OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To expand that is a stick it in and get a reading thermometer for direct use in meats. It's not a remote . Stick , read , take out.

For slow cooking and smoking is when I use remotes. Because you don't want to open up the cookers. And I have a pair . one sits in the meat measuring temp and one sits on the cooking area measuring temp of smoker.
Different kind of deal.

Thermapen perfect for your needs.
What do you use for a remote? The ones I use with my smoker have been woefully inaccurate after five uses or so. I end up pulling and checking which is a big no no.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people need remotes. I use a digital thermometer with a probe for smoking pork shoulders and brisket. If you set the temp alarm to the temp you want it beeps when it hits the number. If you are so busy you can't check your pork shoulder or brisket once in a while to see if you are near temp you shouldn't be smoking food anyway. If your house is so big that you can't hear a temp alarm going off then you can afford to hire a meat butler to check your meat for you. Remotes are technology so people think they are sexy. They're garbage. A corded probe is more accurate most of the time and less prone to failure. At least in my opinion.
More on topic, I like Boars Head beef hot dogs or Hebrew Nationals.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hummel, Rosol's... Griddled or grilled... Ketchup and mustard... Top split toasted bun.

Reaction Score
Yes but then someone mentioned Mayo smh

Christ my father puts mayo on dogs and fries. He attributes it to his time living in Brussels, I told him he should have left that rubbish ovet there.

Horrible

Reaction Score
Anyone have any of the dogs in North Jersey? Everyone has heard about Rutt's Hut but Hiram's in Fort Lee is where it's at.

Reaction Score
I will also put a vote in for Famous Lunch in Troy, NY or Gus's Hot Dog's in Watervliet, NY if I'm north of NYC
Them and the Newest Lunch in Schenectady.

But my favorite is getting some michigans in the Adirondacks, Claire and Carls in Plattsburg is great

Reaction Score
Them and the Newest Lunch in Schenectady.

But my favorite is getting some michigans in the Adirondacks, Claire and Carls in Plattsburg is great

Mike's First Prize in Schenectady is pretty good. There used to be a guy in a truck off of Exit 30 of the Northway that had some good Michigans.

I'll have to try Claire & Carl's - thanks for that tip

Reaction Score
Two things I miss most about CT. Grinders and Hotdogs. Hummel, Muckes and any of the other local brands. There isn't a single decent hotdog that you can get in Minneapolis. What I wouldn't give for the snap of a Grote and Wiegle. (I heard they closed?) last time I went back home I filled a cooler with local franks and kielbasa.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don't know it. Will investigate and report back, but it may be a while. Appearances to the contrary, I don't eat many hot dogs. Maybe like three or four a year. I love them, but I have enough calorie-packed vices and it's getting harder and harder to metabolize them all.
Had a nice hot dog from friendly folks when Jordan's was new opened and not yet on State St. Also a friendly & tasty experience at Jake's on Crown, but I stopped at both because I'm local and don' t have a hankering. Super Duper Weenie man is a legitimate out-of-town step-by-step a couple times a year.

Reaction Score
Glenwood and Blackies. Guida's on the Meriden/Middlefield line of the old 66 was always good, not sure about these days. Whenever I played a baseball game at Palmer Field, whether it was legion or as I got older and it was the Greater Hartford Twilight league vs Malloves, if Guida's was open 2 long dogs and fry were leaving the take out line.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What do you use for a remote? The ones I use with my smoker have been woefully inaccurate after five uses or so. I end up pulling and checking which is a big no no.

This. It's beautiful because it's 2 probes in one . One for the meat, one for the surface area of the grill/smoker. ( getting an accurate reading of the true temp of the cooking area of the smoker is the single most important aspect of smoking)

August_West

Reaction Score
I also got this for Xmas and will be putting it to use quite a bit... Geeky overkill? Sure. But better than peeking.

http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/igrill2/
Really want that. I've used the maverick above for years and it's great, so I can't justify buying that , but I will accept one as a gift.
I don't know why people need remotes. I use a digital thermometer with a probe for smoking pork shoulders and brisket. If you set the temp alarm to the temp you want it beeps when it hits the number. If you are so busy you can't check your pork shoulder or brisket once in a while to see if you are near temp you shouldn't be smoking food anyway. If your house is so big that you can't hear a temp alarm going off then you can afford to hire a meat butler to check your meat for you. Remotes are technology so people think they are sexy. They're garbage. A corded probe is more accurate most of the time and less prone to failure. At least in my opinion.
More on topic, I like Boars Head beef hot dogs or Hebrew Nationals.

A young padawan. You are missing the point. Good remote thermometers ARE digital thermometers with a probe. You can check them at grill side direct connect too without a remote. But the grill side display also transmits to a remote at times you are not grill side. There is no loss of accuracy. It's not about having a big house or hearing an alarm or anything like that. I'm a fanatic about checking smoker surface temp. When I'm doing a 14 hour packer brisket checking that surface temp amounts to 100s of times . It's nice not having to go grill side for each check.

Reaction Score
Noack's of Meriden, natural casing dog. Grilled over medium heat till the first pop of the casing. Bun lightly grilled/toasted. Whole grain mustard, chopped Vidalia, and kraut sautéed with black pepper.

Agree with Noack"s. Always try to find a local German or Polish butcher to source, don"t like the national brands because for me the dog has to have pork in it. No all beef don"t like the flavor or texture. Blend of beef and pork okay but there has to be swine in it for me.

Grilled or boiled
spicy mustard
onions
kraut
never cheese unless chili and cheese
never ketchup.

Liked Jimmy"s Savin Rock, Glenwood and Lenny"s Dog House in Shelton back in the day. Is Lenny"s still open?

August_West

Reaction Score
Excellent thread so far. Good recs. Some places I was unaware of.

shes enjoying it too:
jE669RH.gif

Reaction Score
Indeed. You using a good thermometer I hope?

Over the indirect (225 deg) I go 97 degrees, flip it.... hit 116 Degrees and then sear on hopefully close to 1000 degree short time per side. Perfect every time. I haven ruined a steak in years.

This is getting into a general grilling thread but Its OK its off season.

Another Pet Peeve. I dont know how anyone grills without a thermometer! It enables you to be spot on perfect every time. I see people (and even my family members dont because they just think Im a who doesnt know what hes talking about....they are kind of tlike the 'Yard in that way) with great, expensive grill set ups, buying good meats to cook and the then promptly things up that would have been dead simple with a thermometer.
And dont skimp on thermometers. People spends 100's even thousands on great grills and smokers and then buy a 4.99 thermometer from the supermarket IF they have anything at all.
For less than 100 bucks you can have BOTH a remote setup for a leave in thermometer for smoking brisket and pork shoulder and what not, AND a ThermaPen for Steaks and Chicken etc...
You will be hailed as a grilling genius when really your only secret is that you know how to jab a thermometer into a piece of meat.
People need to try this, it cooks the meat more evenly. Thermometer is the best tool in the kitchen.

Reaction Score
For me, there's Mucke's and everything else.

Southeast CT is a wasteland for hot dog stands. I'm envious of everyone else.

Reaction Score
Grilling is the way to go for me with most meats 12 months a year. When I order dogs out it's always a street cart, ballgame, or walk up. Closest I've come to a ordering at a restaurant is Glenwood but I always take out. I been meaning to try the place on State ST in New Haven. 8893 does it get your stamp of approval?

I love "dirty water" hot dogs.

Reaction Score
Christ my father puts mayo on dogs and fries. He attributes it to his time living in Brussels, I told him he should have left that rubbish ovet there.

Horrible

Your father is also a man who knows what's good in life!

I first had mayo on hot dogs in Mexico- broke my heart in two it was so good.

As for mayo or aioli on fries- the Belgians know what they're doing. For a country that has given the world good beer, waffles, mussels and chips, cheese and chocolate, they should be trusted.

If I have fries with both a side of mayo and ketchup, the ketchup won't be touched until the mayo is gone.

I figure- I don't smoke anything anymore, I'm pretty active physically, so why deprive myself the joy that is mayonnaise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom