PAC 12 WBB News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiki Rice, the No. 2 prospect in the ESPN class of 2022, has committed to UCLA, she told ESPN Thursday.
A little surprised. I was expecting Duke for some reason… maybe just wishful thinking that she NOT go to a Pac-12 rival. Best of luck to the young lady… guess we will be seeing her on the West Coast for a few years.

Reaction Score
I'm only posting this 8 second video of the UCLA wbb team because it shows new arrivals Dugalic and Anstey--both 6'4". Haven't heard much about either of them, maybe our Bruin posters can fill us in on how they have looked so far in practice. I was surprised Cory didn't even mention Dugalic during PAC 12 Media Day.

UCLA's roster lists 15 players including Bessoir (out for the season). This photo shows 15 players without Bessoir. Who is the additional player? And why do they list Anstey as a sophomore?

Haven't seen them in practice (they don't practice in an accessible location), but will be attending games next week. TBH, there are so many transfers and possible hair color/style changes that I am having difficulty picking out who is who, but I thought Bessoir was in that video.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen them in practice (they don't practice in an accessible location), but will be attending games next week. TBH, there are so many transfers and possible hair color/style changes that I am having difficulty picking out who is who, but I thought Bessoir was in that video

I still think she is MIA from the UCLA video I posted on page 2. Take a look at the below photos of Emily and then the video. Remember she is 6'4", the same height as Dugalic and Anstey. And I don't see anyone wearing her #11 in the video.
I'm curious who the mystery 15th player is but I am too lazy to compare all the jersey numbers in the video to the jersey numbers on the 21-22 team roster.
Looking forward to your observations/impressions from the games next week.

Emily Bessoir - Women's Basketball - UCLA

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was just thinking this. Both were solid stars at their (albeit weaker) former programs. I agree this lineup doesn’t appear to play to the team’s strengths. Ware in particular does not impress me.

Then again, Adia got a team that really had no business, at least on paper, making the Final Four to one basket shy of a national title, so I guess I’ve gotta trust her, right?
Ware was on the Team USA under 19 team medalists, so I find it hard to cite her as the player that doesn't impress me. That said, I have sometimes been underwhelmed by Reese, who is as always on the list as a possible All PAC12 player. My issue has always been the same, she doesn't always seem to "go up strong" with the ball, getting off weak wimpy shots that touch the rim and don't go in. She otherwise is a great contributor.

Reaction Score
I still think she is MIA from the UCLA video I posted on page 2. Take a look at the below photos of Emily and then the video. Remember she is 6'4", the same height as Dugalic and Anstey. And I don't see anyone wearing her #11 in the video.
I'm curious who the mystery 15th player is but I am too lazy to compare all the jersey numbers in the video to the jersey numbers on the 21-22 team roster.
Looking forward to your observations/impressions from the games next week.

Emily Bessoir - Women's Basketball - UCLA

Emily Bessoir does appear in the video you posted. Standing far right in gray t-shirt. The team made the video before she tore her ACL.

BTW Anstey gets listed as a sophomore because she started classes in Sep 2020 and completed coursework all three quarters via Zoom. So academically she completed her freshman coursework. UCLA conducted no in-person classes in academic year 2020/21. That's what prevented her from entry into the country last year.

Had UCLA offered an in-person class that Izzy could take then she would have been allowed into the U.S.. Fellow Aussie and Stanford Freshman Agnes Emma-Nnopu was allowed into the US because Stanford offered some in-person classes. Ironically Santa Clara County did not allow any games at Stanford for most of the season. I think (but am not absolutely positive) Santa Clara didn't even allow the team to practice on campus, thus the well-documented several week journey the Stanford WBB spent on the road. The experience really helped the Cardinal team to bond and helped prepare them for ncaa tourney play in a bubble.

I wonder if Emma-Nnopu actually had in-person classes during Stanford's fall and winter quarter? If so I don't know how she managed to attend if she spent all the time away from Campus.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That said, I have sometimes been underwhelmed by Reese, who is as always on the list as a possible All PAC12 player. My issue has always been the same, she doesn't always seem to "go up strong" with the ball, getting off weak wimpy shots that touch the rim and don't go in. She otherwise is a great contributor.
I think gravity effects her differently than everyone else. How else can you explain how often she falls down?

Reaction Score
Emily Bessoir does appear in the video you posted. Standing far right in gray t-shirt. The team made the video before she tore her ACL.

BTW Anstey gets listed as a sophomore because she started classes in Sep 2020 and completed coursework all three quarters via Zoom. So academically she completed her freshman coursework. UCLA conducted no in-person classes in academic year 2020/21. That's what prevented her from entry into the country last year.

Had UCLA offered an in-person class that Izzy could take then she would have been allowed into the U.S.. Fellow Aussie and Stanford Freshman Agnes Emma-Nnopu was allowed into the US because Stanford offered some in-person classes. Ironically Santa Clara County did not allow any games at Stanford for most of the season. I think (but am not absolutely positive) Santa Clara didn't even allow the team to practice on campus, thus the well-documented several week journey the Stanford WBB spent on the road. The experience really helped the Cardinal team to bond and helped prepare them for ncaa tourney play in a bubble.

I wonder if Emma-Nnopu actually had in-person classes during Stanford's fall and winter quarter? If so I don't know how she managed to attend if she spent all the time away from Campus.
Doh! my bad--thank you for the correction.
I should have checked the jersey numbers--Anstey is #43. I mistakenly assumed the video was very recent, i.e. made after Bessoir tore her ACL. In the video Anstey, who is listed on the roster as being 6'4", appears to be at least a couple of inches shorter than Bessoir, also listed at 6'4". This reminds me of a very funny post @Biff made a couple of months ago about Dorka Juhasz's height ("How internet rumors are started").
And thanks for explaining why Anstey is listed on the roster as a sophomore--does she still have four years of eligibility? Or only three?

Reaction Score
Doh! my bad--thank you for the correction.
I should have checked the jersey numbers--Anstey is #43. I mistakenly assumed the video was very recent, i.e. made after Bessoir tore her ACL. In the video Anstey, who is listed on the roster as being 6'4", appears to be at least a couple of inches shorter than Bessoir, also listed at 6'4". This reminds me of a very funny post @Biff made a couple of months ago about Dorka Juhasz's height ("How internet rumors are started").
And thanks for explaining why Anstey is listed on the roster as a sophomore--does she still have four years of eligibility? Or only three?
Prospect Anstey had been listed as 6’3” but “grew” an inch once she became a commit. Similarly Brynn Masikewich started out as 6’2” but now gets listed at 6’3”. Height inflation happens all the time at many schools. Bessoir and Angela Dugalic are legit 6’4”.

As far as I know Anstey has four years of eligibility as do all freshmen from the 2020/21 season.

Reaction Score
Oregon vs. Westmont game starts at noon
It will be streamed on the PAC 12 website and the PAC 12 app

It will be interesting to see what the transfer players (other than Endyia Rogers)
can show--which one(s), if any, will make it into the regular rotation?? :
#0 G Ahlise Hurst
#5 F Shannon Dufficy
#10 F Chanaya Pinto
#11 F Taylor Hosendove

And of course the two freshmen:
#3 G Tayor Bigby
#15 C Phillipina Kyei

Edit: Hurst!, Parrish, Prince, Sabally, Scheer starting
Pinto, Kyei in early

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon over NAIA National Champions Westmont 46-25 at half. Neither Paopao nor Rogers are suited up so a lot of time at guard for Scherr and Hurst. First action for Taylor Bigby.

Reaction Score
Oregon State only up on Western Washington by seven at the half!, Yikes! 36-29. Looking forward to Lotraders report from that game.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Paopao, Rogers, and Watson (Hosendove?) sitting out and Prince and Sabally only playing for 20 and 15 minutes respectively, we were able to get a good look at the transfers and freshmen. In fact, Kelly played an all freshman/transfer lineup for about 8? minutes of the game. They all performed reasonably well, nothing really stood out to me (@Floridaduck, @Figurehead et. al. are much more qualified to judge than me). Kyei (19 minutes) was a pleasant surprise --she led the team in scoring and had five rebounds--although lets remember that Westmont had no one over 6'. Even though they were outmatched size-wise, I was impressed with the Westmont team--well coached, scrappy--they played the last 16 minutes dead even with Oregon. Next up: Idaho State on Tuesday at 7:30pm (will be streamed on the PAC12 website and app.)

Box Score:

Reaction Score
Just a shame. With Rogers and Paopao I felt Oregon was going into the season with a very strong guard rotation. A big upgrade. Sigh. Looks like Parrish and transfer Hurst will step in as starters along with Scherr, Sabally and Prince. 6’1” Freshman guard Taylor Bigby hasn’t practiced much yet (injury) but will have to be a quick study to get up to speed. Get well soon, kids.

Reaction Score
Can I ask you about Oregon State? Do they have any missing pieces and what do you see as their biggest concern. I still think Rueck needs more team quickness but that is based on my limited knowledge of who they have now.
Quick report from Gill Coliseum on OSU WBB exhibition game:

OSU Positives:

• 6' 9" Jelena Mitrovic is in much better shape and much more mobile. Great rim protector and she hit a 3.
  • AJ Marotte: Strong, athletic, and at 6" 1" is a going to be an immediate contributor as a freshman
  • Emily Codding: Played like a senior, looked very comfortable in her 1st OSU game

OSU Negatives

• OSU players missed a whole bunch of shots from less than 2 feet: Taylor Jones, freshman guards
  • Freshman played like Freshman
  • opposing teams with quick guards could be problematic for OSU
  • gave up too many open 3's

Other observations

• With an opposing team's 5 that can shoot from outside, OSU will likely zone on defense
  • Our freshman guards will get better--you can see their potential
  • Quick guards on the opposing team could give OSU guards a bit of trouble on offense and defense
  • Rueck was substituting freely trying to get a lot of the newbies evaluation time
  • Taylor Jones didn't play much (not sure why)
  • Friday's home opener will provide a bit more of what Rueck thinks about each player

Reaction Score
I am a Cal Bear fan. Hey, I like the underdogs. Just wild how they went from a 20 win season two years ago to a 1 win team last year. But when you can't put points on the board or stop anyone, you gonna get that type of a record. I believe Cal Bears gave up the second most points in the Pac 12 and scored the fewest amount of points. Three point shooting was horrible. Just a overall bad year and easy to see why they were picked to finish last for this year in the Pac 12. The Westmont preseason warm-up game was scary. They looked and played better against Saint Martin's

The thing about last season, the team lost a few of their best players to injuries. Their best shooter & scoring options (Jazlen Green & Cailyn Crocker) were out. Having them back this year plus the returning players from last year, this squad is going to surprise some teams. Knowing how to play together and play off of each other is going to be a big advantage for a team that could never settle in during last year’s chaotic season.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I am a Cal Bear fan. Hey, I like the underdogs. Just wild how they went from a 20 win season two years ago to a 1 win team last year.
I haven't seen her name pop up anywhere in player to watch lists or anything else, but I liked what I saw from Mia Mastrov last season. Made a big splash in her debut. After that she struggled some with shooting, but the team just appeared to be better once she joined in February. Other than getting blown out by Stanford, they weren't a pushover down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Tired of this whole streaming thing?

Select televised PAC12 and other conference games this week--set your DVR:
Does not include ACCN games--see below tv/stream schedule below. (Can anyone recommend the cheapest/easiest ACCN viewing option for people on the west coast with Comcast?)
All times Pacific.

Tues. Nov. 9 South Carolina at NC State 2pm ESPN
Wed. Nov. 10 Pepperdine at UCLA 7pm PAC12 Network
Wed. Nov. 10 Southern Illinois at Tennessee 4pm SEC Network
Fri. Nov. 12 Louisville at Arizona (in South Dakota) 1:30pm ESPNU
Fri. Nov. 12 South Carolina at South Dakota 4pm ESPNNews
Sun. Nov. 14 Arkansas at UConn 10am SNY (FoxSportsLive stream)
Sun. Nov. 14 Texas at Stanford 12pm ESPN
Sun. Nov. 14 Kentucky at Indiana 2pm ESPN

Select PAC12 games this week streamed on PAC12 network website/app:
All times Pacific.

Tues. Nov. 9 4pm CSUN at Arizona
Tues. Nov. 9 7:30pm Idaho State at Oregon
Thurs. Nov. 11 3pm Morgan State at Stanford
Sun. Nov. 14 5pm Dixie State at Oregon

Reaction Score
I am a Cal Bear fan. Hey, I like the underdogs. Just wild how they went from a 20 win season two years ago to a 1 win team last year. But when you can't put points on the board or stop anyone, you gonna get that type of a record. I believe Cal Bears gave up the second most points in the Pac 12 and scored the fewest amount of points. Three point shooting was horrible. Just a overall bad year and easy to see why they were picked to finish last for this year in the Pac 12. The Westmont preseason warm-up game was scary. They looked and played better against Saint Martin's

The thing about last season, the team lost a few of their best players to injuries. Their best shooter & scoring options (Jazlen Green & Cailyn Crocker) were out. Having them back this year plus the returning players from last year, this squad is going to surprise some teams. Knowing how to play together and play off of each other is going to be a big advantage for a team that could never settle in during last year’s chaotic season.
@JellyBean, Cal has a game with Sacramento State Tuesday Nov. 9 at 7pm at Haas that will be streamed on the PAC12 website and app. Sac.St.'s coach is Kelly Grave's former assistant Mark Campbell. Minyon Moore from USC/Oregon is an asst. coach! Cal should be an exciting team to watch this season with all the injured players back plus All-PAC12 candidate Dalayah Daniels.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon will be without both its starting guards (Rogers and PaoPao) for tomorrow's opener against Idaho State, #11 in the latest mid-major rankings. Rogers won't be back until the conference season; Graves hopes PaoPao will be available in time for the tournament in the Bahamas beginning November 10. Not a great start, to put it mildly.

Reaction Score
UCLA PG Gina Conti sustained a foot injury and F Angela Dugalic suffered a knee contusion reportedly at a closed scrimmage at Texas Oct 31. Both expected unavailable for several weeks. Conti underwent surgery to repair the injury. Tough loss for the Bruins who already lost F Emily Bessoir for the season with an ACL tear.

Shows why it helps to have multiple PGs on the roster in the event of such injuries (as long as the staff can keep everyone satisfied with PT).
UCLA will probably move Charisma Osborne back to the starting lead guard role with help from backups Kiara Jefferson and Dominique Onu (nee Darius). Dugalic's injury most likely moves Izzy Anstey to a starter role.

Reaction Score
Cal shooting the ball better so far. 52% from the field. Doing better at the 3 ball...57%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom