Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted

Reaction Score
Great if you can sit thousands of miles away and aren’t paying taxes to educate people who aren’t from here and don’t stay here.

It’s prestige for the sake of prestige.

The University should serve the taxpayers who fund it - not the academics who want to opine on college rankings.
You're right, the goal should be to be the sh^tt^est public out there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're right, the goal should be to be the sh^tt^est public out there.

Good ol GarlicJohn.

Yep, that’s the other option.

You sound like the idiots who claim that anyone who thinks Ollie is doing a bad job is demanding to be Duke or Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Good ol GarlicJohn.

You sound like the idiots who claim that anyone who thinks Ollie is doing a bad job is demanding to be Duke or Kentucky.
What point are you trying to make? Your responses seem to suggest you don't want UConn to be a great University, you want them to be less prestigious. How am I misreading you?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What point are you trying to make? Your responses seem to suggest you don't want UConn to be a great University, you want them to be less prestigious. How am I misreading you?

My original point was that selectivity has nothing to do with basketball.

My point to you is the university should be run to optimize the ROI for taxpayers, not to get as high on the US News list.

Pretty simple. Prestige doesn’t drive the state’s economy and you may heard we have fiscal challenges.

Reaction Score

My point to you is the university should be run to optimize the ROI for taxpayers, not to get as high on the US News list.

Pretty simple. Prestige doesn’t drive the state’s economy and you may heard we have fiscal challenges.
Blame the state for losing companies, never developing any cities to make them attractive to people, and wasting everyone's money. Don't understand how UConn is responsible for young people wanting to go to state's where there are jobs and things to do.

UConn choosing to be a lesser University because of the state's failures makes zero sense.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Good ol GarlicJohn.

giphy.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The US News list may actually drive the ROI, my friend. Out-of-state students pay about 22k more than in-state students, and here's what the CT Mirror had to say about that:

"Two out of every three new seats went to non-Connecticut residents, which means more students than ever are coming from out-of-state. And in more recent years, when new seats were made available almost 90 percent went to non-residents.

Many of the non-Nutmeggers end up sticking around. Among graduates in UConn’s Class of 2015 who were currently employed, 30 percent of those who moved to Connecticut to go to UConn were employed in-state last September. For Connecticut residents, 78 percent stayed and worked in-state."

The state of UConn in 16 charts

I doubt that this drastic increase in out-of-state folks and their subsequent migration to Connecticut would be happening if UConn was not a top-notch school. It's good business to be good at education...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The US News list may actually drive the ROI, my friend. Out-of-state students pay about 22k more than in-state students, and here's what the CT Mirror had to say about that:

"Two out of every three new seats went to non-Connecticut residents, which means more students than ever are coming from out-of-state. And in more recent years, when new seats were made available almost 90 percent went to non-residents.

Many of the non-Nutmeggers end up sticking around. Among graduates in UConn’s Class of 2015 who were currently employed, 30 percent of those who moved to Connecticut to go to UConn were employed in-state last September. For Connecticut residents, 78 percent stayed and worked in-state."

The state of UConn in 16 charts

I doubt that this drastic increase in out-of-state folks and their subsequent migration to Connecticut would be happening if UConn was not a top-notch school. It's good business to be good at education...

Yes, I haven’t studied the actual data. I don’t know where on the curve we are or where ROI is maximized.

My point is that the ranking alone is provides no benefit. Just being higher does not guarantee that the investment is worthy.

What they pay in tuition has no impact on what the state gets for their investment.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Blame the state for losing companies, never developing any cities to make them attractive to people, and wasting everyone's money. Don't understand how UConn is responsible for young people wanting to go to state's where there are jobs and things to do.

UConn choosing to be a lesser University because of the state's failures makes zero sense.

This is so stupid it’s painful.

Why in the world would CT spend it’s tax revenue on a university to benefit other places?

The whole point is to invest the money for a return TO THE STATE.

Not to rank high in some worthless magazine poll.

Stop posting before they knock UConn down 3 slots on this nonsense.

Why don’t you send CT tens of thousands of dollars a year to educate kids to work elsewhere if you care so much about a dumb ranking.

Reaction Score
This is so stupid it’s painful.

Why in the world would CT spend it’s tax revenue on a university to benefit other places?

The whole point is to invest the money for a return TO THE STATE.

Not to rank high in some worthless magazine poll.

Stop posting before they knock UConn down 3 slots on this nonsense.

Why don’t you send CT tens of thousands of dollars a year to educate kids to work elsewhere if you care so much about a dumb ranking.
UConn should shut it's doors because there are no jobs for graduates. Solid plan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn should shut it's doors because there are no jobs for graduates. Solid plan.

I’ll just assume you hit your head this morning and are having some sort of episode.

The question is at what level of support does the state get the most benefit. It isn’t an argument between zero and unlimited.

If the state gets a 3:1 ROI if the school is ranked 40th and a 2.5:1 ROI if the school is ranked 15th... which level of required funding should they provide? Hypothetical - since your brain broke.

Reaction Score
I’ll just assume you hit your head this morning and are having some sort of episode.

The question is at what level of support does the state get the most benefit. It isn’t an argument between zero and unlimited.

If the state gets a 3:1 ROI if the school is ranked 40th and a 2.5:1 ROI if the school is ranked 15th... which level of required funding should they provide? Hypothetical - since your brain broke.
Schools want the best applicant pool possible, UConn used to be a regional public with a pretty weak applicant pool. It was more on the same footing with a school like URI. UConn is now lighyears ahead of URI in every respect and selects from a much greater applicant pool. The University choosing to lower it's standards because the state is a fiscal disaster and graduates choose to go where the jobs are is not the University's problem.

Pretty sure you're one of the only people who wants them going back to a mediocre safety school because of state gov't malfeasance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Schools want the best applicant pool possible, UConn used to be a regional public with a pretty weak applicant pool. It was more on the same footing with a school like URI. UConn is now lighyears ahead of URI in every respect and selects from a much greater applicant pool. The University choosing to lower it's standards because the state is a fiscal disaster and graduates choose to go where the jobs are is not the University's problem.

Pretty sure you're one of the only people who wants them going back to a mediocre safety school because of state gov't malfeasance.

Hopefully they don’t lose accredation over the stupidity you have posted today.

Why don’t you go lecture the 40+ other states that have been reducing higher ed funding?

By your idiotic logic the entire state budget should go to UConn and as long as they are as high on the list as possible that’s the best outcome for the state.

Let me know how many thousands you are sending this year since you care so much about US News and don’t care what your ROI is.

Reaction Score
Hopefully they don’t lose accredation over the stupidity you have posted today.

Why don’t you go lecture the 40+ other states that have been reducing higher ed funding?

By your idiotic logic the entire state budget should go to UConn and as long as they are as high on the list as possible that’s the best outcome for the state.

Let me know how many thousands you are sending this year since you care so much about US News and don’t care what your ROI is.
The insults really help your argument!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The insults really help your argument!

All you have done is post idiotic strawmen that don’t even remotely reflect what I’ve posted.

I’ve been kind with the insults I’ve chosen.

Reaction Score
All you have done is post idiotic strawmen that don’t even remotely reflect what I’ve posted.

I’ve been kind with the insults I’ve chosen.
Selectivity is important to Universities, UConn built itself up to a legit National University now and it's reflective in their much bigger and better applicant pool and a much more selective acceptance rate. They aren't going to all of a sudden go back to what they used to be.

You b^rching about paying taxes makes you sound like Rich, if you can't afford it move down to South Carolina and live with him.

Reaction Score
Taxing the middle class to the extent you encourage them to move out of CT seems like a great long-term strategy for the state. :rolleyes:

It totally helped us get rid of those evil corporations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How am I being a tough guy? I paid taxes in Connecticut at one time and got the hell out. I now pay taxes in another state that is run almost as poorly as Connecticut.

The only guy playing the tough guy act is you with all the insults. It's almost as pathetic as your big shot act. "They have a huge need to keep people like me here." I promise you, nobody buys that act.

So you once paid income tax in Connecticut so you forever get to tell us how to spend tax revenue. Solid logic there. I used to work in Vermont - I think I’ll let them know my opinion on how they should invest their state tax revenues later.

As for the second half of your post, I’m pretty sure it’s in the best interest of the state to keep people like me. I could move anywhere in the country tomorrow and take my job with me by sending one email.

But you know what’s best for Connecticut - lol. You should stick to your two claims of fame - not using microwaves and being a welch who got shizzled.

Reaction Score
So you once paid income tax in Connecticut so you forever get to tell us how to spend tax revenue. Solid logic there. I used to work in Vermont - I think I’ll let them know my opinion on how they should invest their state tax revenues later.

As for the second half of your post, I’m pretty sure it’s in the best interest of the state to keep people like me. I could move anywhere in the country tomorrow and take my job with me by sending one email.

But you know what’s best for Connecticut - lol. You should stick to your two claims of fame - not using microwaves and being a welch who got shizzled.
One email, bwahahaha.

Your biggest claim to fame is knowing Wall Street because you once hung out with some Wall Street guys at a Yankee game.

Oh yeah and taking a few hundred off of Shizzle playing poker in someones basement.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
On a related note, I remember that Herbst had an economic analysis performed in regards to UConn and it came out something to the tune of 3.4 billion dollars in economic benefit to the state of Connecticut (TrippUmbach consulting agency). I'm having a hard time finding the original report, but here is a reference to it from a DailyCampus article:

Study: UConn had $3.4 billion economic impact on Connecticut in 2014

Of course, those types of analyses are fraught with unrealistic assumptions and such. But I don't remember it getting much push back from UConn detractors or those in the legislature that seek to lower UConn funding, so it led me to believe that the study was mostly supported with good data. Take it for what it's worth...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One email, bwahahaha.

Your biggest claim to fame is knowing Wall Street because you once hung out with some Wall Street guys at a Yankee game.

Oh yeah and taking a few hundred off of Shizzle playing poker in someones basement.

Yeah one email. You continue to make a fool of yourself, keep up the good work.

Reaction Score
Great if you can sit thousands of miles away and aren’t paying taxes to educate people who aren’t from here and don’t stay here.

It’s prestige for the sake of prestige.

The University should serve the taxpayers who fund it - not the academics who want to opine on college rankings.
I'd admit a drooling grunting halfwit into Uconn if he could rain threes and feasted on rebounds like a man-beast.

Reaction Score
On a related note, I remember that Herbst had an economic analysis performed in regards to UConn and it came out something to the tune of 3.4 billion dollars in economic benefit to the state of Connecticut (TrippUmbach consulting agency). I'm having a hard time finding the original report, but here is a reference to it from a DailyCampus article:

Study: UConn had $3.4 billion economic impact on Connecticut in 2014

Of course, those types of analyses are fraught with unrealistic assumptions and such. But I don't remember it getting much push back from UConn detractors or those in the legislature that seek to lower UConn funding, so it led me to believe that the study was mostly supported with good data. Take it for what it's worth...

Not arguing with you, but if your goal is to decrease UConn's funding, you're probably better off just ignoring it and pretending it didn't exist (even if you're able to pick holes in it) than bringing it up to try and disprove it.

Reaction Score
Yeah one email. You continue to make a fool of yourself, keep up the good work.
The fact you would even want to repeat that just further illustrates what a joke you are.

Next you'll be screaming, "I drive a Dodge Stratus."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom