Paige better get her signing hand ready this summer

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s worth repeating that in a recent podcast, State Senator Slap, the main sponsor of NIL legislation in CT, praised Geno’s lobbying efforts on behalf of this legislation, commenting that Geno made it clear to state legislators that he called, “You better do something on this, or we could lose Paige.” No politician wants to be blamed for losing the highest profile athlete in the state.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't think there's going to be that much of a demand for college players in big commercial national campaigns, especially if they have to dissociate from their schools. Most people know the players because of their school. Take Paige out of the UConn uniform and very few would know who she is or recognize her from any other college kid. That said, who knows what kind of shady back room deals will get made at P5 schools to attract/keep the top talent. Probably lots of football players getting paid $500k for a "car dealership commercial" in $EC country.

It’s worth repeating that in a recent podcast, State Senator Slap, the main sponsor of NIL legislation in CT, praised Geno’s lobbying efforts on behalf of this legislation, commenting that Geno made it clear to state legislators that he called, “You better do something on this, or we could lose Paige.” No politician wants to be blamed for losing the highest profile athlete in the state.
Don't understand that quote by Geno. How would we lose Paige? Has Paige made it clear to Geno that her playing for UConn is contingent on being able to make money on NIL? I think the place people need to pressure is the NCAA because if they don't move on this then that's that.

Reaction Score
1623851191807.png

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a real possibility someone of Paiges stature of course would want to be able to make money while in college if they are now allowed to. Geno is making the point that uconn would seriously fall behind on getting or keeping top recruits if they dont join the NIL party. Thankfully CT did wake up, Uconn is the only team in CT that really puts us on the map in the sports world. Can't lose that.

Reaction Score
So, according to Geno, Paige goes to the highest bidder.

I would like to see what he actually said. The way someone else explained it to me is he said they would lose players “like Paige”. I didn’t hear it for myself so I don’t know.

Reaction Score
] I like Paige and I am very happy she is at UConn but good lord people. Can we let her win something first? She hasn’t proven to be our savior yet.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
[ ] I like Paige and I am very happy she is at UConn but good lord people. Can we let her win something first? She hasn’t proven to be our savior yet.
She has given me as many enjoyable moments and performances as any UConn player in a given year. I don't need to be saved.

Reaction Score
She has given me as many enjoyable moments and performances as any UConn player in a given year. I don't need to be saved.
Really? As many as Maya, Sue, DT, KML etc etc etc? Ridiculous. She may have given as much as any UConn freshmen. I’ll give you that much.

Reaction Score
No doubt Paige wont forget her teammates in multiplayer endorsements. I think our slime sisters will host Nickelodian soon,

View attachment 68036
Some serendipity here I think. I spent my lunch hour yesterday reading up on what ever happened to the cast of You Can't Do That on Television, the Canadian kids sketch comedy show that brought the world (and Nickelodeon) green slime.

Reaction Score
What will having a player making a lot of money do to team chemistry. Having one or two players with very expensive clothes and their teammates are wearing k-mart specials might cause some jealousy for sure. Some friendships will be lost, and wcbb won't have the innocence of young people getting an education and living the dream of being able to play a sport while doing so. If the school keeps their money until they leave school, a lot of the athletes will leave as soon as they accumulate any significant amount. There are other possible negative outcomes that haven't even been imagined yet. Professional sports are going down a path of ruination and i just hope that amateur sports don't find themselves down that same rabbit hole.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The CT law is all well and good, but how does it matter if the NCAA still has rules indicating that NIL revenue causes disqualification of eligibility to play?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's gonna be a very sad day when a college athlete signs an endorsement deal with onnadoz 'sports gambling' companies. a very sad day indeed.

Reaction Score
It’s a coaches nightmare. Now, part of their recruiting effort will be to tout the NIL opportunities at their school. Then they need to control the distractions that come with those opportunities once they join the team. And, find a way to keep those players with little or no opportunities to hide their jealously and stay motivated. May the portal be with them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s a coaches nightmare. Now, part of their recruiting effort will be to tout the NIL opportunities at their school. Then they need to control the distractions that come with those opportunities once they join the team. And, find a way to keep those players with little or no opportunities to hide their jealously and stay motivated. May the portal be with them.
It is worse than that. On the fast break players will need to consider what makes her more marketable, a pass to an open teammate or a contested drive to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom