Oz says Gilbert to Shockers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oz says Gilbert to Shockers

Reaction Score
The last thing AG needs is to be the man and have no help. It doesn’t work for him.

Exactly. I see lots of blocked shots and this not turning out well. I really hope AG finds a better situation than a team that just had 7 players transfer out.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
My goodness!!! That’s weird but good luck. Your leaving an overall ugly situation to go to an uglier situation. Why not try something pretty while you have the opportunity.

Reaction Score
This would be an absolutely bizarre choice. WSU is a fine program and Marshall is a good coach, but:
- playing in the same mediocre league with minimal exposure against players and coaches who already know his tendencies and how to make him look bad
- being somehow even farther from home

Reaction Score
If Gilbert regains some of his lost quickness the blocks will diminish greatly. He was very close this year to getting back to his freshman self but he was too big, carrying too much weight and just a hair mentally slow.

Best of luck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Given how poorly anyone has been able to predict the future for any player, the team, the school, the country and the world, it is interesting to see how many Nostradamuses we have here.

I trust that Al will get input from Hurley, his family and others whom he trusts in order to try to land in the best overall situation for him, and more than anything I trust that he will work his ass off trying to make the best of wherever he lands.

pj

Reaction Score
This would be an absolutely bizarre choice. WSU is a fine program and Marshall is a good coach, but:
- playing in the same mediocre league with minimal exposure against players and coaches who already know his tendencies and how to make him look bad
- being somehow even farther from home

If you have ambitions as a player, you want to play against opponents who know your weaknesses and strengths, and defend you optimally. That's what you'll face as a pro and the more experience you get against it in college, the better off you are.

The last thing AG needs is to be the man and have no help. It doesn’t work for him.

It depends - his future is as a point guard - he needs to be "the man" in terms of learning how to lead his team as a distributor and facilitator. Yes, he can't be the man as the scorer with no scoring help. But do you know that that's going to be the situation in Wichita?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
A little weird how everyone is willing to write off Wichita based on not a whole lot. They were a Final Four team and national contender in the very recent past.
Their entire team transferred because they couldn't stand the head coach. That's something to write them off for...

Reaction Score
The idea that going to Wichita State would somehow turn into Alterique 'trying to be the man' and having to do it all by himself is not even close to correct. AG with Dexter Dennis and Tyson Etienne would rival Houston as the best backcourt in whatever conference those teams play in is called next season. Add Wade, Bilau, a couple of big bodies and even one more transfer and that's the kind of team Gregg Marshall has nationally ranked by midseason.

It really seems like everyone is overblowing this 'exodus' into some sort of demise of Marshall as a coach. He had way too many similar players battling for minutes at the same positions, something that leads to unhappiness and transfers at programs all over. He also hasn't had a team win less than 22 games in more than a decade and is without question one of the best coaches in the sport at maximizing results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AG with Dexter Dennis and Tyson Etienne would rival Houston as the best backcourt in whatever conference those teams play in is called next season.

If, big if, all of Houston's backcourt pieces return, Houston will have one of, if not the best, backcourts in America.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Given how poorly anyone has been able to predict the future for any player, the team, the school, the country and the world, it is interesting to see how many Nostradamuses we have here.
This quote made me laugh. Interesting, but not shocking, right?

FWIW, I'd rather see Gilbert closer to home so he has a support a network. That said, I'm rooting for him wherever he goes. He's a talented kid who has caught more than his share of bad breaks.

Reaction Score
Here's what Kansas.com has to say about Gilbert. Interesting analysis. I wonder what our knowledgeable posters think of what they're saying?

Pretty high level interest and, if real, seems there's better options than WSU. How about Musselman at Arkansas or Crean at Georgia (I know he's a crazy man but my Indiana relatives all felt he did a good job there with player development)?

Something doesn't seem right at WSU. Marshall has a great reputation but lost a lot of players two years ago, rebuilt with Stevenson and others, and now Stevenson and 6 others are leaving en mass.
Alterique Gilbert (Connecticut graduate transfer)

Vitals: 6-foot-0, 180-pound point guard from Atlanta, Ga.

2019-20 season: Averaged 8.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.1 steals in 27.2 minutes per game with 20 starts for Connecticut, which finished 19-12 in the American. Shot 34.6% from the field, 31.8% on three-pointers and 67.1% on free throws.

Current recruiting: Interest from Texas Tech, Florida, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Arkansas, Georgia, Loyola Chicago, Georgia State, Towson, Tulane, East Carolina and George Washington, per 247 Sports.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article241391931.html#storylink=cpy

Wichita State has shown interest in Alterique Gilbert (@Alterique_G), a 6'0" point guard grad transfer from UConn. Former 5-star recruit & McDonald's All-American who was hampered by injuries.

Can be electric playmaker off the bounce. Deft passing touch. Absolute dog on defense.

Embedded video

10:26 PM - Mar 21, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

18 people are talking about this
Outlook: Former five-star recruit and McDonald’s All-American who never could overcome shoulder injuries while at UConn. The talent has always been there and Gilbert hopes a new environment will bring out the best in him for his final season. He can be an absolute electric playmaker, capable of breaking down defenders one-on-one or team defenses in the pick-and-roll game. He’s a point guard that needs the ball in his hands with the overwhelming majority of his shots coming off the dribble. That can lead to difficult shots, which explains his 34.6% shooting percentage, but Gilbert is a tough shot-maker. He’s a streaky shooter, but showed some consistency in conference play and drilled 36.5% of his threes in AAC games. But at just 6-foot, Gilbert struggles to finish inside and shot just 38.5% at the rim, per Synergy, this past season. Gilbert is a very skilled passer that routinely threads the needle, which led to a career-best 27.2% assist rate (sixth-best in AAC) and career-worst 23.0% turnover rate this past season. His quickness has translated to an above-average steal rate his entire career and Gilbert rated as an “Excellent” defender on Synergy this past season. Since UConn is leaving the American, Gilbert would be eligible to play immediately at WSU.Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article241391931.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: pj

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This quote made me laugh. Interesting, but not shocking, right?

FWIW, I'd rather see Gilbert closer to home so he has a support a network. That said, I'm rooting for him where ever he goes. He's a talented kid who has caught more than his share of bad breaks.
He has also said he'd like to be closer to home, which makes sense; but it also makes me think that if he ends up at a place like Wichita, it must be because it offered other opportunities that outweighed that criterion.

If I had thought of the "shocking" pun I might have used it; I was more concerned whether the plural should be "Nostradami."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was more concerned whether the plural should be "Nostradami."
I'm glad I scrolled down before commenting.

The plural form of Nostrdamus struck me as more likely for fruitful conversation than speculation about those whose comments display confidence in predictions. While I'd never imagine it from you, I'm nonetheless grateful that you did not offer Nostradamus's or, worse, Nostradamus'.

Until I learn more, I'll continue to go with the thought that the UConn coaching staff is helping him get right-placed. If it's WSU, I've got a comment sitting in reserve.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The last staff had so much trouble recruiting they needed guys like oz and Swain in Ga. to help. I will leave it at that.

Well if he 'helped', that implies he offered the bag. Cause that's the only thing he could realistically do as an outsider. And that means he just admitted that in public which is great.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Kemba Time, post: 3491169, member: 2962]

It really seems like everyone is overblowing this 'exodus' into some sort of demise of Marshall as a coach. He had way too many similar players battling for minutes at the same positions, something that leads to unhappiness and transfers at programs all over. He also hasn't had a team win less than 22 games in more than a decade and is without question one of the best coaches in the sport at maximizing results.
[/QUOTE]

You really don't think SEVEN players transferring out from WSU is cause for concern? Amazing.

Reaction Score
Well the freshman who started for him and is departing is not half as impactful as the guy who played the last 7-8 games for our Huskies. Would be a nice get for Marshall but wherever he goes hope he does great things, he deserves it!

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Kemba Time, post: 3491169, member: 2962]

You really don't think SEVEN players transferring out from WSU is cause for concern? Amazing.
[/QUOTE]
Not particularly. Transfers are so common right now and most of this is very much about playing time and over-recruiting at certain positions, and as I mentioned he still has a strong core coming back around potential newcomers. Gregg Marshall has a long track record of success that makes it much less concerning that if it were an unexperienced or struggling coach. Set a number for Wichita State wins in the next 1, 3 or 5 years and I'll take the over every time if Marshall's there.

Reaction Score
My only worry is that the 7 transfers seem to refer to how Marshall basically killed their confidence & blamed them when stuff went wrong. With what AG dealt with personally/mentally, the contrast between how DH handled that vs the narrative of how Marshall will handle it concerns me for AG the man, not the basketball player. The lack of support for Marshall from alum with these accusations leads me to assume where there’s smoke there’s fire..... all things considered, hope it works out for AG & he kills it wherever he goes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom