• Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support The Boneyard. (Dismiss this notice by clicking the x at the top right of the box)

OTish Cults in Connecticut

Depends on what your definition of a cult is but we got a real one down here called Scientology. I will probably get sued by them for slander because of this post!
Are you in Clearwater? I spent a lot of time there in college and now I hear the area is overrun with Scientologists.

When I first moved to Ct I lived in Cromwell. I asked my landlord about shopping of some sort and she gave me a local place that didn’t have what I needed. I asked if there was anyplace in Middletown and was told “I don’t like to go to the City. Too many crazy drivers.” People from other towns nearby said similar things. Middletown. The City. Sort of boggles the mind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

Forgot to answer a question
Towns are a cult here. I’ve lived in 5 of the six New England states and nowhere is your town a bigger cult than Connecticut. I was in Spain one time and a local on a tour asked where people were from and a woman from Connecticut answered West Hartford, as if a Parisian should know where or what the hell that was. Not West Hartford Connecticut. Just West Hartford.

Of course West Hartford is its own cult.
I usually say “near Hartford” (I’m in Manchester) when people from out of state ask where in CT I live but you bet your balls when I lived in Glastonbury I made sure everyone knew it lol.

August_West

Red Panda HATES Orange
Certainly not a cult, but I always find it amusing that old guys say "New York Football Giants". Ummm, the baseball ones have been in California for 60 years now. I think the need to clarify has long since passed.
My dopey brother in law who is like 38 says it all the time. Dumb.

Are you in Clearwater? I spent a lot of time there in college and now I hear the area is overrun with Scientologists.
I'm down in Lake Mary right now and last night people were talking about it. Said the area was "70%" scientologists. So odd.

I usually say “near Hartford” (I’m in Manchester) when people from out of state ask where in CT I live but you bet your balls when I lived in Glastonbury I made sure everyone knew it lol.
I’m the opposite. Grew up in Hebron and have lived in glastonbury for a year now...I’m always sort of embarrassed to say I live there

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Not just Connecticut but the whole DoNo, WeHa, thingy is annoying.

Not as annoying as Pennsylvanians referring to themselves as being from P-A, but annoying nonetheless.

Butch

Go Bulldogs!
This Hartford Whalers worship to the point that every franchise after in different sports leave having green and blue as colors is pathetic. I say that as someone who has had Hartford Whalers memorabilia in the past.

Used to be the richest city in the country and one of the oldest Euro settlements in North America and green and blue is the best the leadership can do to "celebrate" Hartford.

What the heck. Hartford does not have a history of being a port city....

Certainly not a cult, but I always find it amusing that old guys say "New York Football Giants". Ummm, the baseball ones have been in California for 60 years now. I think the need to clarify has long since passed.
It was even funnier when Jason Garrett tried to make "Dallas Football Cowboys" a thing.

I tell people I grew up "near Hartford" to avoid telling them I'm from Glastonbury.
Yeah I hear ya man. I just don’t like the assumptions that come with it lol. I live there because I live in my grandparents old house, and they were there in the 50s and 60s when Glastonbury was just a farm town. It’s definitely a pretty town, but weird place culturally

Hans Sprungfeld

Too spicy for the Cesspool
My God, how old are you? Cheapest I remember is $.99 at the Bing Theatre is Springfield. On Saturdays this got you a couple movies, and a few shorts.

I lived 50' from their front door. At that time, I can think of three neighborhood theaters within a mile of where I lived. All small, but every seat was filled.

The place in West Springfield with a dozen screens put them all out of business. My parents would have robbed a liquor store to get the money to get rid of me for a few hours, but the drive to West Springfield wasn't going to happen.

That was the end of my childhood. Well, that ... and the girl across the street.
My first games at the Field House featured Ed Slomcenski & Toby Kimball. A Facebook "You Know You Grew Up in West Hartford..." page fully confirms my 35¢ movie cost memory.

Next month, I get to start moving forward with my Medicare application. Not sure how I got from point A to point B.

Last edited:
My first games at the Field House featured Ed Slomcenski & Toby Kimball. A Facebook "You Know You Grew Up in West Hartford..." page fully confirms my 35¢ movie cost memory.

Next month, I get to start moving forward with my Medicare application. Not sure how I got from point A to point B.
Did you take the trolley into Hartford to go clothes shopping?