PAC 12 WBB News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the East Coast it's hard to quite follow what has happened with Oregon.

how much of that #1 class remains? Are they a sneaky pick to seriously improve?
Absolutely! Their weakness last season might turn out to be their strength this season. Injuries killed them last season. They had no depth at the point. By the time they got to the tounament they lost not only their starter but the patched in back up who was not even a point. Their bigs also were never a hundred percent. Pao Pao is one of the best points in the country and the picked up the transfer Rodgers from USC who is also very good. If they stay healthy they will be trouble for anyone.

Reaction Score
Absolutely! Their weakness last season might turn out to be their strength this season. Injuries killed them last season. They had no depth at the point. By the time they got to the tounament they lost not only their starter but the patched in back up who was not even a point. Their bigs also were never a hundred percent. Pao Pao is one of the best points in the country and the picked up the transfer Rodgers from USC who is also very good. If they stay healthy they will be trouble for anyone.
I went to the blow out exhibition so it is hard to tell where things are really at but PaoPao played 20 minutes and had 22 points. Endyia Rodgers the transfer from USC plays well with PaoPao and Maddie Scherr has improved so they compliment each other well. Rodgers had 17 points. Wiltalk is correct about the depth.

Reaction Score
Well dang, I've been to Cannon Beach many times, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for Cameron Brink sightings from now on. That big monolithic rock that keeps showing up in the background is Haystack Rock.

The Stoudamire clan is fairly legendary in the Portland area. Antoine is looking kinda old. Time is flying by.
Tell the truth nw, if you were at Cannon Beach and spotted Cameron would you:
a. respect her privacy and maybe snap a photo from afar? or, dare to be great
b. stroll over and say hello and then request a selfie and/or autograph? :cool:

I am a huge fan of hers, she is destined to be a major star in wbb by the time she graduates

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tell the truth nw, if you were at Cannon Beach and spotted Cameron would you:
a. respect her privacy and maybe snap a photo from afar? or, dare to be great
b. stroll over and say hello and then request a selfie and/or autograph? :cool:

I am a huge fan of hers, she is destined to be a major star in wbb by the time she graduates
Maybe say hello but stop short of a selfie and autograph request.

True story, couple years ago I was hiking, ran into a group of 3 heading the other direction. Chatted with them for several minutes. One of them looked awfully familiar, debated about saying anything, just as they were continuing on their way I had to ask. It was indeed Brittany McPhee. This was right after her Senior season. She was cool, totally chill, just a normal person. I didn't realize it til later, but seeing some pics I'm pretty sure the other two were her non-identical twin sister and their brother.

Reaction Score
Cool story--was this in Oregon as well? I remember McPhee well at Stanford--not overly athletic but still managed to be a consistent scorer and was clutch in crunch time. I believe she also won the PAC 12 Scholar Athlete award.
I would have tried (politely) for a selfie or photo with Brink--very tacky I know :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to the blow out exhibition so it is hard to tell where things are really at but PaoPao played 20 minutes and had 22 points. Endyia Rodgers the transfer from USC plays well with PaoPao and Maddie Scherr has improved so they compliment each other well. Rodgers had 17 points. Wiltalk is correct about the depth.

What an infectious smile!

Reaction Score
I believe the PAC-12 will have a representative in the F4 this season, and it could be the Ducks.
Can I ask you about Oregon State? Do they have any missing pieces and what do you see as their biggest concern. I still think Rueck needs more team quickness but that is based on my limited knowledge of who they have now.

Reaction Score
I can contribute more about Oregon but a lot has been said already. I would appreciate fans of other Pac 12 teams to give us their thoughts/ insights on the upcoming year. Particularly Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona, and UW but all welcome. Nancy Mulkey to UW is intriguing but what about supporting cast, for example.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I second everything @Figurehead and @Floridaduck have said. I read in the Albany (OR) paper that Oregon State has 7 players 6'3" or taller and Rueck is open to using a front line that goes 6'9", 6'6", and 6'4" (Mitrovic, Brown, Jones). That must be the tallest frontcourt (and college team) anywhere. Love to hear more, especially about the backcourt, since imo that is really the key to the team's success. I'd likewise eager to learn more about the Arizona schools especially.

Reaction Score
Can I ask you about Oregon State? Do they have any missing pieces and what do you see as their biggest concern. I still think Rueck needs more team quickness but that is based on my limited knowledge of who they have now.
I will be attending the November 6 Exhibition Game, after which I will share my thoughts on this OSU WBB Team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
was this in Oregon as well?
This was a little north and east of Seattle. She was undrafted that year, the Storm brought her to camp as a rookie free agent, but she was cut. She was at home with her family for a little while before she headed to Europe to continue playing bball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nancy Mulkey to UW is intriguing but what about supporting cast, for example.
Haley Van Dyke is by far the most productive of the returning players. Missy Peterson is back after missing a year due to injury. If she can return to her soph rather than junior year form, that will be a nice addition. Mulkey isn't the only player who followed Langley from Rice, there's also Lauren Schwartz, who appears to be a well above average shooter (.506 overall and .420 from 3 last year; averaged 13 ppg). Darcy Rees has always been inconsistent but brings some size and experience and is capable of battling in the front court, on a good day. Other than that, a whole bunch of players on the roster I haven't seen enough from to really have much idea what to expect.

Reaction Score
I'm only posting this 8 second video of the UCLA wbb team because it shows new arrivals Dugalic and Anstey--both 6'4". Haven't heard much about either of them, maybe our Bruin posters can fill us in on how they have looked so far in practice. I was surprised Cory didn't even mention Dugalic during PAC 12 Media Day.

UCLA's roster lists 15 players including Bessoir (out for the season). This photo shows 15 players without Bessoir. Who is the additional player? And why do they list Anstey as a sophomore?

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Today's local paper had comments by Adia Barnes whereby she said she wants to use a 10 player rotation this year. Apparently the roster is 15, she played them all in the exhibition win.

No clue as to the 2nd team, for the exhibition I think I saw the starters were Thomas, Reese, Yeaney, Pellington and Ware. Love got popped in the mouth and required stitches, but did not suffer a concussion.

I didn't go to the game still being perhaps overly Covid cautious because of my wife. I should be getting a booster next week and will probably go to some games after that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No clue as to the 2nd team, for the exhibition I think I saw the starters were Thomas, Reese, Yeaney, Pellington and Ware.
Do you think that is likely to change at some point? Seems like a stout defensive lineup, w/out a whole lot of scoring (at least based off of last year). I would kinda expect one or both of Love or Copeland to start.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Taylor Chavez--both her and Jaz Shelley (now at Nebraska) looked great during Sabrina's final year but lost a lot of playing time last year as Graves tried to find minutes for his Fab Five freshman class. Also, if I recall, Taylor had family issues that caused her to miss a number of games. I think she might surprise some people--she is a very good three point shooter.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Do you think that is likely to change at some point? Seems like a stout defensive lineup, w/out a whole lot of scoring (at least based off of last year). I would kinda expect one or both of Love or Copeland to start.
Right now she is talking a 10 player rotation. Not sure it matters specifically who starts. Our local writer was raving about the team in today's paper. There really are very few "obvious" weak links, although, as always, it is hard to evaluate the overseas players in advance.

Reaction Score
Oregon fans may enjoy this Q&A with the two Aussie transfers Hurst and Dufficy--wondering what kind of PT they will get this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was just thinking this. Both were solid stars at their (albeit weaker) former programs. I agree this lineup doesn’t appear to play to the team’s strengths. Ware in particular does not impress me.

Then again, Adia got a team that really had no business, at least on paper, making the Final Four to one basket shy of a national title, so I guess I’ve gotta trust her, right?

Reaction Score

Kiki Rice, No. 2 women's prospect in ESPN's class of 2022, commits to UCLA​

2:55 PM PT
  • i

Jonathan GivonyESPN

Kiki Rice, the No. 2 prospect in the ESPN class of 2022, has committed to UCLA, she told ESPN Thursday.
"This was a really tough decision because of all the great options I had, but I felt like at UCLA I have the unique opportunity to play a key role in bringing a program that's knocking at the door to their first Final Four and national championship," Rice told ESPN. "They offered me the best opportunity to achieve my goals while being developed and challenged as both a player and a person."

Rice was choosing between a group of schools that also included UConn, Stanford, Arizona and Duke. She is the highest-ranked prospect to commit to UCLA since the ESPN HoopGurlz recruiting database was created in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom