P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program | The Boneyard

P. Achiuwa possible impact on the future of the program

Reaction Score
Obviously especially over the last 2-3 years or so Uconn has missed out on a few top 25 recruits that would’ve probably changed the current narrative of the program. I believe it continues to show that this program needs a game changing player (& Hurley) to get this program back to being a NCAA Tournament team yearly. Hoping Mr. Achiuwa decides to come to Uconn & he can help with Hurley streamline this program back to relevance. His decision in my eyes is the most influential item that this program will go through until the summertime & yes I understand & agree with the development of the young players over the next 10 games or so (happy they are getting to play considering the situation), but again when Precious decides that will be the moment I will be glued to....

I ask the recruiting experts, how good is this kid? If he does come to Uconn will he put them back into the top 25 national spotlight, & if he doesn’t come to Uconn, obviously they already have 3 top 100 recruits where do you see this program for next year?

Reaction Score
This team has showed that the culture within the locker room has already changed. Landing Precious tells me the culture has changed on the recruiting trail as well. A pretty incredible feat considering the downward spiral of the last staff.

With him on the roster I don’t think we’re a top 25 team next year. Maybe we make the tournament. If he stayed 2 years, which I think he ultimately will, we’re a top 25 team in ‘20-21.

Potential ‘20-21 roster:
Sr. Alterique/So. Gaffney
So. Bouk
So. Precious/Jr. Sid/Sr. Polley
So. Akok
Sr. Carlton

Reaction Score
With Precious on the Roster and if AG is healthy we would be a top 25 team next year that could win a few games in the tourney. You would be looking at a starting lineup of Carlton, Wilson (or Akok), Precious, CV, and AG. Off the bench you have another 5 of Diarra, Akok (or Wilson), Polley, Gaffny, and Bouknight. That's a legit team. Like the previous poster I'm not getting my hopes up thought on Precious coming here,

Reaction Score
Obviously especially over the last 2-3 years or so Uconn has missed out on a few top 25 recruits that would’ve probably changed the current narrative of the program. I believe it continues to show that this program needs a game changing player (& Hurley) to get this program back to being a NCAA Tournament team yearly. Hoping Mr. Achiuwa decides to come to Uconn & he can help with Hurley streamline this program back to relevance. His decision in my eyes is the most influential item that this program will go through until the summertime & yes I understand & agree with the development of the young players over the next 10 games or so (happy they are getting to play considering the situation), but again when Precious decides that will be the moment I will be glued to....

I ask the recruiting experts, how good is this kid? If he does come to Uconn will he put them back into the top 25 national spotlight, & if he doesn’t come to Uconn, obviously they already have 3 top 100 recruits where do you see this program for next year?

I think the yard needs to temper expectations on Precious even if he does come here.

He is extremely extremely extremely raw offensively. A very talented and versatile defender, and a superior athlete. That's "it". He isn't going to be hitting jumpers and leading the offense. He'll bang down low and overpower small 4s, and 1-dribble drive to the basket against bigs.

As @UConnStats has pointed out, he's not in any mocks at all because of his offensive rawness.

I expect he would start and be one of the better defenders in the AAC. Expecting 14+ PPG out of him is too much. Think of him as Sid, but 4 inches taller, and 35lbs heavier. Great athlete--not much else yet.

Reaction Score
I think the yard needs to temper expectations on Precious even if he does come here.

He is extremely extremely extremely raw offensively. A very talented and versatile defender, and a superior athlete. That's "it". He isn't going to be hitting jumpers and leading the offense. He'll bang down low and overpower small 4s, and 1-dribble drive to the basket against bigs.

As @UConnStats has pointed out, he's not in any mocks at all because of his offensive rawness.

I expect he would start and be one of the better defenders in the AAC. Expecting 14+ PPG out of him is too much. Think of him as Sid, but 4 inches taller, and 35lbs heavier. Great athlete--not much else yet.

You are right on the money based on the two games I saw and the last thing the Boneyard needs is otherworldly expectations that aren't immediately met.

Reaction Score
Not sure why, but if I try and think of this I start to tremble and cry a little.

Yeah, a 6'10 215lb sid is a pretty good bball player. Tempering expectations for this kid at ANY college is going to be important for fans.

Reaction Score
This team has showed that the culture within the locker room has already changed. Landing Precious tells me the culture has changed on the recruiting trail as well. A pretty incredible feat considering the downward spiral of the last staff.

With him on the roster I don’t think we’re a top 25 team next year. Maybe we make the tournament. If he stayed 2 years, which I think he ultimately will, we’re a top 25 team in ‘20-21.

Potential ‘20-21 roster:
Sr. Alterique/So. Gaffney
So. Bouk
So. Precious/Jr. Sid/Sr. Polley
So. Akok
Sr. Carlton
If he stays two years and is as good as advertised along with his fellow class there is absolutely no reason this wouldn't be a top15 team in `20-21. If they aren't then something went really, really wrong.

Reaction Score
If we could have any of the recruited players it would be Akinjo. We desperately need a true PG. We may be asking too much for a freshman combo guard to step up.
Getting Precious would be fantastic but getting a true PG would be even more valuable.

Reaction Score

I would think like 10/7/1.5 is a reasonable line for him as a freshman. More of a defensive asset at the moment.

MKG is probably a close to perfect comp but Achiuwa is an inch and a half taller.
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Reaction Score
Getting a top recruit is one process, keeping them is another as we have plenty of perspective and experience on that. If the program cannot make the player better, go against top flight competition, exposure, etc. there is no reason for the player to stay. Seems like our promises failed the top recruits in the recent past, however this staff seems to have the body of work to demonstrate successful skill/character building. Recent examples, CV, Carlton, and I believe Polley will be there as well. We have the process, now need the horses.

Reaction Score
If he comes here and is good enough to go in the first round after his freshman year then we should be a tournament team next year.

Agreed.

One thing any team should be concerned about is that they may not look great if he isnt a 1st round pick year 1. And Im not sure he is currently.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If he comes here and is good enough to go in the first round after his freshman year then we should be a tournament team next year.

Maybe. We'll have some talent, but most of it will be young and raw. We always get a little ahead of ourselves on this stuff (see most of the yard this year).

Reaction Score
Maybe. We'll have some talent, but most of it will be young and raw. We always get a little ahead of ourselves on this stuff (see most of the yard this year).
I'll admit I'm making a lot of assumptions but if Josh and Sid both continue to get better, Akok is the real deal and CV comes back, that's a damn good lineup. AG, CV, Precious, Akok, Carlton should be a team that wins 20+ games and only gets more dangerous as the year goes on

Reaction Score
In e

In essence he should be our 4

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll admit I'm making a lot of assumptions but if Josh and Sid both continue to get better, Akok is the real deal and CV comes back, that's a damn good lineup. AG, CV, Precious, Akok, Carlton should be a team that wins 20+ games and only gets more dangerous as the year goes on

I love the enthusiasm, I do, but how often has everything broken right for us as of late?

Reaction Score
With Precious on the Roster and if AG is healthy we would be a top 25 team next year that could win a few games in the tourney. You would be looking at a starting lineup of Carlton, Wilson (or Akok), Precious, CV, and AG. Off the bench you have another 5 of Diarra, Akok (or Wilson), Polley, Gaffny, and Bouknight. That's a legit team. Like the previous poster I'm not getting my hopes up thought on Precious coming here,
I would truly love it if this kid chooses Uconn, but I also think we could be a top 25 team next year without Precious, and if he does come here and he's one and done, then what does that do for us?

Reaction Score
I have trust in Hurley even if Precious doesn't come here. We thought they would be totally lost without JA and AG, but they have been very competitive against good teams. a win in either case would have been special, but the intensity is there still. the big problem with them is coming back for the 2nd half. they give up points right away and have to go on a run just to get close. Would be nice if they could start that half with at least even up with the opponent,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom