Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well that's just wrong. And Wichita State is the prime example of why it's wrong.

I'm not saying you need an entire roster of juniors and seniors. But Jesus, we can't do it with just two of them and almost two thirds of our roster being freshmen. That's what makes a team that is 10-8 and has difficulty beating teams in the 50-100 range RPI.

Next year, many of these players will have had a year under their belts and I will expect more from each of them. Again, we're already seeing it with Whaley, Carlton, and a couple others...

So you’ve got one or two programs that are built that way and I can point to the 97% of teams that are pieced together on the fly.

The roster turnover across the country increases every year. When the transfer rules are even more lax in the coming years it’s going to be even more pronounced.

If you think you are building around this freshman class - good luck. That doesn’t even seem plausible with where things are now.

Reaction Score
Well that's just wrong. And Wichita State is the prime example of why it's wrong.

I'm not saying you need an entire roster of juniors and seniors. But Jesus, we can't do it with just two of them and almost two thirds of our roster being freshmen. That's what makes a team that is 10-8 and has difficulty beating teams in the 50-100 range RPI.

Next year, many of these players will have had a year under their belts and I will expect more from each of them. Again, we're already seeing it with Whaley, Carlton, and a couple others...
Most top teams win with underclassmen. You're using Gregg Marshall as your example, he's probably the best coach in the country.

Ollie has proven he can't construct and keep a winning team together, whether it's young or old.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So you’ve got one or two programs that are built that way and I can point to the 97% of teams that are pieced together on the fly.

The roster turnover across the country increases every year. When the transfer rules are even more lax in the coming years it’s going to be even more pronounced.

If you think you are building around this freshman class - good luck. That doesn’t even seem plausible with where things are now.

If you believe that 97% of the teams out there are made up primarily of freshmen, then I have some land to sell you in the everglades...

Reaction Score
If you believe that 97% of the teams out there are made up primarily of freshmen, then I have some land to sell you in the everglades...
If Ollie somehow stays and we blow even harder than this season and last you will trot out this same tired excuse.

What exactly would it take for you to realize our coach is in over his head?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I laugh at the references to learning curve here. Using that as a model, the learning curve should show the bulk of the learning early in the process. What we have here is a learning flat line. Firing coaches and running off players isn't learning. It's a Hail Mary straight from the hack coach handbook.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It wasn't a story, it was a question.

The story was about us sucking next year and me saying the same thing. Cool story, bro...

Reaction Score
Why people don't see this is beyond me. I guess no one in this board was a business major. Franchise value is WAY more important than short term cost. I think the body of evidence is clear. KO is not a program builder. Time to cut losses and move on. It's very basic. Coca Cola realized they made a major mistake with "new Coke". Were they supposed to stay with it because of all the production costs and advertising dollars they had sunk into it?? No, they realized they made a mistake, took their pain, and moved on. And their franchise remained as strong as ever. This is pretty basic people.

You fail to recognize this is a state university funded by the state that is in a major budget crisis. You can't just throw $10 mil out the window for the sake of change

Reaction Score
You fail to recognize this is a state university funded by the state that is in a major budget crisis. You can't just throw $10 mil out the window for the sake of change
Just for the sake of change? It's putting money towards saving our basketball program. A basketball program which has been the lifeblood of our state University. Without our basketball program we would still be UMass or URI.

Far more money will be lost if nothing is done.

Reaction Score
What will it take for you to admit our coach is in over his head?

A full roster void of injuries from its PG/ other ball handler and a group of players who have played together for more than 20 games.

Next year will be his judgement day. If they still suck fire him but with the new roster/ young players he deserves next year to prove if he can be the coach or not. This year was a reset/ rebuilding with the turnover from last year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So paying the buyout may have less of a long-term cost to the program than keeping him around. You still need the entirety of that lump sum available, and that still poses a problem as long as the boosters are still a bunch of nutty Melios.

Reaction Score
A full roster void of injuries from its PG/ other ball handler and a group of players who have played together for more than 20 games.

Next year will be his judgement day. If they still suck fire him but with the new roster/ young players he deserves next year to prove if he can be the coach or not. This year was a reset/ rebuilding with the turnover from last year.
Rebuilding what? Jalen does everything for this team and he along with our second best player will be gone next year. You really think a bunch of three star sophomore forwards with Akinjo and a chronically injured Gilbert is going to turn things around under Ollie?

It amazes me how much he has fleeced some of you guys.

Reaction Score
Unless the team really bombs the rest of the way, I would give Ollie until the end of next season. This is still a very young team and when you take Larrier out, it becomes a very shallow bench. David O. and A. A. are not Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller. I hate having either on the floor despite the former having a good game two games ago. The loss of Gilbert is really tough. I believe he would get better shots for many of the other players and let Adams actually rest once in a while.
I still have doubts if Ollie can really develop players, but aside from Adams who do we really have to judge him buy. Enoch, Jackson and Durham all skipped town before we could see. It look like Vital and Jackson started to progress near the end of the season last year.
I hate the embarrassing losses, but I don't think there is enough 'data' to really determine Ollie's effectiveness/ineffectiveness.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They aren’t made up of freshman. They are constantly evolving adding players from multiple sources.

Nobody brings in classes and keeps them together for four years.

UConn is 247 in ‘experience’ in kenpom. Guess who they are tied with - SMU. Gonzaga is 241.

Wichita is 13th yes but...

Duke is second to last.
Robert Morris leading the NEC is third from last.
Alabama is 4th from last.

Being young <> being bad.

You are bad when you have a bad roster, bad coaches or both. Wishcashing this group of freshman into something down the road is crazy. You can’t even guess at who is going to stay one more year nevermind 2 or 3.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Randomly Missouri State is having a good year w a veteran team. 69 kp 15-5 (5-2)

Best player a Juco Sr. Big man a NMSU transfer. Scurry a Juco. Another senior a Howard transfer.

3 of their 8 best players came to Missouri State from high school.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They aren’t made up of freshman. They are constantly evolving adding players from multiple sources.

Nobody brings in classes and keeps them together for four years.

UConn is 247 in ‘experience’ in kenpom. Guess who they are tied with - SMU. Gonzaga is 241.

Wichita is 13th yes but...

Duke is second to last.
Robert Morris leading the NEC is third from last.
Alabama is 4th from last.

Being young <> being bad.

You are bad when you have a bad roster, bad coaches or both. Wishcashing this group of freshman into something down the road is crazy. You can’t even guess at who is going to stay one more year nevermind 2 or 3.

Oh, you mean the Duke team that have 4 of the top 14 recruits in the country? Oh well in that case, you must be right.

C'mon, man. SMU is ranked near us and we are two very similar teams right now. You're right that I don't know who will stay. But I'm right that the ones who are here now are getting better every week. That comes from working hard and getting experience, and it also comes from coaching...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, you mean the Duke team that have 4 of the top 14 recruits in the country? Oh well in that case, you must be right.

C'mon, man. SMU is ranked near us and we are two very similar teams right now. You're right that I don't know who will stay. But I'm right that the ones who are here now are getting better every week. That comes from working hard and getting experience, and it also comes from coaching...

You think SMU is similar to UConn this season?

Seriously?

They are all getting better every week? Diarra got better this week? Who was better on Tuesday?

You have to improve faster than the other teams improve. There is zero evidence that is happening.

You are searching for excuses. There aren’t any. Other than they don’t get breaks.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Seriously?

They had a great win against Wichita, and are having a little bit better of a year. But prior to that, they were on a three game losing streak. Two of those games were to Temple and Tulane...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They had a great win against Wichita, and are having a little bit better of a year. But prior to that, they were on a three game losing streak. Two of those games were to Temple and Tulane...

Dan please. SMU is LIGHTYEARS better than UConn this season.

One is ranked 32nd and one is ranked 157th.

That’s silly.

Reaction Score
Oh my god. They are 13-6 we are 10-8. They have beaten Wichita. Arizona. USC.

Reaction Score

Seriously?

They are all getting better every week? Diarra got better this week? Who was better on Tuesday?

You have to improve faster than the other teams improve. There is zero evidence that is happening.

You are searching for excuses. There aren’t any. Other than they don’t get breaks.
There is no reasoning with crazy.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, this is or has to be the last year. I'm a fan good or bad. That's what term "Fanatic" means, in it for the good and the bad. Your opinion is a valid one but having been a coach at the HS and Div II level, these types of things are planned for, mostly at the college level since obviously the kids you get in HS are what you get but you get the point.

From an all around stand point, this program has faded the last four years in most regards for many reasons. Is KO the answer, not sold but I do like him and what he stands for. That is what makes the decision to keep him or let him go difficult. I'm glad I am not making the decision. What ever h happens, I'll be cheering for who ever is our coach.

Go Huskies!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan please. SMU is LIGHTYEARS better than UConn this season.

One is ranked 32nd and one is ranked 157th.

That’s silly.

If we lost to Tulane, this board may have had a riot. Then if we followed that with a loss to 0-4 Temple to follow, it would have been mass hysteria.

This board doesn't matter to me anymore. I eagerly await the next thread about getting back onto an Ollie platform and then eagerly await the jumping off again of the platform two days later. I don't even participate in the game threads anymore because it is a free for all once we see the first missed shot. It gets tiring. And it sucks the fun right out of UConn sports...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom