P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well I just prefer to look at next years prospects for next years team with the glass half full. You obviously do not.

I'm pretty middle of the road about these things. Most of our guys have severe limitations. Notably in the size/speed/athleticism dept.

Polley has been playing very well lately, have you noticed?

Haven't been that impressed. He's OK. But he should be coming off the bench in a 10-15min reserve role. Carlton same.

Reaction Score
First of all , we get precious, and one grad transfer semi legit big or juco big we are absolutely a tourney team next year. AG, Vital at the point wud be cool to see after another summer with hurley. The fun question to ask is who starts at the 3 and 4 out of Sid , akok, precious, and polley? Gotta figure polley comes off bench like a mini shoddy Anderson type guy to bang treys. But who’s the odd man out between Sid, akok, precious? Good problem to have

Reaction Score
I'm pretty middle of the road about these things. Most of our guys have severe limitations. Notably in the size/speed/athleticism dept.

Haven't been that impressed. He's OK. But he should be coming off the bench in a 10-15min reserve role. Carlton same.
Disagree on Carlton. He has been developing well and will be really good with another offseason strengthening. He has made a big jump this year and is normally a huge factor for us inside. Polley is really a bench player like you mentioned but Carlton is definitely the starter next year at center and he should be as he keeps on developing.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Disagree on Carlton. He has been developing well and will be really good with another offseason strengthening. He has made a big jump this year and is normally a huge factor for us inside. Polley is really a bench player like you mentioned but Carlton is definitely the starter next year at center and he should be as he keeps on developing.
Carlton has been the most impressive and surprising development this season. I was very low on him mid-way through the season. Something clicked in the last 10 games. He feels and looks much more physically imposing than even just December. He is going to take another huge leap next season, health permitting.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Carlton has been the most impressive and surprising development this season. I was very low on him mid-way through the season. Something clicked in the last 10 games. He feels and looks much more physically imposing than even just December. He is going to take another huge leap next season, health permitting.
Josh has been an playing well but just as importantly, as you said, he is more physically imposing. I sat down close at the ECU game and he has definitely gotten much more muscular as the season progressed which is unusual. The only down side is that it seems to have caused some inconsistencies in his free throw stroke.

Reaction Score
I would truly love it if this kid chooses Uconn, but I also think we could be a top 25 team next year without Precious, and if he does come here and he's one and done, then what does that do for us?
I think it to be a positive any time you bring in elite talent. My annual model for recruiting would be some one who’s here for one year (precious)another for 2(Akok) 3 (bouknight) and 4(gaffney) and a grad if needed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

He's OK. Play him against UK, Duke, Kansas, front lines and he just couldn't compete.

He'll be serviceable. But not a force, and certainly not a dominant. We need a beast down low and he's not that.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He's OK. Play him against UK, Duke, Kansas, front lines and he just couldn't compete.

He'll be serviceable. But not a force, and certainly not a dominant. We need a beast down low and he's not that.
So you’re saying he can’t compete against the best teams in the country? We should probably just revoke his scholarship.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

If he can compete with everyone except UK, Duke and Kansas' front line, I'm ok with that.

Duke doesn't have an imposing front court. They just have 3 NBA ready wing players.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So you’re saying he can’t compete against the best teams in the country? We should probably just revoke his scholarship.

No. I'm saying he's better suited as nice backup. It's just my opinion. I'd rather have a guy like Kofi down there. Someone to be feared.

We've been playing with a relatively empty hole down low for so long, y'all have gotten used to it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Duke doesn't have an imposing front court. They just have 3 NBA ready wing players.

WHich in college, is imposing, even down low. They've got athletes man. Carlton is not an athlete, and he doesn't have a natural motor.

I don't dislike him, just think that, on a good team, he's a back up. He would have backed up on damn near all of our good teams in the past.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No. I'm saying he's better suited as nice backup. It's just my opinion. I'd rather have a guy like Kofi down there. Someone to be feared.

We've been playing with a relatively empty hole down low for so long, y'all have gotten used to it.

If your standard for acceptable starting center is someone who can go toe-to-toe with Duke/UK/Kansas on any given night, I don’t think you’re going to be very happy in the long run.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
WHich in college, is imposing, even down low. They've got athletes man. Carlton is not an athlete, and he doesn't have a natural motor.

I don't dislike him, just think that, on a good team, he's a back up. He would have backed up on damn near all of our good teams in the past.
If we played Duke, Carlton would be guarding Marques Bolden. Not Barrett, Reddish or Zion Williamson. And no one in college basketball, or most of the NBA probably, can shut down Zion driving to the basket.

I thought at the beginning of the year, Carlton is a back up quality center. But I'm starting to have faith that with another off season with Sal, Hurley and the rest of the coaching staff, he can turn into a really good center.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If we played Duke, Carlton would be guarding Marques Bolden. Not Barrett, Reddish or Zion Williamson. And no one in college basketball, or most of the NBA probably, can shut down Zion driving to the basket.

I thought at the beginning of the year, Carlton is a back up quality center. But I'm starting to have faith that with another off season with Sal and Hurley, he can turn into a really good center.

If they can get him say, a Jeff Adrien motor, and 75% of the strength, I'd agree. Jeff was much more athletic of course. But I'd take 75% of Adrien in a heartbeat.

For the record, the Duke, Kansas, UK, MSU comment was a generality, not meant to say specific players matching up against so and so. Just referencing real talent, size, strength, athleticism and motor. None of those dudes will even be here next year. It's the idea of it that I was talking about.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If your standard for acceptable starting center is someone who can go toe-to-toe with Duke/UK/Kansas on any given night, I don’t think you’re going to be very happy in the long run.

Why? Many of our past teams could do this. How many of our teams would Carlton have started on?

Now, I'd start Carlton with high athleticism and hope he develops no problem.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why? Many of our past teams could do this. How many of our teams would Carlton have started on?

Because we’re in a vastly different place as a program than we were at the times of those past teams, and circumstances outside our control may keep us from getting back there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Because we’re in a vastly different place as a program than we were at the times of those past teams, and circumstances outside our control may keep us from getting back there.

I get that. We have definitive headwinds. I don't discount it. I'm just of the opinion that we can get back to being a force with the right staff, which we very well might have right now.

It's not like we were a NC contender every year under Calhoun. We should be able to compete with many of those teams (not necessarily the top teams like 2004/1999 etc). I'm having trouble thinking of a team Carlton would start for at all in the last 25 years or so.

I've been firm about it taking time though. Next year, specifically, I think our weakness in the post will again be the albatross which holds us back.

Specific to Josh, don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with his growth this year. But he was starting from such a low point, that I think that while people are (rightfully) excited about his growth, they are (wrongfully) conflating that with the level at which the talent should be at. Not sure if I'm stating that clearly.

Look, many of us were lukewarm on Brimah. Yet he would start over Josh. We need an upgrade from Brimah. And I don't think that's unrealistic.

Perhaps Hurley can bring another few levels out of Josh. And I could turn out to be wrong by the time he's a Senior. I'm just hoping for more than 'serviceable'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stain has made it abundantly clear the past couple years he doesn't expect UConn basketball to ever be good again.

Reaction Score
Stain has made it abundantly clear the past couple years he doesn't expect UConn basketball to ever be good again.
I've followed UConn basketball since the Tony Hanson years, ups and downs over the years yes, but never relevant again? What's his reasoning for that opinion?

Reaction Score
I've followed UConn basketball since the Tony Hanson years, ups and downs over the years yes, but never relevant again? What's his reasoning for that opinion?
I think conference is the major factor. He thought we could never attract a coach like Hurley.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I get that. We have definitive headwinds. I don't discount it. I'm just of the opinion that we can get back to being a force with the right staff, which we very well might have right now.

It's not like we were a NC contender every year under Calhoun. We should be able to compete with many of those teams (not necessarily the top teams like 2004/1999 etc). I'm having trouble thinking of a team Carlton would start for at all in the last 25 years or so.

I've been firm about it taking time though. Next year, specifically, I think our weakness in the post will again be the albatross which holds us back.

Specific to Josh, don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with his growth this year. But he was starting from such a low point, that I think that while people are (rightfully) excited about his growth, they are (wrongfully) conflating that with the level at which the talent should be at. Not sure if I'm stating that clearly.

Look, many of us were lukewarm on Brimah. Yet he would start over Josh. We need an upgrade from Brimah. And I don't think that's unrealistic.

Perhaps Hurley can bring another few levels out of Josh. And I could turn out to be wrong by the time he's a Senior. I'm just hoping for more than 'serviceable'.
I’d play Carlton over Chuck O

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’d play Carlton over Chuck O

That's true, but that's being disingenuous. I think it's clear that by 'starter', I'm talking the guy who actually gets the lion share of the minutes. Chuck started some games in name only. Same as Olander.

The effective 'starters' (ie the guys who actually played) were Roscoe and Oriakhi. And Carlton would not be taking minutes from those two. What'd Chuck average 10min a game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom