OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Jack Rabbit's in Storrs? They've moved elsewhere since but that had killer dogs and burgers. Small portions but good.

they are in Old Saybrook now, menus on my desk and I am about to order lunch from there.

0Dm8JXi.jpg

Reaction Score
Hot Dog: Mucke's
Bun: Martin's hot dog potato roll
Toppings: Kosciusko spicy brown mustard, B&G sweet relish and of course diced red onion.

I've seen Doogie's in Newington mentioned but across town is Chef's Dog House. It's newer but better in my opinion. They say they have the largest condiment bar in Connecticut (many of them homemade).

August_West

Reaction Score
You write like a girl.

I have nerve damage in my right hand.
Good look making fun of cripples. Do you kick a kids crutches out from under him too?

Reaction Score
- Glazier's Frankfurters; Red Hot Dogs made w/ beef & pork, natural sheep casings
- Prefer grilled, Steamed second
- Sweet relish, brown mustard, diced raw onion on a New England Style roll

Pair these with a side of poutine and a couple cold nut brown ales...fahgettaboudit

I typically stock-up when I make my trips up to the St. Lawrence River throughout the summer.

Reaction Score
Noack's of Meriden, natural casing dog. Grilled over medium heat till the first pop of the casing. Bun lightly grilled/toasted. Whole grain mustard, chopped Vidalia, and kraut sautéed with black pepper.

Reaction Score
Whats your feeling on Chicago dogs.? I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the actual Vienna Beef dogs, they are excellent but then they load it up with
Sport peppers (Ok)
Neon green relish (Yuck)
Pickle spears (like pickles. not so much on a Dog)
Tomato wedges ?! (No 'in way. not on a dog!)
Onions (sure!)
Yellow Mustard ( yellow is for noobs. Spicy brown please)
Celery salt ( What the hell? )

They take a 5 out of 5 level Frank and then douse it in BS.

Chicago is a great food city, but they get a Fail for this.

Stick with Italian beef.
Chicago dogs are good, my go to is usually a depression era dog which just has the mustard, relish, onion, sport peppers and the double fried fries on top. Weiner's circle and some others do an awesome char merkt's cheddar dog. A Maxwell street polish is pretty awesome swimming in grilled onions. For me though the best hot dog combo will always be mustard, kraut and chili. A place called Sheik's in Torrington used to do it the best. Hot dogs were only served Saturday's. The Mucke's dogs were boiled in beer you got them with a good brown mustard, a homemade kraut studded with pork and chili on top. I ate hot dogs there every Saturday for years, sad the owner closed up shop 4 or 5 years ago.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Ill be the first to say id rather eat week old indian food wrapped in a used baby diaper than eat another capital lunch dog.

1) Hummel NC, G&W, deutchmacher
2) Grilled until split and slightly browned. Upper deck only. Slow roast that tube steak.
3) Only big play rays (my father inlaw) homemade hot pepper relish.
4)Frankie's on watertown ave in Waterbury and Blackies in Cheshire. But there is a guy that does road side dogs in E. Hartford out of a red tow behind wagon with some solid chili dogs. Over by all the car dealerships.

Reaction Score
Noack's of Meriden, natural casing dog. Grilled over medium heat till the first pop of the casing. Bun lightly grilled/toasted. Whole grain mustard, chopped Vidalia, and kraut sautéed with black pepper.

Since I know you're in the area, and haven't seen it mentioned yet, have you had Glenwood in Hamden? Great hotdogs, also been told the lobster rolls are great but I'm not a big lobstah guy, landmark restaurant for the area that I believe is still going strong with a slightly old schoolish drive-in style

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Bockwurst from KaDaWe, mit ein Bud, bitte.

(And Bud is a Budweis Budvar, not that Clydesdale urine from Anheuser Busch)

Reaction Score
I remember Swanky Frank's years ago was very good, not so much anymore, of course I have not been down that way for 4 years. I used to babysit the original owners daughter. Strange family.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
4.) Super duper weenie in fairfield. All other answers are invalid.

Seriously - it's not even close.

I've been to Frankie's, Blackie's, Rawley's, Grey's in the city - all jokes.

I dare you to have a New England dog from SDW and not have your life changed. It's that good.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Jack Rabbit's in Storrs? They've moved elsewhere since but that had killer dogs and burgers. Small portions but good.

Jacks now in Old Saybrook on Main st. Their hamburgers are great.

Reaction Score
a couple of little guy stands that haven't been mentioned.

a truck in Bristol, usually on Rt 6 near downtown, Phil's Top Dog.
and Fast Eddie's on the Berlin Tpke, south of rt 9 in a plaza about a 1/2 mile down southbound side.

Have 'em both with the same toppings. Mustard -onion-chili-kraut. Grab an extra napkin. Car will smell great for days.

Reaction Score
Hummel's skinless, on the grill.

The best however is Blackie's in Cheshire, it's all about the relish

August_West

Reaction Score
I remember Swanky Frank's years ago was very good, not so much anymore, of course I have not been down that way for 4 years. I used to babysit the original owners daughter. Strange family.

Check out my shirt ( light blue)

TpOOVmC.jpg

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The best hot dog joint in CT was Jimmy's of Savin Rock in the old days. Then they went and tried to class the place up and ruined it. Both the dogs and fries were top notch back in the day. Currently? Suer Duper Weenie's pretty good, but way too pricey for hot dogs. Swanky Franks is OK.

As to hot dogs cooked at home, I'll 2nd @8893 's vote for Millers Provisions in the old days, and Hummels now. I either split and fry them, or grill them, unsplit, but poked a time or two. Natural casing, of course. Skinless hot dogs are for people who boil them and put ketchup on them.

Condiment-wise, I eat dogs a variety of ways, none of which includes ketchup.
  • Spicy Brown Mustard, home-made relish (made from kosher dill, not sweet pickles) and chopped/minced onions. The way I grew up eating hot dogs, and I still enjoy them this way.
  • Just minced onions. I often order them this way when out, unless the setup allows you to put your own condiments on, since they always seem to put too much mustard and relish on them, and not enough onions.
  • Chili (no beans!) & onions.
  • Absolutely buried in fried onions. Fried onions kind of stand alone, and are never combined with other condiments
  • Except bacon. Bacon and fried onions on a hot dog is an other-worldly experience. Or pastrami and fried onions. That's great, too. Now I want to go make some dogs with bacon, pastrami & fried onions. Kinda like the holy trinity of stuff on a hot dog for me.
  • On a very rare occasion, I'll have a dog with cole slaw and a kosher dill pickle spear.
I once ordered two dogs with the works at the concession stand in an Alabama State Park. The woman looked at me funny, then served me two dogs with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and pickle slices. She responded to my "Huh???" by telling me that the works usually goes on a hamburger, not a hot dog. Truth be told, they weren't half bad.

And I really, really like corn dogs made with andouille sausage instead of a plain old hot dog. I call it Corndewey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will also put a vote in for Famous Lunch in Troy, NY or Gus's Hot Dog's in Watervliet, NY if I'm north of NYC

Reaction Score
Since I know you're in the area, and haven't seen it mentioned yet, have you had Glenwood in Hamden? Great hotdogs, also been told the lobster rolls are great but I'm not a big lobstah guy, landmark restaurant for the area that I believe is still going strong with a slightly old schoolish drive-in style

Yup and killer onion rings!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Glenwood Drive-in

Yep, great dogs, great onion rings, good burgers, fried seafood and lobster rolls. There are better lobster roll and fried seafood places though. Starting with Lobster Landing in Clinton for lobster rolls; and Johnny Ads in Old Saybrook for lobster rolls and fried seafood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom