Our ladies game | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Our ladies game

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In the very few close games they play, they completely unravel.

This was not the first time a UConn player could have held for the last shot in a Final 4 game and didn't. Same thing about in the 2012 Final 4 vs Notre Dame. TWICE.

They've also won plenty of close ones too. They get to the FF so often, that you're bound to lose a few. . That's also underselling just how good those ND teams were.

And bear in mind, this is still a pretty young team. They are going to be a monster next year.

Reaction Score
Ugh, stop with the ref crap. Yes, they sucked, but it's not even reason #6 why UConn lost or Mississippi State won.

Ugh not sure where I blamed them, let me read it again?

Oh I didn't I just pointed out to really awful calls, which is expected in the women's game because they are dreadful, that may have impacted the game. Hell if you really want to be honest Chong was most definitely fouled on her drive, not on the block but the girl hit her arm hard with her left hand it's a foul. But it's also such a stupid play by her no one is talking about that. And they just sucked so no blame anywhere but on themselves they got beat by a team that shouldn't be within 25 of them.

Reaction Score
Something has gone wrong in the universe.

This has been a terrible week for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sportscenter just spent their first 15 minutes on this game....more uconn coverage than they've shown for the entire tourney up to now. The average sports fan is watching and mumbling...what the freak is this????

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So that makes her play even more stupid than one can imagine. No excuse.
Just saying there is no need to feel bad for her. Probably wtote this on wrong board. :eek:

C

Chief00

We coukdn't stop their PG off the dribble. That broke everything down defensively. True, on offense, when the defense interferes with the well choreograph plays - that's when someone needs to step up and create their own shots or ad hoc assists. That did not happen often enough. They also had the size, which wore us down inside.

Reaction Score
The perception is this is an upset, which yeah it is because its Uconn, in reality is this a huge upset, it was a young Uconn team, its not like they had Stewie on the team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
2.) Kind of a classic example of lots of talent, not enough leadership on the team. Gabby Williams was a sage tonight - but Katie Lou, Kia Nurse and Collier kept looking to each other to see who else would step up. And no one did. Collier just had an atrocious game. Katie did one of her space trips. Kia just looked.... overwhelmed tonight - and I don't usually see that from her.

3.) Just nip and tuck 'lose yourself a game' kind of stuff. Missed a lot of open shots. Missed layups. Missed free throws. That's what happens.

4.) I AM NOT A SAGE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, but I - no joke - saw maybe... 4 or 5 other non-UConn women's basketball games and 3 of them had Mississippi State in them. Electric PG. Huge womenz up front. Well coached and waaaaaay to stupid to know they shouldn't be playing as well as they were. Usually a good combination.

So good on MSU. But Gino called this in December. They were an immature team. It finally caught up to them.

Very good post.

Until the last, awful play, I'd argue that Chong was stepping well into the void you identified re Nurse, Samuelson, and Collier, and I was feeling good for her,and hopeful that it would be just enough needed to survive a game lacking the necessary three: defensive stops, made free throws, and low turnovers.

On the "waaaaay to stupid to know" point, MSU missed a lot of open(-enough) shots badly in the first half, and just went and got the offensive rebounds like it was no big deal. A hot-shooting team would never have let UConn back into the game.

In 1974, North Carolina State beat UCLA in an overtime semi-final game with a troika of extra small, medium, and extra large to stop UCLA's Championship string at 7. While, NCS was ranked number 1 during the season, it nonetheless registered as a shock that a team with Walton & Wilkes lost.

FOr those who did not watch prior to the game, the Huskies played MUCH better in every other post-season game, and at times were a true thing of beauty to watch. Geno got outcoached last night and still coulda (nearly shoulda) won. The two late missed calls did make a difference ; not to call the flagrant would have been inexcusable, given the clear rule.

Oh well, hoping for a couple of (good) roster changes in the coming weeks back on topic.

Reaction Score
Ching shows why she's usually on the bench

Bad decision, but pretty harsh post don't you think. Chong is a starter and finally came into her own this year, so maybe cut her some slack here. That play wasn't what cost them game, it was the result of a number of missed opportunities and a great game by MSU.

Reaction Score
Not a great week for the UC Athletic Dept. !
Mississippi deserved to win.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Now I never watch a women's game, so someone clarify for me.

How in the hell does UConn look so confused in the last 5 minutes of regulation + OT? Is this the first time they've sniffed a close game with an opponent that throws punches?

Reaction Score
Yep, they didn't play well or smart last night. Haven't seem this team take so many bad shots and poor clock management.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They just didn't play well last night - they were out of sorts from the tip.

God help the country next year, though. It's going to be ugly.
More like the next three years.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You think he is supposed to change in between games?
You're think he's not? He'd already shown a Stanford t-shirt beneath his UConn hoodie in the previous game when he was changing cities. Or what if he'd started the day with a UConn hat so he needn't have changed it for the later game? And what if he were asked about doing so and offered that the higher seed should have gotten the earlier game in order for the winner to watch their prospective opponent in the next game?

Bad mojo.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They just didn't play well last night - they were out of sorts from the tip.

God help the country next year, though. It's going to be ugly.

Geno's growing edge: overtime games. What kind of practice regimen can he devise to prepare for them?

Reaction Score
Ok, I don't really care about the women's team much, but I do watch from time to time. What REALLY lost them the game last night was Geno sitting Dangerfield the entire 4th quarter. She was the only one that could stick with MSU's little PG. When she started and played most of the 3rd quarter UConn dominated them (she penetrated and created opportunities for others at will). I was kind of shocked she sat, what I believe if my memory is correct, for the entire 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
What gets me is UConn get more ratings for ESPN in a loss than BC makes for ESPN in all sports for an entire year yet here we are being blackballed from major conferences by a company in our own state

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Geno came up with a whole bunch of curious plays and decisions
Not his best night

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members