OTish Cults in Connecticut | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OTish Cults in Connecticut

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Towns are a cult here. I’ve lived in 5 of the six New England states and nowhere is your town a bigger cult than Connecticut. I was in Spain one time and a local on a tour asked where people were from and a woman from Connecticut answered West Hartford, as if a Parisian should know where or what the hell that was. Not West Hartford Connecticut. Just West Hartford.

Of course West Hartford is its own cult.
I usually say “near Hartford” (I’m in Manchester) when people from out of state ask where in CT I live but you bet your balls when I lived in Glastonbury I made sure everyone knew it lol.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Certainly not a cult, but I always find it amusing that old guys say "New York Football Giants". Ummm, the baseball ones have been in California for 60 years now. I think the need to clarify has long since passed.

My dopey brother in law who is like 38 says it all the time. Dumb.

Reaction Score
Are you in Clearwater? I spent a lot of time there in college and now I hear the area is overrun with Scientologists.

I'm down in Lake Mary right now and last night people were talking about it. Said the area was "70%" scientologists. So odd.

Reaction Score
I'm down in Lake Mary right now and last night people were talking about it. Said the area was "70%" scientologists. So odd.
Yes and I heard that they own a ton of commercial and residential property. Strange.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I usually say “near Hartford” (I’m in Manchester) when people from out of state ask where in CT I live but you bet your balls when I lived in Glastonbury I made sure everyone knew it lol.

I’m the opposite. Grew up in Hebron and have lived in glastonbury for a year now...I’m always sort of embarrassed to say I live there

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not just Connecticut but the whole DoNo, WeHa, thingy is annoying.

Not as annoying as Pennsylvanians referring to themselves as being from P-A, but annoying nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Im confused. This isnt a thread about a recent BOC gig

Reaction Score
This Hartford Whalers worship to the point that every franchise after in different sports leave having green and blue as colors is pathetic. I say that as someone who has had Hartford Whalers memorabilia in the past.

Used to be the richest city in the country and one of the oldest Euro settlements in North America and green and blue is the best the leadership can do to "celebrate" Hartford.

What the heck. Hartford does not have a history of being a port city....

Reaction Score
Certainly not a cult, but I always find it amusing that old guys say "New York Football Giants". Ummm, the baseball ones have been in California for 60 years now. I think the need to clarify has long since passed.

It was even funnier when Jason Garrett tried to make "Dallas Football Cowboys" a thing.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It was even funnier when Jason Garrett tried to make "Dallas Football Cowboys" a thing.
As opposed to the Calgary Stampede cowboys, the Texas cattle ranch cowboys, etc. Makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
I’m the opposite. Grew up in Hebron and have lived in glastonbury for a year now...I’m always sort of embarrassed to say I live there

I tell people I grew up "near Hartford" to avoid telling them I'm from Glastonbury.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I tell people I grew up "near Hartford" to avoid telling them I'm from Glastonbury.

Yeah I hear ya man. I just don’t like the assumptions that come with it lol. I live there because I live in my grandparents old house, and they were there in the 50s and 60s when Glastonbury was just a farm town. It’s definitely a pretty town, but weird place culturally

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My God, how old are you? Cheapest I remember is $.99 at the Bing Theatre is Springfield. On Saturdays this got you a couple movies, and a few shorts.

I lived 50' from their front door. At that time, I can think of three neighborhood theaters within a mile of where I lived. All small, but every seat was filled.

The place in West Springfield with a dozen screens put them all out of business. My parents would have robbed a liquor store to get the money to get rid of me for a few hours, but the drive to West Springfield wasn't going to happen.

That was the end of my childhood. Well, that ... and the girl across the street.

My first games at the Field House featured Ed Slomcenski & Toby Kimball. A Facebook "You Know You Grew Up in West Hartford..." page fully confirms my 35¢ movie cost memory.

Next month, I get to start moving forward with my Medicare application. Not sure how I got from point A to point B.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My first games at the Field House featured Ed Slomcenski & Toby Kimball. A Facebook "You Know You Grew Up in West Hartford..." page fully confirms my 35¢ movie cost memory.

Next month, I get to start moving forward with my Medicare application. Not sure how I got from point A to point B.

Did you take the trolley into Hartford to go clothes shopping?

Reaction Score
Nope, long gone, but I remember clothes being delivered to the house directly from G. Fox after they were hemmed.

Amazing that a thread started because of a youth twitter trend has ended up here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Amazing that a thread started because of a youth twitter trend has ended up here.

Whether we long to admit it or not, this whole place is nothing more than a bunch of (mostly) guys who like the same college team, shooting the . It's the water cooler, pub, town hall of a digital age. We argue, (stupidly in the case of the Cesspool) and bicker, and share memories and common experiences, likes and dislikes. We mourn those that are lost at times. It's really quite fascinating. I think you'd call it a community. And, despite some obvious warts, it's a pretty good one.

So I'm never really surprised when these threads stray onto topics that reflect our shared experiences. More than UConn basketball connects most of us.

Reaction Score
Whether we long to admit it or not, this whole place is nothing more than a bunch of (mostly) guys who like the same college team, shooting the . It's the water cooler, pub, town hall of a digital age. We argue, (stupidly in the case of the Cesspool) and bicker, and share memories and common experiences, likes and dislikes. We mourn those that are lost at times. It's really quite fascinating. I think you'd call it a community. And, despite some obvious warts, it's a pretty good one.

So I'm never really surprised when these threads stray onto topics that reflect our shared experiences. More than UConn basketball connects most of us.

I didn't mean it as a bad thing!

It's just interesting...for the reasons you stated above :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom