OU Game Recap | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OU Game Recap

Reaction Score
It was almost the "perfect storm", Oklahoma was playing perfect ball but managed to only sustain it for 35 minutes...on flip side, UConn decided not to play "pretty ball", to steal a line from Vic.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OU played loose with nothing but a season making victory on the line.

"Even with the way the game turned out, Coale said her team matured.

"We all could feel how much more fun it is for sure, and how much effective it is, when you just play and don't fret," she said. "There was no fretting tonight and that's a big step for these guys. Big step for all of us."

Collier helps No. 1 UConn women rally past Oklahoma, 72-63

Reaction Score
I don’t know that I would say OU was playing perfect though they did get a few rolls on the rim. It was more disconcerting that they shredded our defense with some good passes/easy layups several times.

Reaction Score
It was almost the "perfect storm", Oklahoma was playing perfect ball but managed to only sustain it for 35 minutes...on flip side, UConn decided not to play "pretty ball", to steal a line from Vic.
Seemed like the perfect game for Geno to change things up with a zone. Our defense has been average at best for a UConn team throughout year. Would be interesting to see if he considered zone to stop the drives and hot outside shooting.

Reaction Score
The defense was awful., gave up 63 points and they only had 11 in the fourth quarter. I love our freshman
guard as she is awesome on offense but needs to greatly improve her defense. Last years team could have an
off night and still win by 20+ because of our shutdown D. Lots of time to improve for Ono and Williams to get it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't like admitting to being superstitious, but how can I not: UConn was up 8-2 when I turned the game on and then lost the lead within the next 90 seconds. I stopped watching at the 4Q media timeout when UConn still trailed 62-61.

Don't even try to convince me that my refusal to watch the last 4:20 of the game didn't directly result in Oklahoma's long scoring drought.
Agree. I turned it of at the beginning of the 4th quarter to make sure they won.

I also think the undefeated talk that went on around here the last few days also played a part. The basketball gods do not appreciate that. It was just a warning shot from them, but we need to be more careful.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seemed like the perfect game for Geno to change things up with a zone. Our defense has been average at best for a UConn team throughout year. Would be interesting to see if he considered zone to stop the drives and hot outside shooting.
They did play zone at the beginning of the game. Wasn't working real well either.

Reaction Score

Didnt they play zone early?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Missed the first half (seems that’s a good thing). With. OU being young and slower and shorter, why didn’t we press the heck out of them? In addition to creating possible turnovers, it also speeds the tempo which favors us against most teams, and certainly OU.
Don't think Geno thought we'd have the legs (or bodies) to do that. Looks like he was correct.

Reaction Score
This was a very good game for a number of reasons:
1. Uconn was pushed to the limit by OU playing way above their rating
2. Geno does not have to ask his brain: Does this group have the resolve to win?
3. CW was in a hostile/emotional environment and when she settled down she became CW.
4. The team found a way to win when the Big 3 couldn't buy a basket threw bad passes and that got into the teams mentality; out of sync.
5. OU for this one night was a very good team: they got the shots they wanted when they wanted, kept Uconn from doing any breakaways, led the number one team for most of 3 quarters. Their plan was to make life miserable for KLS and Phee, bump, push, pull, takedown slow the game down--and it worked for almost 35 minutes (almost almost). OU's Madi W is was more than the equal to CW, their 3 point shooter, outshot KLM (one game? She's that good) 5 underclassmen 3 of whom were frosh--give the Devil it's due, that was a good team that night.
6. The rust and lay off doldrums are now behind them --on to California.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don't think Geno thought we'd have the legs (or bodies) to do that. Looks like he was correct.
Coombs could’ve played a part in that scheme. I think he doesn’t like embarrassing. Sherri. One way or the other, we didn’t force the pace. That team wouldn’t handle full court pressure.

Reaction Score
It was just a lucky guess. Geno was searching for an answer most of the game; tried ONO, Irwin, then Coombs and talked directly to Molly during the game--the answers he needed were not IMMEDIATELY COMING. I think that was a great learning and teaching game for Uconn and for his kids. 40 minutes played by Phee, KlS, Danger--tired legs/body?? Sherri counted on that and a short bench, almost worked.

Reaction Score
This was a very good game for a number of reasons:
1. Uconn was pushed to the limit by OU playing way above their rating
2. Geno does not have to ask his brain: Does this group have the resolve to win?
3. CW was in a hostile/emotional environment and when she settled down she became CW.
4. The team found a way to win when the Big 3 couldn't buy a basket threw bad passes and that got into the teams mentality; out of sync.
5. OU for this one night was a very good team: they got the shots they wanted when they wanted, kept Uconn from doing any breakaways, lead the number one team for most of 3 quarters. Their plan was to make life miserable for KLS and Phee, bump, push, pull, takedown slow the game down--and it worked for almost 35 minutes (almost almost). OU's Madi W is was more than the equal to CW, their 3 point shooter, outshot KLM (one game? She's that good) 5 underclassmen 3 of whom were frosh--give the Devil it's due, that was a good team that night.
6. The rust and lay off doldrums are now behind them --on to California.
I disagree with #4. Maybe it applies to Crystal, but Collier had 23 and Lou had 20. Probably a lot of college basketball players out there that would love to have those stats on a good night. Long range shots weren't dropping, but 2 of the Big 3 still put up 20+ each.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game, but looking a the box score this AM I thought I was looking at UTenn stats. Only 10 assists with 12 turnovers, 12% three point shooting and 46 rebounds.

Reaction Score
I disagree with #4. Maybe it applies to Crystal, but Collier had 23 and Lou had 20. Probably a lot of college basketball players out there that would love to have those stats on a good night. Long range shots weren't dropping, but 2 of the Big 3 still put up 20+ each.
Those stats came late in the 3rd then 4th quarter when OU was sucking air.
Disagreement is good. You see banana's I see apples. When Uconn began it's comeback it was CW that made the big plays. Guaranteed: There is not another player in the country like Napheesa. For what ever reason KLS couldn't buy a shot until the 4th quarter when her NORMAL 3 started dropping. Did you notice --in the 2nd/3rd quarter KLS, Danger, Walkers' 3's were on target but only slightly off, shots that normally are made
Was that Ou defense, rims, tired legs, mental tiredness or OU??

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game, but looking a the box score this AM I thought I was looking at UTenn stats. Only 10 assists with 12 turnovers, 12% three point shooting and 46 rebounds.
Ou is a terrible team, what does that say about Uconn? (kiddin)

Reaction Score
Those stats came late in the 3rd then 4th quarter when OU was sucking air.
Disagreement is good. You see banana's I see apples. When Uconn began it's comeback it was CW that made the big plays. Guaranteed: There is not another player in the country like Napheesa. For what ever reason KLS couldn't buy a shot until the 4th quarter when her NORMAL 3 started dropping. Did you notice --in the 2nd/3rd quarter KLS, Danger, Walkers' 3's were on target but only slightly off, shots that normally are made
Was that Ou defense, rims, tired legs, mental tiredness or OU??
I thought the players forgot their contact lenses because every shot from every player was so off that you knew as soon as it left their hands there was no chance it was going in.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno wanted to get Megan back in game shape. It had nothing to do with ONO.
ONO with 2 fouls in her 4 minutes of game time against a team with NO height had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
what I observed is that strong group of Freshman on OU played so well to keep UConn on it's heals for 35 minutes. Do you think that the UConn bench who were recruited to an elite program for their skills and strengths could do that? If they could not do that, then there is something seriously wrong with the recruiting picture. If the UConn bench could not play the OU team even or beat them, then you come to your own conclusions.

I personally admire the tenacity of the young OU team and the way they could dig down and deliver against the "superior"opponent and neutralize them for 35 minutes. They played fast and furious and defused the outside UConn game. They were there on both offensive and defensive rebounding. In a few years, Sherrie may have herself, a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I personally admire the tenacity of the young OU team and the way they could dig down and deliver against the "superior"opponent and neutralize them for 35 minutes. They played fast and furious and defused the outside UConn game. They were there on both offensive and defensive rebounding. In a few years, Sherrie may have herself, a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12.
I don't think missing a dozen or so wide open outside shots can be described as defusing, just means that OU could have lost by over 20 if 3/4 of the misses did go in, as is the norm for us.
But OU played great for 34 minutes and hopefully they can carry this forward and surprise a few BIG12 opponents.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Re watching the game we played street ball. We were not patient we did not have poise until the final 7 minutes when we began to start to look like the UConn team we know. To many ill advised shots and forced shots. Assists were way down. You can blame it on the long layoff and remember we will have a long lay off before we play Baylor which is a team without a point guard and not to many great ball handlers but alot of height. As poorly as we played and I dont think we could play must worse we one against a team we shouldve beaten fairly easily. We managed to pull it out and thats good and now back to practice and regaining our edge. I hope the Cal game is televised on a station we can all watch. With all the monies UConn WCBB brings into the state somebody needs to make sure we can watch it here. We paid alot of money as fans over the years and IMO we've earned it. Gov Malloy and Lamont do something??????????

Reaction Score
The OP has asked us not to label the Sooners a good team. I demur. They are a good team, and last night they were a very good team. A 3-6 (now 3-7) team made up of talented and eager Freshmen and Sophs is not the same as a veteran team with a similar record. On an uncharacteristic off-night for the Huskies, the young Sooners played great, especially on defense. Fans of the sport should admire them...they’ve got a few great seasons coming up...I’ll be pulling for them and watching with interest!

Reaction Score
Re watching the game we played street ball. We were not patient we did not have poise until the final 7 minutes when we began to start to look like the UConn team we know. To many ill advised shots and forced shots. Assists were way down. You can blame it on the long layoff and remember we will have a long lay off before we play Baylor which is a team without a point guard and not to many great ball handlers but alot of height. As poorly as we played and I dont think we could play must worse we one against a team we shouldve beaten fairly easily. We managed to pull it out and thats good and now back to practice and regaining our edge. I hope the Cal game is televised on a station we can all watch. With all the monies UConn WCBB brings into the state somebody needs to make sure we can watch it here. We paid alot of money as fans over the years and IMO we've earned it. Gov Malloy and Lamont do something??????????

Pssst Tony, don't know how to break this to you but unless you get the PAC12 Network you won't be able to watch this upcoming game with Cal. Just wanted to let you know so you can prepare for it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Pssst Tony, don't know how to break this to you but unless you get the PAC12 Network you won't be able to watch this upcoming game with Cal. Just wanted to let you know so you can prepare for it. :rolleyes:
Pac12 isn't even offered here. Guess I won't have to worry about missing the game on Saturday, since it's not possible to watch it outside of the west coast.

Reaction Score
I signed up with FUBO TV, painless, 7 day free trial. I will cancel Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom