Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Our Fanbase Is Still Conflicted

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not arguing with you, but if your goal is to decrease UConn's funding, you're probably better off just ignoring it and pretending it didn't exist (even if you're able to pick holes in it) than bringing it up to try and disprove it.

First, I want to be clear that I'm not sure if the report is accurate or not, so I don't really have a strong position on whether the funding leads to increased economic output. But anyone who's been in CT for longer than a week knows that our legislature doesn't take the tact of "pretend it didn't exist" if they believe something to be untrue. Especially if you are trying to lower funding for it. I can't see someone like Fasano saying that we should just stay quiet and see what happens... ;)

Reaction Score
First, I want to be clear that I'm not sure if the report is accurate or not, so I don't really have a strong position on whether the funding leads to increased economic output. But anyone who's been in CT for longer than a week knows that our legislature doesn't take the tact of "pretend it didn't exist" if they believe something to be untrue. Especially if you are trying to lower funding for it. I can't see someone like Fasano saying that we should just stay quiet and see what happens... ;)
Well, that's not entirely true. Malloy pretended the republicans didn't exist until their numbers became sufficient enough to actually have an impact on the budget vote. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact you would even want to repeat that just further illustrates what a joke you are.

Next you'll be screaming, "I drive a Dodge Stratus."

Yea Garlic instead I should welch on wagers, declare I’m leaving the board until Ollie is gone and claim I’ve never eaten food from a microwave.

Wow my employer has a big work at home program and I report to someone 3k miles away whom I’ve never met that doesn’t care where I live.

Mindblowing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, that's not entirely true. Malloy pretended the republicans didn't exist until their numbers became sufficient enough to actually have an impact on the budget vote. ;)

Malloy went to BC. What do you want? :eek:

But seriously, when it comes to UConn funding, there are very few issues in CT that are more polarizing. Even folks who agree with heavily supporting higher education often get mad that UConn gets the vast majority of the funding, rather than CCSU or other entities. Silence in this case is more meaningful in my opinion than in other cases...

Reaction Score
Yea Garlic instead I should welch on wagers, declare I’m leaving the board until Ollie is gone and claim I’ve never eaten food from a microwave.

Wow my employer has a big work at home program and I report to someone 3k miles away whom I’ve never met that doesn’t care where I live.

Mindblowing.
Thank god you haven't sent that email, the state would never survive you and your Stratus leaving.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thank god you haven't sent that email, the state would never survive you and your Stratus leaving.

We survive each individual who leaves. The problem is the individuals add up.

You do realize the only way we survive long term is to screw the people promised pensions right?

Kudos to you for being so cavalier with the finances of a state you don’t live in! Cuz you care about a magazine’s opinion.

C

Chief00

I think the athletic department is more conflicted honestly. Large buyout that it can't afford without full donations from big boosters and it's especially tough seeing how he is a UConn guy fully brought in by JC. How does the basketball alum react to something like that? It's a messy situation that has to be dealt with somehow.

The bigger question strategically is how do the lawyer’s and leadership allow a buy out in a contract that the University can’t afford? A buyout may not be desirable but it should always be a feasiable fiscal option, if needed.
What happens if a buyout is not affordable is the employer will scrutinize the employee for behavior contrary to the code of conduct and most contracts have an exit clause there. When this happens it gets nasty and then negotiations is considered.
Unfortunately, this will likely be the route UConn has to take.

Reaction Score
Current D1 coaches to have won a title: Izzo, K, Williams, Calipari, Ollie, Wright, Self, Boeheim. So that's 8 out of 351.

Of course the fanbase is still conflicted. And I don't buy the "winning with Calhoun's guys" argument. Urban Meyer's first title at UF was with Ron Zook's guys. So what?
That is true, but the big difference is that Urban Meyer continued winning!

Reaction Score
They had a great win against Wichita, and are having a little bit better of a year. But prior to that, they were on a three game losing streak. Two of those games were to Temple and Tulane...

SMU is simailar to UConn and You’re still on the KO bandwagon...... any other geniuses thoughts to share?

Reaction Score
If we lost to Tulane, this board may have had a riot. Then if we followed that with a loss to 0-4 Temple to follow, it would have been mass hysteria.

This board doesn't matter to me anymore. I eagerly await the next thread about getting back onto an Ollie platform and then eagerly await the jumping off again of the platform two days later. I don't even participate in the game threads anymore because it is a free for all once we see the first missed shot. It gets tiring. And it sucks the fun right out of UConn sports...

Ollie sucked the fun out, not the fans.

Reaction Score
Im convinced were the weirdest team in the country. Great players, terrible play but for whatever reason some games they play good. Its Ollies fault but not 100% His players still need to put up on their end
Great Players? We have abosolutely below standard talent on this team . BB IQ's very low and skill level very down. We have one good player in Adams and still not NBA talent. Carlton and Gilbert show great potential but after that everyone else would be an 7th man on any of our good teams of the past. You get rid of the coach and it will be a long impossib;e recovery. As for Larrier , he is highly overrated and not a big time big moment guy. Unfortunately you have to play with what you got! I like class coming but again they are freshmen. No one is turning this program around immediayely with freshmen barely in top 100. Were not Kentucky and not Duke ,so please leave that example out!

Reaction Score
That is true, but the big difference is that Urban Meyer continued winning!

The other difference is that Urban Meyer had a record of success as a head coach at smaller programs (BGSU and Utah). We need a coach like that, although it's not obvious to me that we are going to be able to get a Calhoun-type rising star this time around, given the conference situation.

In the year before Calhoun came to UConn a Big East team had won the title, and in the year that he was hired not only did a Big East team win the title but there were three Big East teams in the FF. He knew that it was a great league and that UConn could be a great program in that league. Can a new coach honestly say that about the current conference situation?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Benedict has gone mostly dark over the last month. I suspect he is on his way to greener pastures soon.

Who could blame him if he is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom