Paige as NPOY | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Paige as NPOY

Reaction Score
For me, the best indicator on how much attention Paige is getting across WCBB was a comment made by Kelly Graves (Oregon) about his Freshmen hitting a "Freshmen Wall". He said, "All Freshmen, not named Paige Bueckers, hit a wall"!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When voting for the NPOY dont make excuses why Paige shouldnt receive it...shes already given you the reasons why she should be NPOY and shes earned it.
The only things you can say against her are the things she can’t control. She can‘t help that she’s a freshman and she can’t help that Miss State, Louisville and Baylor games were canceled so she only has five games against ranked teams instead of eight. What she can control, she’s done. Especially this graphic.

Her one miss in that 9-10? A running jumper with 4:57 left against Arkansas.

Attachments

• 5ADA2A72-5D57-4A8D-8270-B434696BA2F0.jpeg
    5ADA2A72-5D57-4A8D-8270-B434696BA2F0.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 118
Reaction Score
Michigan took a 70-65 loss at Indiana. Hillmon did her usual 23 and 12 (7-14 shooting) but maybe lost her best chance at a statement performance in a big win (she has a statement with 50 in a loss which may be good enough statement wise). She had a key turnover late, but without watching I can’t say for sure if it was a bad turnover or just unlucky.

The one curiosity with her stat line that has basically been true all year: no assists, steals or blocks. Michigan‘s team D is good, so she’s certainly doing something well, but nine steals and nine blocks total in 15 games is pretty low (just in terms of NPOY candidacy where we are splitting hairs).

Reaction Score
There were two national articles just on Paige today. The New York Times and an AP Wire story. The NY Times article is being discussed in another thread. Below are links to the articles. The NY Times Article is via an alternative link so you don't have to go through their paywall.

What other current WCBB player is having solo articles written about them in the national press? Much less two in the same day!

If she continues playing the way she is currently, I would be very surprised if she doesn't get at least one National Player of the Year award!

Reaction Score
I didn’t consider Boston a strong candidate for NPOY at 13 ppg, but I suppose if SC went undefeated through the SEC with a statement against A&M, she’d have gotten some support even without big scoring numbers and a loss to us. That ship sailed with their loss at Tennessee. They can still make the A&M statement.

It really might be a Bueckers-Evans battle at this point. Subject to change as the week goes on and I get swayed by recency bias.

Reaction Score
Bill Russell of the Celtics won 11 championshps in 13 seasons.
Bill Russell once asked, "how many championships did Red Auerbach win without Bill Russell?" The answer of course is ZERO.... so Bill had two without Red with himself coaching himself. Bill's record would be tops and unbreakable. Next would be Yogi Berra's 10 Cahampionships with the Yankees in 18 years with them {best catcher ever IMHO}, and Maurice "Le Rocket" Richard with 8 championships in 18 years with Montreal Canadiens.

Reaction Score
I think she has a chance but needs a strong finish and probably some off games from others.

Can Paige overcome all those players with so few games played and one marquee performance? I think she needs more considering the reflexive nature against freshmen.
If the season were to end right now-- Paige should win it. If she doesn't - it doesn't mean that she isn't the best however. It just means that those who voted were wrong.

Her game is historic. What player in the last 25 years as the number 1 option for an elite top 5 team has produced the level of efficiency she has?

In addition to- the one game vs the top 5 team on National TV wasn't just a great game. It was an all-time great performance. All-time great - freakish one-of-kind type of performance.

As for marquee performances even in the game she shot horribly her last shot that she drilled a 3 while coming off the bench with an injury was a marquee type performance because of the injury and the shot and situation of the game being on the line in the closing 10 seconds or so. Her game was more than just shooting.

Even the game UCONN lost = She had 27 points on 10-15 shooting going 3-3 from the 3pt line. If that isn't a marquee performance - I don't know what is. Her True Shooting % from that game was 80.55%. That's what a very good free throw shooters shoot when they are wide open at the ft line. She shot it from the floor while being defended.

Her Effective fg% was 76.67%. in that game This is all freakish marquee type of stuff. Add that's along with UCONN is the number 1 team in the country. I'm going to repeat it for some fans -- :) UCONN IS the number 1 team in the country. :)This particular number 1 team should not have another All-American. - So Paige doesn't have another player you can point to and say-- "She's made Paige's game so much easier. . . "

As Tony said-- anyone not having her as the number 1 player is just looking for an excuse not to have her number 1. As a result they aren't being fair. She's basically hit two deciding factor game-type-of winning 3's vs some darn good teams in which the game was in the balance along with this freakish efficiency. :)What Paige is doing at this moment - is historic. :)

Reaction Score
Ended up 5/21 with a couple layups down the stretch, but I agree that Evans looked like anything but the NPOY.
Those were useless layups too - both down by 9 with around 30 seconds left when twos don’t help. Bad loss, bad performance from Evans - no great wins (a double digit loss in their one marquee game with NC State). Realistically, as much as one day shouldn’t put you out of the running, she should be out of the running. But the senior factor is still there.

Michigan got their biggest win and Hillmon did her thing again. 27 on 11-16 shooting, all from 3 feet and in, and with 0 assists, steals or blocks. But she‘s a factor in the race. Howard and Boston both having quiet days head to head but still a second half to go (I think both of them are out, but a huge game could get them back in).

It‘s really interesting at this point. I think you almost have to twist yourself in knots to come up with reasons not to vote for Paige.

Reaction Score
On the Naismith Men's award side, three Frosh have won the award: Kevin Durant (2007), Anthony Davis (2012), and Zion Williamson (2019).

Paige is deserving. Voters didn't hold it against these players that were freshmen. I would hope that the same holds true for the Women's Award voters!
The Men's award was heavy to One and Done..huge difference to WBB..

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Howard and Boston both having quiet days head to head but still a second half to go (I think both of them are out, but a huge game could get them back in).

Howard not exactly matching Paige's performance against South Carolina. Hillmon is really, really good at what she's good at, no doubt, but I don't think she's NPOY level. Natasha Mack has been incredible for OSU but not sure anyone has noticed. I'm not certain Cunnane is even NC State's best player. Evans has been good but not Paige good. Charli Collier has 21 and 14 today. I haven't seen her play much at all but she's a scoring and rebounding monster. Almost no assists and I don't know what her defense looks like.

That would seem to leave Paige and Clark, and the anti-UConn contingent will have conniptions if that turns out a certain way.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ended up 5/21 with a couple layups down the stretch, but I agree that Evans looked like anything but the NPOY.
So Evans a Senior, plays 8 more minutes and shoots 10 more shots than Paige and only outscores her by 2. Paige went 4 for 11 on a bum ankle and had better assists to turnover numbers 3.5 to 1 vs 2.5 to 1.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Howard ends up 2-11 for 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks against Carolina.

Boston was 1-4 (again, does Dawn not teach post passing?), 4 points, 11 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Howard ends up 2-11 for 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks against Carolina.

Boston was 1-4 (again, does Dawn not teach post passing?), 4 points, 11 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks.
Has anyone, besides Paige, scored more than 20 points against SC this season?

Reaction Score
Howard not exactly matching Paige's performance against South Carolina. Hillmon is really, really good at what she's good at, no doubt. But I don't think she's NPOY level. Natasha Mack has been incredible for OSU but not sure anyone has noticed. I'm not certain Cunnane is even NC State's best player. Evans has been good but not Paige good. Charli Collier has 12 and 15 today. I haven't seen her play much at all but she's a scoring and rebounding monster. Almost no assists and I don't know what her defense looks like.

That would seem to leave Paige and Clark, and the anti-UConn contingent will have conniptions if that turns out a certain way.
I don’t think Clark has much of a chance at 7th place in the Big 10 - her personal numbers are outstanding of course, but so far they don’t translate to a national impact that would warrant NPOY discussion. They do have games with Maryland and Michigan left, so she could potentially advance her candidacy with a couple big nights and/or wins that get Iowa up to, say, fourth or fifth in the Big 10 and into the top 25. Don’t want to count her out yet until those games happen.

Collier is considered the probable No. 1 pick in the draft as a skilled 6-5 forward, and is similar to Clark in that she has huge numbers, but her team is unranked and lacking big wins. And when they went against Baylor recently in a marquee game she had 2 points and 5 rebounds. She’s had a couple other 5-20 and 2-12 type really disappointing games in losses. Don’t think she’s a factor - Mack and NaLyssa Smith are probably in front of her for Big 12 POY (maybe Joens and the guard at WV too).

Mack is actually the one person ahead of Paige in win shares (last I saw - maybe Paige has slipped another couple spots after the X game), but Ok State hasn’t really sniffed the polls since they lost to Tulsa and started slow in conference. She maybe has a chance with one game left at Baylor to enter the discussion with a huge game in a win over them that make people notice her credentials, but she’s definitely fighting from behind.

Of course, I could be wrong about absolutely everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom