OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, this brings up another offshoot here....chili dogs.

1. Chili with beans
  2. Chili without beans
  3. "Hot dog sauce" with cinnamon
  4. "Hot dog sauce" without cinnamon
The difference between chili without beans and hot dog sauce (or Michigan sauce) is that the latter is really just ground beef with the tomato based liquid cooked away. Chili has chunks of onion or tomato or peppers in it.

I like (prefer) Michigan sauce. But I don't like some that have cinnamon in them. Capitol Lunch's sauce has cinnamon and that's part of the reason I felt out of favor with them over the years.

Reaction Score

1. Chili with beans
  2. Chili without beans
The difference between chili without beans and hot dog sauce (or Michigan sauce) is that the latter is really just ground beef with the tomato based liquid cooked away. Chili has chunks of onion or tomato or peppers in it.

I like (prefer) Michigan sauce. But I don't like some that have cinnamon in them. Capitol Lunch's sauce has cinnamon and that's part of the reason I felt out of favor with them over the years.
Chili without beans, chili isn't supposed to have beans anyways. First and last time I had chili with cinnamon was in Skyline chili from Cincinnati, thought it was disgusting.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
1) Favorite Brands: Muckes with the casing. Jordan's Beef when I see them.
2) Cooking methods/ tricks of the trade: Grill. Roll often over medium heat so as not to split open.
3) Toppings: Chopped onion sometimes. Sweet relish. Koops Arizona Heat.

Only on a Cape Cod bun. Preferably crunchy grilled outside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't get much more Chicago than this place and the guy has no problem with ketchup, August would love it here.

Reaction Score
Yep, great dogs, great onion rings, good burgers, fried seafood and lobster rolls. There are better lobster roll and fried seafood places though. Starting with Lobster Landing in Clinton for lobster rolls; and Johnny Ads in Old Saybrook for lobster rolls and fried seafood.

Johnny Ads is ok, not as good as it used to be. The great attraction there is you can eat outside in the summer, it seems. I like Clinton Landing for their sausage and peppers.

Reaction Score
Ok when I was a young teen in New Jersey I devoured Italian Hot Dogs sold at a local deli. I can no longer find them but make them myself.

Beef Hot Dog and French Fries combined on an italian roll. I sometimes subsitute home fries taken home from a diner breakfast.

This goes only with KETCHUP @August_West.

As for resturant, Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield is the best hot dog in the State and Northeast and perhaps the USA.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lot of natural casing fans who beware of the dreaded splitting. Great. Pet peeve is people who make a mockery of a good natural casing hot dog by cooking it over too high heat splits all crazy, juices run out. So stupid. Happens all the time. People screw up Brats even worse.

Pro tip: Cut an "X's" on the ends of the Natural casing dogs about 1/4-1/2 inch. The ends curl up and get a delicious char on 'em and help getting the dog cooked without splitting a little better. Got that one from Gold Coast Dogs in Chicago.

for Brats? Boil in Beer first before hitting grill. Its almost impossible to cook a brat on the grill properly even on low heat if not precooked.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

1. Chili with beans
  2. Chili without beans

I prefer my chili w/o beans anyway, but chili for hot dogs should never have beans in it.

"or peppers?"

If there's no peppers (chiles) it's not chili! That's what makes meat sauce into chili, is the addition of chiles.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
enhanced-buzz-28043-1399383974-29.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
Johnny Ads is ok, not as good as it used to be. The great attraction there is you can eat outside in the summer, it seems. I like Clinton Landing for their sausage and peppers.

You seem local to me. Lets do lunch. :) And I fully agree on both points. I do like Lobster Landings Lobster rolls too though.
Otherwise my favorite Lobster Roll in this area is Bill's seafood. Tourist trap, not the greatest bargain, and the rest of the food is hit or miss but the Lobster rolls are bangin' always have been too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree that Johnny Ads lobster roll is not as good as it used to be (could have something to do with my having discovered Lobster Landing), but I still love their chowder the best. I don't eat as much fried seafood as I used to, but I still think theirs and Donahue's Clam Castle are best for that.

And I 100% agree about the sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing. It is now an essential order on every visit, and I tracked down his supplier, Meadow Meat in Middletown. That place is a mecca of all sorts of meat, including the sausage they distribute to Bacci.

Reaction Score
like the dogs they serve at Bart's in South Windsor, right off the grill...

Reaction Score
I agree that Johnny Ads lobster roll is not as good as it used to be (could have something to do with my having discovered Lobster Landing), but I still love their chowder the best. I don't eat as much fried seafood as I used to, but I still think theirs and Donahue's Clam Castle are best for that.

And I 100% agree about the sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing. It is now an essential order on every visit, and I tracked down his supplier, Meadow Meat in Middletown. That place is a mecca of all sorts of meat, including the sausage they distribute to Bacci.

My favorite sausage is a grinder from DJ's on Rt 1 inSaybrook.

Reaction Score
Seriously - it's not even close.

I've been to Frankie's, Blackie's, Rawley's, Grey's in the city - all jokes.

I dare you to have a New England dog from SDW and not have your life changed. It's that good.
Growing up in Fairfield there was always the Rawley's-SDW debate. After being continuously disappointed by Rawley's I have no earthly idea how that is even a debate.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dude you've got to change your avatar for food threads. Please!

When Boeheim picks 'em, he eats 'em. Thus it's food. Prime northern NY nose caviar. Thus it's perfectly appropriate.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Love Hot Dogs. Ball Park Beef Bun Length, Nathans local brand here called Hippys, I love all toppings. Used to use the top slice buns long ago. They call them here New England Hot Dog Buns. Raymonds Bakery in Waterbury made them back in the day. I also like them boiled as well. Many years ago a place called Fairlawn Tavern on Frost Road Waterbury used to boil them in beer. S was the sauerkrau. Fantastic dog. Used to eat a six pack of dogs in there.

Btw, I used to frequent Blacky's or Blackies Hot dogs just leaving Waterbury. I couldn't figure out if the hot dog was good or the relish .Suppose that place is gone.

August_West

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My brother loves doing the hot tub. Comes out good.

I go the other way with steaks - The reverse sear. I heat slow and indirect to start and the finish with the sear. Most people Sear first and then slow down. My way better.

Tried this the last few times I grilled steak. I brush my steaks with oil and pack them with coarse salt. Using this method prevents flame-ups from the oil and dripping fat, which can quickly turn a good crust into a char.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
1) Used to be Miller's Provisions in Stratford, but they went out of business. Hummels now if we're talking CT; but I usually rely on my father in law to bring them down from Hapanowicz in Utica, NY. Belly busters especially.

2) Grilled.

3) Ketchup, spicy brown mustard (sauerkraut, chili and cheese optional).

4) I love pretty much all the classic CT spots, e.g., Glenwood Drive-in, Super Duper Weenie, Capitol Lunch, Blackie's, Windmill, Johnny Ads, Woody's.

You nailed it with the Millers and Windmill mentions.

My grandparents lived in Stratford on Jackson Ave about 3 blocks away and Windmill Hot Dogs were a staple in my life growing up.
French Bakery rolls and the special Miller Provision hot dog blend made the Windmill dog with chili the best.

When I bought my first house I had a party and recreating Windmill dogs was on the menu.
I bought a few boxes of the Windmill blend from Millers, a few trays of rolls from French Bakery and went to the Windmill for the chili.
When I told them what I was doing they went off in the back and sent me away with a large container of their chili for FREE.

While not the same recipe or rolls anymore, I still go there when I travel through the area.

Nothing beats the OG Windmill hot dog, chili, and slice of American cheese melted on the grill and spatula'd off into the bun.
Washed down with a Genny Cream Ale pour from the tap.

FTMFW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin