on.
I grew up in the social media age too and was a wide-eyed naive teenager not too long ago. My younger brother is basically there now, so yeah, I get it and the realities of the real world. Tends to hit you hard once you're out of the bubble of college, which is why I took a desk job instead of trying to earn my living from social medial platforms.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the social media age too and was a wide-eyed naive teenager not too long ago. My younger brother is basically there now, so yeah, I get it and the realities of the real world. Tends to hit you hard once you're out of the bubble of college, which is why I took a desk job instead of trying to earn my living from social medial platforms
Okay little older than maybe what you think. But yes you likely have nothing to market yourself for, no platform and would have a hard time gaining any sort of following. Are you a generational women’s basketball player? Are you a pretty Tik Tok dancer?
Paige already has a following, she’s not creating one, she has one. What you sound pessimistic about is trying to make it as influencer starting at ground zero (which I agree) but these players already have a following and platform. Just because you and I can’t make money off of it, doesn’t mean others don’t.

W

wolfe613

I don't disagree with any of that, but as I've said, women's basketball just doesn't move the needle and that's the biggest impediment to riches. If it did those that came before Paige would already be getting paid better and at the very least we'd be able to watch all of the games on TV. If you don't value women's basketball, you're not going to highly value the players of the sport you don't value. The social media aspect doesn't hold much water for me. It's capitalizing on your popularity which is always fleeting unless you're in the movies/TV/music biz. You're the popular it girl until the media gets bored and decides you're not and wants to move on to the next new shiny object, and every year there's a new "three to see" that will get rammed down our throats for six months straight.

Parker made my list only because she arguably has the best all around deal in the sport when you combine salary, overseas, and endorsement money. It's of course hard to pin down because of the multiple revenue sources that are all basically optional from year to year. Hailey Van Lith has nearly as many followers as Paige, and is the other half of a basketball power couple. Do we put her in the same category as Paige then?

I grew up in the social media age too and was a wide-eyed naive teenager not too long ago. My younger brother is basically there now, so yeah, I get it and the realities of the real world. Tends to hit you hard once you're out of the bubble of college, which is why I took a desk job instead of trying to earn my living from social medial platforms.
exactly what I wrote in a post here, idk why people don't see that. As I posted there is a name every yr in both men and women that they fall in love with in cbb. For every Zion there's a Jimmer guys who were popular cause they were shooting lights out or dunking. Same thing will happen in wbb especially now that ESPN doesn't have rights to all Uconn games because the Big East belongs to Fox. Why would Espn want to help market someone that doesn't have the rights to their conference when they have the SEC Network that does the best job of any conference in hyping their wbb conference

Reaction Score
How many pro players have done that? BTW, I agree with you it is a fine and noble idea, but then again it is always easy to be fine and noble with others people's money.
I know it is easy to spend other people's money (think the U.S. govt). But if Paige really wants to separate herself from the other Uconn Mt. Rushmore candidates(I assume she does but I might be wrong) this is the best way I know how to do it..

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that, but as I've said, women's basketball just doesn't move the needle and that's the biggest impediment to riches.
This is circular reasoning. 1) Woman's basketball "doesn't move the needle." 2) Paige is WBB player. 3) Therefore Paige doesn't move the needle. But it is clear that WBB does "move the needle" because you have people like Stewie, Diana and Sue who are all multimillionaires from WBB.
Parker made my list only because she arguably has the best all around deal in the sport when you combine salary, overseas, and endorsement money.
Does she? I don't know one way or the other. How could she when her career "doesn't move the needle"?
In any event, as I noted in a prior post does it really make a whole lot of sense to compare the earnings of a 35 year old pro athlete to that of a teenager? I'm not seeing the logic.

Hailey Van Lith has nearly as many followers as Paige, and is the other half of a basketball power couple.
Respectfully suggest that linking a woman's "value" to whom she is dating is, to put it generously, outdated thinking.
Do we put her in the same category as Paige then?
Hailey undoubtedly can monetize her Instagram following. I'm not sure how that matters to this discussion though.
Tends to hit you hard once you're out of the bubble of college, which is why I took a desk job instead of trying to earn my living from social medial platforms.
I'm not sure that there is a point here. We aren't talking about your life choices (and I very strongly suspect that you lacked the same social media presence that Paige has.) Nor is anyone suggesting that athlete's live solely of "social medial platforms," rather we are just talking about the brand value that are indicated by having three quarters of million people electing to "follow" you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

These athletes have the chance to make some real money. Yeah sure maybe not 4 million a year (to start with), but easily 6 figures with a chance at 7. At 18-22 years old that’s pretty damn good and just a base point to grow off of. If you think Nike, Adidas, Puma isn’t going to jump at the chance to sign Paige to deal and offer her a big contract...well you are just not seeing clearly. And again Tik Tok is only one small part of that. I’m not sure if this is jealousy speaking trying to devalue their opportunities or what’s going on.

Just go on any Instagram/Tik Tok influencer’s page...none of them work. They travel, hang out, do whatever rich people do lol. They aren’t elite celebrities, they’re influencers who know how to make a living off marketing themselves. Charlie’s 4 million is what the .0001% make, many with 100k+ make a very livable wage and those with 500-1m+ are making more than a livable wage.
I see a bidding war. Maybe the winning company combines her with BFF Fudd for marketing videos goofing around with each other while wearing their shoes and apparel.

Reaction Score
Respectfully suggest that linking a woman's "value" to whom she is dating is, to put it generously, outdated thinking
Conversely when they are no longer together they will both lose followers. Dumb, but that's how it works.

CL82

Reaction Score
Conversely when they are no longer together they will both lose followers. Dumb, but that's how it works.
That presumes that the follower count is based on their status as a couple. I am not sure that is an accurate presumption.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Charli D’amelio making 4 million and just gaining popularity the past year is INSANE.
Lol, I just googled her an looked at a video that seems like is was positioning her to promote skin care/beauty products. It was absolutely painful to watch, for me, but then again I am not her target market. Not recognizing the incredible marketing value of being able to communicate and promote products to 100,000s of people - who actually seek you out - is incredibly short sighted. It's not my thing (and truth be told I find it to be annoyingly vapid by and large) but that doesn't mean that I can't see the value in it.

CL82

Reaction Score
I know it is easy to spend other people's money (think the U.S. govt). But if Paige really wants to separate herself from the other Uconn Mt. Rushmore candidates(I assume she does but I might be wrong) this is the best way I know how to do it..
Best way [shrugs] but it would be a good thing. FWIW, I've always thought that CT NBA players 'should' give back more to the school. Calhoun disagrees with that. UConn baseball players have a decent history of giving back.

Reaction Score
Yeah but no single company will sponsor that many posts, and the pay rate will obviously depend on the product/company. Could definitely see sports/performance products and athletic wear allocating some money to the NIL crowd, but yeah not gonna be LeBron bucks. Unlike him, Paige will still have to play overseas in her off-seasons once she goes pro.

The way I see it the WNBA schedule is the off-season.

Reaction Score

Like me you haven't bought a pair of signature Nike shoes. Replacement laces cost $50.00. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like me you haven't bought a pair of signature Nike shoes. Replacement laces cost $50.00. :rolleyes:
I guess we’ve come a long way since the days when my PF Flyer basketball shoes retailed for about $12.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I guess we’ve come a long way since the days when my PF Flyer basketball shoes retailed for about $12.
Adjusting for inflation alone, a $12 pair in 1960 would cost $106 today. But that doesn't account for the change in "mindset" that has evolved where the lust for owning "what's cool" is paramount to social stature. The leverage of that factor is really what is driving the incredible costs of "Name" athletic shoes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Adjusting for inflation alone, a $12 pair in 1960 would cost $106 today. But that doesn't account for the change in "mindset" that has evolved where the lust for owning "what's cool" is paramount to social stature. The leverage of that factor is really what is driving the incredible costs of "Name" athletic shoes.
Back in the 60’s my PF Flyers were cool.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Back in the 60’s my PF Flyers were cool.
I was more of a Keds guy.
360c99ec3d19f74e2b4747820d4f20a7.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom