OU Game Recap | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OU Game Recap

Reaction Score
I can't remember how Geno behaved during a similar game a few years ago against Tulane, but in this game he did not get angry or upset with the players pretty much the whole game. I guess he just knew that eventually a few shots would fall and the OU young players would finally break down. A few anxious moments there to say the least.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I think this is the team we thought we had before the ND game (three solid players and two unproven ones), which is why so many on this board voted that the ND game would be a loss for UConn. I cut Megan some slack since she's coming back from illness, but she did have 7 rebounds and Cristyn came around in the second half. The upcoming game against California could be a nail biter. By the end of the season we may have the team we thought we had after they beat ND. The potential is there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't like admitting to being superstitious, but how can I not: UConn was up 8-2 when I turned the game on and then lost the lead within the next 90 seconds. I stopped watching at the 4Q media timeout when UConn still trailed 62-61.

Don't even try to convince me that my refusal to watch the last 4:20 of the game didn't directly result in Oklahoma's long scoring drought.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It wasn't just poor 3-point shooting; it was also numerous missed layups and careless turnovers. Maybe it can be attributed to the long layoff. That will become more plausible if they play much better against Cal on Saturday.

But if this is the effect of a long layoff, we must bear in mind that there will be another 12-day layoff between the Cal and Baylor games. It won't be a recoverable situation if they play three quarters like tonight against Baylor.

And Baylor has a cupcake scrimmage game against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley 3 days before UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't like admitting to being superstitious, but how can I not: UConn was up 8-2 when I turned the game on and then lost the lead within the next 90 seconds. I stopped watching at the 4Q media timeout in 3Q when UConn still trailed 62-61.

Don't even try to convince me that my refusal to watch the last 4:20 of the game didn't directly result in Oklahoma's long scoring drought.

So do us all a favor and never tune into any future games. ;)

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't win without Napheesa Collier, MVP for UCONN tonight, and, likely MVP for the entire season. That young lady never stops hustling, and, is extremely talented & efficient. I don't know how many times she saved a loose ball, got a key rebound, and always plays excellent defense. She is special, and, UCONN will need to not have a game like that against a more experienced team, or, my vote for only one team going undefeated before NCAA Tournament will be in jeopardy.

Reaction Score
And Baylor has a cupcake scrimmage game against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley 3 days before UConn.
I was wondering what Oklahoma did before this game tonight. Kept hearing how UConn had finals, but does Oklahoma not have them, or are finals just a UConn thing? I've never liked the long lay offs. I'd almost rather compress the season a bit to eliminate them. Maybe start the season around Thanksgiving instead, and then get into the steady rhythm of games every Wednesday and Saturday with shorter breaks around finals week and Christmas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was wondering what Oklahoma did before this game tonight. Kept hearing how UConn had finals, but does Oklahoma not have them, or are finals just a UConn thing? I've never liked the long lay offs. I'd almost rather compress the season a bit to eliminate them. Maybe start the season around Thanksgiving instead, and then get into the steady rhythm of games every Wednesday and Saturday with shorter breaks around finals week and Christmas.

OU's break was similar to UConn

1545279507017.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? These are STUDENT Athetes Not ATHLETES who sometime are students. They need time to study like all students for finals. And Christmas is a family thing so the athletes can see their families at some point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was just such a bizarre, twilight-zone kind of game. Oklahoma has had not a bad, but an AWFUL year so far. They lost to South Florida by 17, UAB by 5, Clemson by 12, New Mexico by 4, and Auburn by 16. How UConn could have found itself in such dire straits with such a team is beyond me. There were long stretches in the game when UConn couldn't hit the ocean from a boat and couldn't defend a lawn gnome.

How to reconcile the team that trailed Oklahoma by 12 in the 3rd quarter with the team that beat ND by double digits. We have some high deviation from the mean...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Coming off break Geno expected them to not play well and they didnt but they found a way to win thats what winners do they find a way to win when they play poorly. Now we go to Cal. Lets see what happens. Remember then its Christmas Break and they all go home and then Baylor after another break on Jan 3.

Tonites game was ugly and UConn found a way to win. Thats a good sign.

Reaction Score
Holy Crap!! That was not pretty. Game that I am sure I was not the only one worried about. I did not look at the Sooners 3-6 record going in. I figured coach Coale, despite that record, would have her team fired up and ready to challenge our beloved Huskies. They did not disappoint. They were ready.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The knock against UConn is they can't handle adversity. Well this team managed it in the middle of brick laying festival. This game will pay dividends come March.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Missed the first half (seems that’s a good thing). With. OU being young and slower and shorter, why didn’t we press the heck out of them? In addition to creating possible turnovers, it also speeds the tempo which favors us against most teams, and certainly OU.

Reaction Score
Tonight was reminiscent of the 2010 final in San Antonio, in which UConn could barely find the basket early and trailed Stanford by 8 at halftime. Then the Huskies rallied and won by 6. We staggered out of the arena, all asweat but smiling.

Reaction Score
I wasn't upset about the poor three-point shooting, but was upset about the lack of rebounding (until late). If you're missing three-pointers, you have to crash the boards. The ballhandling was sloppy too, and I don't know how many layups they missed.

Reaction Score
I wish this was the team that showed up against ND and I wish the ND that has played in their last two games would’ve shown up against UCONN. Oh well will see what happens the rest of the season and in the NCAA Tourny. Every Team has down games You just hope it’s against an opponent where You can still win the game. Anyone would be foolish to make a big deal out of UCONNs performance today.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are there pro-game press conference videos of the coaches/players... I dont not care to go thru tons of post looking, help a brother out!

Reaction Score
That was fun.
I agree. Loved that Geno stuck with Megan Walker through her sloppy play. She's a valuable cog and hopefully grew, along with the rest of the team, by overcoming the deficit and holding on to win. A great learning experience all around.

Geno was a different presence last night as compared to close games in the past. He was much more calm and even seemed - dare I say? - amused as the team struggled, knowing what a teaching moment and a learning experience it was.

Kudos to Coach Coates. Kudos to her team.

I like every UConn WCBB team but I'm finding this group to be especially endearing. They're SO talented all around, we knew that. Now we know they can be embarrassed and still recover in time to win. They have a spine.

Reaction Score
When UConn does not create live-ball turnovers, they struggle, because, at times (a lot), the half court offense is non-existent. Evident last night and against St John's.

I also agree with the people that pointed out lack of rebounding, especially in the first half. It was like UConn was afraid of OU's fast break. In the 4th Qrt, I think the announcer said that UConn had out rebounded OU something like 15-3. If this would have happened throughout the game, it would not have been close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When UConn does not create live-ball turnovers, they struggle, because, at times (a lot), the half court offense is non-existent. Evident last night and against St John's.

I also agree with the people that pointed out lack of rebounding, especially in the first half. It was like UConn was afraid of OU's fast break. In the 4th Qrt, I think the announcer said that UConn had out rebounded OU something like 15-3. If this would have happened throughout the game, it would not have been close.

I do think (at least in the back of their minds) that they can't always go the boards as aggressively as they want because of the fear of foul trouble. By 4Q, foul issues never materialized and they just went after it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom