P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I hope he commits to Uconn but would someone explain how he is a one and done or maybe two year guy as the consensus seems to be if his offensive skills are really so raw.

Reaction Score
I hope he commits to Uconn but would someone explain how he is a one and done or maybe two year guy as the consensus seems to be if his offensive skills are really so raw.
He's 6' 9" and extremely athletic. His skills right now are things that can't be taught. A five star recruit doesn't start his freshman year with trying to learn how to put the ball in the hoop. He can do that already.

Reaction Score
I'll admit I'm making a lot of assumptions but if Josh and Sid both continue to get better, Akok is the real deal and CV comes back, that's a damn good lineup. AG, CV, Precious, Akok, Carlton should be a team that wins 20+ games and only gets more dangerous as the year goes on

One of Akok, Precious, Carlton is going to need to come off the bench. Bouknight or Sid would need to play the 3.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's 6' 9" and extremely athletic. His skills right now are things that can't be taught. A five star recruit doesn't start his freshman year with trying to learn how to put the ball in the hoop. He can do that already.
Maybe you can expand a little on his offensive skills which others seem to assess as "very raw". Does "putting the ball in the basket" mean anything more dunking? Threes? Can he put the ball on the floor and attack the rim? etc.?

Reaction Score
I would truly love it if this kid chooses Uconn, but I also think we could be a top 25 team next year without Precious, and if he does come here and he's one and done, then what does that do for us?

There are very few people at 6'9 (we will probably list him 6'10) that can move the way he does. Even in the NBA. Unstoppable in transition. He's an athletic freak. He could be a + defender in the league TODAY. Can't teach that.

His passing is actually pretty good relative to his other skills. He can't shoot right now or handle in the half court is all. Both of those can be taught with a few years in the league.

Reaction Score
Maybe you can expand a little on his offensive skills which others seem to assess as "very raw". Does "putting the ball in the basket" mean anything more dunking? Threes? Can he put the ball on the floor and attack the rim? etc.?

He has a good 1-3 dribble straight line drive. No real counters currently.

Not a great shooter at all, but the base for success is there with some coaching.

He is great at dunks, put backs, basically anything under the hoop.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would truly love it if this kid chooses Uconn, but I also think we could be a top 25 team next year without Precious, and if he does come here and he's one and done, then what does that do for us?

Pump the breaks. Real young and raw next year. Very limited front court atm. It's a rebuild, not a rocket ship to the moon.

Reaction Score
It helps lure in other top talent in the future. Recruits want coaches who have put guys into the league before

Reaction Score
Pump the breaks. Real young and raw next year. Very limited front court atm. It's a rebuild, not a rocket ship to the moon.
Oh ok, so the kids a five star recruit, ranked 9th among high school players in the nation, yet according to you he's a project with a limited basketball IQ. I love your logic and keen insight. You better call up Coach Hurley and warn him not to expect too much from this kid next year. Thanks for the recruiting update.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh ok, so the kids a five star recruit, ranked 9th among high school players in the nation, yet according to you he's a project. You better call up Coach Hurley and tell him not to expect too much from this kid next year.
He was referring to the team being young and raw next season. You seem to be under the impression Precious has committed to UConn, he hasn't. Don't worry you're not alone, it seems like half the board thinks it.

Reaction Score
He was referring to the team being young and raw next season. You seem to be under the impression Precious has committed to UConn, he hasn't. Don't worry you're not alone, it seems like half the board thinks it.
Nope, I don't know what I said that makes you think that. I said in an earlier post in this thread that "I truly hope he commits to UConn......."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Oh ok, so the kids a five star recruit, ranked 9th among high school players in the nation, yet according to you he's a project with a limited basketball IQ. You better call up Coach Hurley and warn him not to expect too much from this kid next year. Thanks for the recruiting update.

I think you meant to respond to 429's post above. Mine was about the team next year. Pretty raw.

Reaction Score
Nope, I don't know what I said that makes you think that. I said in an earlier post in this thread that "I truly hope he commits to UConn.."
Your post. Go back and read intlzncster's post and read your reply.

Reaction Score
I think you meant to respond to 429's post above. Mine was about the team next year. Pretty raw.

Shh I don't want to have to respond.

People don't realize pointing out a player's limitations doesn't mean he's awful. I don't want to have to explain this to the casual fans.

Reaction Score

Nope, if I had mean't that I would have quoted him, not the poster I did quote. As long you bring it up though why next year with sophmore Sidney Wilson, junior Josh Carlton, senior Christian Vital, a healthy Gilbert, and one of the top recruiting classes in the nation (if we get PA), do you think UCONN will still struggle?

Reaction Score
Nope, if I had mean't that I would have quoted him, not the poster I did quote. As long you bring it up though why next year with sophmore Sidney Wilson, junior Josh Carlton, senior Christian Vital, a healthy Gilbert, and one of the top recruiting classes in the nation (if we get PA), do you think UCONN will still struggle?

I think we will struggle against teams with athletic guards. If they can keep AG from leading the team with pressure on-ball, I don't know if gaffney, CV, bouknight are oing to be able to be a point guard right now. Only 1 pure point on the team is tough.

Unlike past years, between Precious, an improved Carlton, some grad transfer/juco big, and akok, we should be more than solid underneath.

For that reason, I'd see us as a top 50 team, maybe fringe 25, but not a contender for the sweet 16. All assuming there's no big surprises over the summer.

Reaction Score
Your post. Go back and read intlzncster's post and read your reply.
IF we get him....that can be interpreted two ways. Did you not read my post right before that where I state "I truly hope he commits to UConn"? I guess not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Not struggle, but you said Top 25 team. That's too much.

I'm not counting on everything breaking right for us--after what we've been though, how could you? Whether that's Gilbert's health, integration of the freshman, leaps of particular players or what have you. Outside of Gilbert, Wilson and Sr Vital (and that's recognizing the limitations of the the latter two), I'm not high on our other returning players.

We will be relying a ton on freshman to get it done.

Reaction Score
IF we get him....that can be interpreted two ways. Did you not read my post right before that where I state "I truly hope he commits to UConn"? I guess not.
Nope, I didn't see that. The post I read sounded like you thought he has committed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
With Precious on the Roster and if AG is healthy we would be a top 25 team next year that could win a few games in the tourney. You would be looking at a starting lineup of Carlton, Wilson (or Akok), Precious, CV, and AG. Off the bench you have another 5 of Diarra, Akok (or Wilson), Polley, Gaffny, and Bouknight. That's a legit team. Like the previous poster I'm not getting my hopes up thought on Precious coming here,
"Like the previous poster"? Jeez, you just had to look up 1" and then @ me, bro.

Reaction Score

I'm not counting on everything breaking right for us--after what we've been though, how could you? Whether that's Gilbert's health, integration of the freshman, leaps of particular players or what have you. Outside of Gilbert, Wilson and Sr Vital (and that's recognizing the limitations of the the latter two), I'm not high on our other returning players.

If we get Achiuwa we could definitely be a top 25 team. I think because we've sucked so much the past few years fans have totally forgotten what it's like to be good.

Reaction Score

Well I just prefer to look at next years prospects for next years team with the glass half full. You obviously do not. Polley has been playing very well lately, have you noticed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illini98

Top Bottom