Paige as NPOY | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Paige as NPOY

Reaction Score
First in looking up that stats, Aliyah is 23% from 3pt and she is 50% from 2 which is a very disappointing number for some one of her skill and size. I am a fan of hers but I do not think she is in the conversation anymore. The 2 really bad point blank shot misses in the UConn SC game at end of regulation probably put the final nail in the coffin. I think it is a 2 person race with Evans and Paige although Caitlin might wow a few voters if she puts together more 30+ games. Paige is trying so hard to distribute and be a good "citizen" to get CW and Liv more involved that I do not see any more 30 pt games for Paige in the remaining future Big East schedule
If Paige was more selfish and took 10 more shots per game IMO she would be a lock to win and Evans wouldn’t even be a close second .

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think there has ever been a better player then Paige in WCBB. It aint even close. She does everything on both sides of the ball and she can direct players on where to go. She can get her shot off in traffic, under pressure and on the run and there is nobody in WCBB that can do that and do it as consistently as Paige. Its almost unheard of. She does the unexpected in the most critical times and doesnt miss a beat. She makes everyone around her better while still getting her points and steals and is a coach on the floor directing traffic. Ive never seen a women play and do what she does. She is at a level that no other women in WCBB is and shes only a freshman. Barring injuries and foul trouble she will lead UConn to the NC this season. The word impossible does not enter Paiges mind. You hear fans talk about players with potential, well Paige is that potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree its a two horse race between Evans and Bueckers. At the start of the season I assumed Rhyne Howard was a foregone conclusion, but she hasn't been at the level many expected.

When looking at Bueckers and Evans head to head statistically, Bueckers has the edge in PPG, FG%, 3FG%, RPG, APG, A/TO, SPG, and BPG. Evans only advantage is free throw shooting. I know statistics don't tell the whole story, but many voters go by stats, and its clear the stats favor Bueckers, and by a wide margin. Her shooting efficiency blows Evans out of the water and the 1.5 extra APG with fewer turnovers is a big way to differentiate them as pgs.

Evan's biggest asset is her "clutch" gene, but you could argue that Paige has proven the same. She was huge down the stretch against Arkansas, Tennessee, and South Carolina, our biggest games.

On the BY, we always worry about how level of competition in our conference will factor into things. Well SOS per Massey has Uconn at 63 and Louisville at 61.

I just can't come up with any reason Evans should win over Bueckers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree its a two horse race between Evans and Bueckers. At the start of the season I assumed Rhyne Howard was a foregone conclusion, but she hasn't been at the level many expected.

When looking at Bueckers and Evans head to head statistically, Bueckers has the edge in PPG, FG%, 3FG%, RPG, APG, A/TO, SPG, and BPG. Evans only advantage is free throw shooting. I know statistics don't tell the whole story, but many voters go by stats, and its clear the stats favor Bueckers, and by a wide margin. Her shooting efficiency blows Evans out of the water and the 1.5 extra APG with fewer turnovers is a big way to differentiate them as pgs.

Evan's biggest asset is her "clutch" gene, but you could argue that Paige has proven the same. She was huge down the stretch against Arkansas, Tennessee, and South Carolina, our biggest games.

On the BY, we always worry about how level of competition in our conference will factor into things. Well SOS per Massey has Uconn at 63 and Louisville at 61.

The Senior Card

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m in total agreement with jastep,
Bueckers over Evans by a hair!
Bueckers shots last night were so smooth going in! Wowser......!
It’s gotten to the point that not only am I shocked when Paige misses a shot, but I am also surprised when any of her shots barely graze the rim as they go in. I’ve gotten used to that Steph Curry, nothing but net splash from Paige.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know this happens, but it frustrates me. NPOY should be to the best player...period. Giving it to a senior just because she's a senior feels more like a participation trophy.
While there has never been a freshman to win the Naismith Award, there have been 3 sophomores, including Cheryl Miller and our own Maya & Stewie. Maya was 2nd as a frosh to Parker. Sooner or later there’s going to be a freshman who wins the Naismith. Paige is making one hell of a case that the time is now.

Reaction Score

PB being a freshman may hurt her; voters may opt to vote for an upperclassman thinking Paige will have 3 more opportunities to get hers.

Reaction Score
I think when the various votes are taken could play an important role.

Reaction Score
PB being a freshman may hurt her; voters may opt to vote for an upperclassman thinking Paige will have 3 more opportunities to get hers.

On the Naismith Men's award side, three Frosh have won the award: Kevin Durant (2007), Anthony Davis (2012), and Zion Williamson (2019).

Paige is deserving. Voters didn't hold it against these players that were freshmen. I would hope that the same holds true for the Women's Award voters!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think when the various votes are taken could play an important role.
All the votes are cast at the conclusion of the regular season. The announcements are made around the time of the final 4.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All the votes are cast at the conclusion of the regular season. The announcements are made around the time of the final 4.

And that could be an issue with so few games played this year. Paige didn't get the chance to make a statement against other top-10 teams due to cancellations. She's the best player but the shortened season might be the difference.

Reaction Score
So that means the conference tourneys will have no effect. I actually think that helps Paige because the ACC tourney will be much more competitive than the Big East and Evans may have a bigger role there in her team winning, if they do.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So that means the conference tourneys will have no effect. I actually think that helps Paige because the ACC tourney will be much more competitive than the Big East and Evans may have a bigger role there in her team winning, if they do.

More games for Paige to show her greatness = better for Paige.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is correct conference tournament and NCAA tournament do not factor in to POY awards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And that could be an issue with so few games played this year. Paige didn't get the chance to make a statement against other top-10 teams due to cancellations. She's the best player but the shortened season might be the difference.
We knew going into SC game that was Paige's last chance on a national stage. Paige has done her part not just then but since then. I'm guessing she wins at least one of the 3 POY awards (Honda, Naismith, or AP) for which Freshman are eligible.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We knew going into SC game that was Paige's last chance on a national stage. Paige has done her part not just then but since then. I guessing she wins at least one of the 3 POY awards (Honda, Naismith, or AP) for which Freshman are eligible.

I think she has a chance but needs a strong finish and probably some off games from others. Walz will run over his own mother to get votes for Evans. Howard was the preseason favorite and has been really good if a bit inconsistent. Hillmon has been incredible but if they didn't give POY awards to Napheesa Collier, who was a much better player, then they definitely shouldn't for Hillmon. Clark's been great and should merit serious discussion but circumstances allow her to pile up stats that Paige can't. And Natasha Mack has been incredible for OSU and should be in the running.

Can Paige overcome all those players with so few games played and one marquee performance? I think she needs more considering the reflexive nature against freshmen.

Reaction Score
I am not a UConn fan. I would not have an issue with Bueckers as NPOY.

You could make the argument that the annual POY awards don’t always go to the best player, but to the player with the best stats. That’s true. I would say that Paige is, without much question, the best overall player in the country. That encompasses intangibles like decision-making, “clutch” genes, etc.

Here’s the thing: she really deserves it off of stats, too. 21 PPG on 58% shooting. Just crown her; I’ve seen enough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The real sealer for Gustafson was, in my opinion, that she led the nation in both scoring and FG%. Those are not two stats you typically see owned by the same player.
Gustafson was also 3rd in rebounding in the country that year.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think she has a chance but needs a strong finish and probably some off games from others. Walz will run over his own mother to get votes for Evans. Howard was the preseason favorite and has been really good if a bit inconsistent. Hillmon has been incredible but if they didn't give POY awards to Napheesa Collier, who was a much better player, then they definitely shouldn't for Hillmon. Clark's been great and should merit serious discussion but circumstances allow her to pile up stats that Paige can't. And Natasha Mack has been incredible for OSU and should be in the running.

Can Paige overcome all those players with so few games played and one marquee performance? I think she needs more considering the reflexive nature against freshmen.
One thing we are not mentioning, No one in the WCBB game is getting the national coverage that Paige receives, she has become the media darling, which is greatly deserved. Almost every day she is one of the top stories on the ESPN WCBB page, the same goes for every media outlet, FS1, CBS sports. Every game she is gushed over. The game announcers are a singing her praise. With all this it remains to be seen, will the voters of the major awards buck the obvious or do the right thing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That's like baseball Hall of Fame voters who wouldn't vote for someone in his first year of eligibility. Till Mariano Rivera.

Paige may become NCAAW's Rivera. Dana Evans is not Candace Parker (see OD's post above). Paige has had clutch shots against Tennessee and SC on national TV, as well as a really good game against SC. Still not as much game exposure as Evans (especially for the last four years), but still a step in the right direction.

Nobody can touch Paige's statistics, but I think everybody on the BY would agree with me that those incredible stats don't even indicate how good she's been or how much she means to her team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom