PAC 12 WBB News | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Any updates on Haley?
Good question. None I've seen so far, though everyone who watched the game thought she appeared totally fine. Whether she suits up will, I suspect, largely determine whether we go something like 2-1 or 0-3 over the next week...

Reaction Score
Colorado handles Texas Southern easily 79-47 with Mya picking up a double double with 20 points and 10 rebounds, adding steals and blocks on defense. Her ability to score from any place on the floor (two threes tonight, a mid range jumper, and several drives for layups) will make her a high draft pick. Freshman Kindyll Wetta, whose mom played at Colorado under Hall of Fame coach Ceal Barry, came out of Valor Christian, a jock factory 30 miles from Boulder, as the No. 16 point guard in recruiting class. She was seriously under rated. Coming off the bench she had nine assists against Samford yesterday and 12 points tonight. Plus she just moves well on the court.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But was the defense soul crushing. The story feels incomplete if I don't have confirmation that Texas Southern's souls were crushed ;)

Reaction Score
But was the defense soul crushing. The story feels incomplete if I don't have confirmation that Texas Southern's souls were crushed ;)
Good defense, just not soul crushing, allowed too many threes. I was more impressed with soul lifting (sorry) offense with the starters scoring 40 and bench 39. JR subbed frequently from start to finish. Wetta was 6 for 6, adding three steals but only two assists tonight. CU improved a bit on free throw line, hitting 10 of 15.

Reaction Score
Of course I suppose holding a team to 29.1% shooting percentage is at least soul bruising.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Of course I suppose holding a team to 29.1% shooting percentage is at least soul bruising.
I don't know the percentage but Arizona held them to 38 and knocked them off by 55. With every player on the team playing. Texas Southern is not good. I don't think Coach Cooper-Dyke has had much success in her coaching career, unlike her HOF playing career.

Reaction Score
I don't know the percentage but Arizona held them to 38 and knocked them off by 55. With every player on the team playing. Texas Southern is not good. I don't think Coach Cooper-Dyke has had much success in her coaching career, unlike her HOF playing career.
No, this isn’t a great team. If it weren’t for a couple of late threes, it would have been much worse. I gather most of the team are transfers. While CU shot 52.5%, they missed a lot of bunnies. Cooper-Dyke does have a career winning record as a coach but she’s winless this year. CU has held all five of their opponents to 29-31% shooting, including two NCAA 2021 tourney teams. I suspect that will change once Pac-12 play starts.

Reaction Score
It was 23.4% while Arizona was a percentage point better shooting than CU was against TSU. CU’s biggest weakness is their free throw shooting. They outplayed Arizona last year in one game but lost narrowly when they hit only 11 of 22 free throws.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well, other than missing nearly every free throw and 3 pointer and tossing the ball away about a dozen times, we did alright. Definitely the Cameron Brink coming out party - just wish folks with terrestrial television had been allowed to see it!

Reaction Score
Well, other than missing nearly every free throw and 3 pointer and tossing the ball away about a dozen times, we did alright. Definitely the Cameron Brink coming out party - just wish folks with terrestrial television had been allowed to see it!
Brink missed 5 of 6 free throw attempts and turned the ball over 5 times but mads up for it by scoring 21, collecting 22 rebounds, blocking 5 shots and dishing 5 assists. Monster game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cameron Brink currently with 20 pts 20 rebounds against the #4 team in the country !
I didn't get to watch, but Mackenzie Holmes had been playing very well for Indiana this year and looks like she was kept in check, maybe credit goes to Brink for that as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford FT shooting has been atrocious this year, and it's not just Brink. They've barely gotten away with it the last 2 games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch, but Mackenzie Holmes had been playing very well for Indiana this year and looks like she was kept in check, maybe credit goes to Brink for that as well.
Holmes had one great game against Kentucky. Pretty forgettable against Quinnipiac, was in foul trouble and finished with 10 points. Gulbe and Holmes were both terrible in this game, Berger also struggled the entire second half. I don't even know how Indiana stayed close.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Holmes had one great game against Kentucky. Pretty forgettable against Quinnipiac, was in foul trouble and finished with 10 points. Gulbe and Holmes were both terrible in this game, Berger also struggled the entire second half. I don't even know how Indiana stayed close.
Stats don't tell everything, but looks like Patberg and Cardano-Hillary were good? For Stanford looks like it was pretty much the Brink and Belibi show and not much else.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stats don't tell everything, but looks like Patberg and Cardano-Hillary were good? For Stanford looks like it was pretty much the Brink and Belibi show and not much else.
Yes Indiana's guards (Patberg and Cardaño) pretty much carried them in this game, but both seemed to go cold in the second half as well. Cardaño's defense is very good, she is a total pest and got numerous steals and deflections, made it hard for Stanford to get the ball up the court. But once Stanford got into its offense it was either layups or putbacks.

Indiana's bigs just were completely ineffective on both ends. Berger is kinda puzzling to me, she missed several makable shots and then blew 2 FTs to tie the game in crunch time.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I did watch the game, and Brink missed a ton of shots in the first half, but was much more efficient in the second. For Belibi it was the opposite (to my eyes, anyway). At the other end, Brink was clearly a game changer every time Indiana tried to score in the paint. Just a monster defensively and on the boards.

Indiana doesn't have anything like Stanford's size, got killed on the boards, lacks the kind of guards that can give the Stanford backcourt trouble, and didn't get a good game from Berger. And yet. . . . they could very well have won this game if they had just made some open shots (mid-range+) down the stretch.

(Just as a completely irrelevant aside, Indiana looked exactly like the team I saw in Eugene--for the NCAA tournament--two years ago. Call it the Ali Patberg effect.)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but wouldn't be surprised if Brink is the reason she struggled. Cameron's an absolute beast defensively.

Reaction Score
Brink just swallowed up Holmes whenever she got a post touch. Really impressive with how she played the angles. Holmes has a lot of moves in her bag but couldn’t do anything vs. that wingspan.

Is Haley Jones dealing with an injury?

Reaction Score
The most surprising thing I saw in the box score was Stanford played 12 players in a 3!point win over a top 5 school. That is a commitment to building depth!

Reaction Score
Brink just swallowed up Holmes whenever she got a post touch. Really impressive with how she played the angles. Holmes has a lot of moves in her bag but couldn’t do anything vs. that wingspan.

Is Haley Jones dealing with an injury?
Yeah, though not disclosed what it is. She didn’t play their last game and did not start today. She did play today though off the bench, but did not really seem like herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom