OU Game Recap | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OU Game Recap

Reaction Score
Exactly. A higher variance team. Which suggests predicting an undefeated season may not be wise.
I might equate it to the way the 2016-17 team played. Look at the first few games and then the stretch of games around the Tulane game they narrowly won. Hopefully UConn gets those rough games out during the regular season rather than during the NCAA tournament.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for Collier. Samuelson and Dangerfield couldn’t buy a 3 if they were free. On the plus side, if going 2-17 from beyond the arc is UConn’s biggest weakness, I think I can live with that. It was a poor shooting night and if UConn made its usual % this is just another blowout.
It wasn't just poor 3-point shooting; it was also numerous missed layups and careless turnovers. Maybe it can be attributed to the long layoff. That will become more plausible if they play much better against Cal on Saturday.

But if this is the effect of a long layoff, we must bear in mind that there will be another 12-day layoff between the Cal and Baylor games. It won't be a recoverable situation if they play three quarters like tonight against Baylor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams had a bad start, but kept us in the game until NC and KLS finished them off.

I just do not get why CW defers so much. I don't think she made one offensive move in the 1st half. :confused:

Reaction Score
I almost wish this game came down to one final shot so we could see who Geno goes with. Would he go with one of the seniors (KLS, Pheesa), his brilliant point guard (CD), his gutsy freshman (CW), the 180 (MW), of has Kyla been playing well enough in practice to get the go ahead :D?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks this game was good for this team to go through? a little adversity never hurt anyone. Need to prepare for the tournament.
I agree. Though I am happy UConn won, a loss here might’ve changed how everyone (including UConn) viewed UConn. Could’ve given them a little chip to play with, too.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks this game was good for this team to go through? a little adversity never hurt anyone. Need to prepare for the tournament.

If nothing else it keeps the stupid talking heads from throwing out the usual "UCONN hasn't been tested so far". :p (Peck in particular always loved to say that).

Reaction Score
It sure was a "different" game.:eek: Should provide a nice "teaching moment" and reminder that IT AINT EASY. I think I chewed most of my finger nails down to nearly nothing. BUT...in the end, UCONN prevailed!!! :) It was not pretty. Shooting was off SIGNIFICANTLY, and just "ball handling" was poor for much of the game. BUT... UCONN came out on top. :cool: Pheesa and Lou both had 20 or more points and double digit rebounds.... Senior Leadership at it's finest when needed most. :cool::) Love those two!!!!

I tried something new today...had 3 pages open on my computer, (1) FS1 to watch the game, (2) ESPNW to follow the game's box score and (3) the BY Chat Room to see what people were saying. I had to leave the Chat Room because of the tone of many of the comments directed at players, coaches, etc.... and from UCONN FANS...:eek::mad::confused:

Reaction Score
I almost wish this game came down to one final shot so we could see who Geno goes with. Would he go with one of the seniors (KLS, Pheesa), his brilliant point guard (CD), his gutsy freshman (CW), the 180 (MW), of has Kyla been playing well enough in practice to get the go ahead :)D)?
I'd hope it would have went to the player that was dominant the entire 4th quarter. I don't even have to name her, it was so clear.

Reaction Score
The defining moment of the game for me was in the 1st quarter. The OU guard lost control and was about to double dribble. She realized her problem and resisted touching the ball for fear of a call. Two UConn players where within arms reach of a loose ball, but did not identify the situation and just stood there. You knew then, that UConn was "out of sorts".

Reaction Score
so proud of the way we pushed through tonight. We had one of the worst shooting nights I have ever seen us have and yet we found a way to pull it out with only guts.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn’t he have played Kyla then? It wasn’t like Megan was playing well, and Kyla was decent in the 2 games she missed.
She played a few mins. Must not have liked what he saw.
MW did get 7 rebs. And if the gameplan was to help off MW to clog the middle, it would've been even easier to help off Kyla.

Reaction Score
At 3-6, no one please claim that the Sooners are a good team. No question they played great this game, and the young squad may be starting to jell. But still, this was not a good game.

Defense was not good. Shooting was not great. And a lot of mistakes. A lot.

For a while UConn had success with running out on the break. You can be sure that tough opponents will not allow that to happen.

On the plus side,
Pheesa and KLS absolutely took over the game. Monsters. It's sorta amazing that Napheesa doesn't score 50 every game.

And I like that the team had to play from behind all game. It's good to have experienced that, so if it happens again down the road, they will know they can come back. That's the big positive takeaway for me.

Thanks Sherry Coale, for slowing down the game enough so we could crawl back in it. Coaching wins.

Reaction Score
This game is an example of the any given day principle. Catch a better team on an off day when your having a good game and the potential for an upset is raised significantly. The closer the level of the teams are the greater the chance for an upset. Uconn was fortunate they were not playing a better team today. Of course playing a better team, their effort might have then been better.

This does portend that Uconn might not have the bad game wiggle room this season that they have had in the past.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was a pretty, god-awful game from a UConn standpoint.
I had a 9 o'clock appointment for the top of the show on a news channel so I missed the end of the first half and the beginning of the 2nd.

During the time I watched, there were no subs, the starting 5 was on the floor the entire time...I don't think they can win a Natty with such a pattern...(I understand that Olivia, Irwin and Coombs got a few minutes, but had little impact).

What was most disquieting was that their Freshman and Sophmores
were more posed than (even) our seniors for much of the game and it wasn't so much our brilliance, but their dissolution of poise that swung the game in our favor.

Reaction Score
ONO had 0 pts/reb/asst but 1 TO and 2 fouls. That stat line is not gonna get you playing time.
I didn’t say she deserved more time. I just said it was disappointing for me that at this point in the season Geno didn’t have confidence that she could contribute in a meaningful way.

Reaction Score
She played a few mins. Must not have liked what he saw.
MW did get 7 rebs. And if the gameplan was to help off MW to clog the middle, it would've been even easier to help off Kyla.
Why? Meg missed almost everything she tried. Geno knows she needs to get her game, and game legs back.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
This was kind of a perfect storm, wasn't it? OK's Robertson shooting lights out. KLS can't hit from long range; Megan still getting her sea legs after strep. One of the FS1 commentators mentioned that Geno had some concerns about Crystal's finishing which seems to have been borne out tonight. But Pheesa was, for the most part, her usual self, CW gave the offense a kick in the pants in the second half, Lou did some damage under the basket and rebounded well, and UConn snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in the last five minutes. UConn Women's Bball has been known to fold at the end of tight games, but not this time. This was like the final exam of the semester, and they passed!

Reaction Score
The announcer was bugging me too. New drinking game. Re-watch it and every time he says “against the number one team in the country,” take a drink. It was uncanny how many times he said it. Had to be at least 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom