OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When my father in law brings down the Belly Busters from Hapanowicz, he only brings them incidentally; his main mission is their kielbasa, of which I always grill a ton for our annual Memorial Day weekend party. We've gone back and forth about par-boiling them because of the impossibility of cooking them without burning them, which my wife used to complain about--until every single one of our guests commented that they liked their kielbasa charred, so that's how I do them. Butterflied and straight on the grill until both sides are charred.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You nailed it with the Millers and Windmill mentions.

My grandparents lived in Stratford on Jackson Ave about 3 blocks away and Windmill Hot Dogs were a staple in my life growing up.
French Bakery rolls and the special Miller Provision hot dog blend made the Windmill dog with chili the best.

When I bought my first house I had a party and recreating Windmill dogs was on the menu.
I bought a few boxes of the Windmill blend from Millers, a few trays of rolls from French Bakery and went to the Windmill for the chili.
When I told them what I was doing they went off in the back and sent me away with a large container of their chili for FREE.

While not the same recipe or rolls anymore, I still go there when I travel through the area.

Nothing beats the OG Windmill hot dog, chili, and slice of American cheese melted on the grill and spatula'd off into the bun.
Washed down with a Genny Cream Ale pour from the tap.

FTMFW!!!
No doubt. French's Bakery rolls also ruled. That was the standing order for my parents to bring to every single party. Now that they, too, are out of business, we have to come up with things for my parents to bring (jello mold seems to have replaced them lately), and we have to settle for average rolls that we get locally.

Fully agree on the old Windmill dogs. That's exactly how I got them, plus a touch of sauerkraut. Even though it's not nearly the same any more, like you I still stop by when I'm in the area. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Great off topic thread. Went to my favorite spot for lunch today, Denmos in Southbury. Nothing like a split charbroiled dog with bacon and cheese. Add a little ketchup, deli mustard,, and relish and we are in buisness. Growing up in Naugatuck I used to be a fan of Big Als, but they have gone down hill. The Frankies stand in waterbury is pretty good. The stand only, not their indoor locations. Woodys is great but slow as molasses. Their specialty dogs are phenomenonal, especially the deputy dog and the Philly dog.

As for hone cooking, Hummels is the way to go, but to mix it up I don't mind a nathans or sabbaret.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Tried this the last few times I grilled steak. I brush my steaks with oil and pack them with coarse salt. Using this method prevents flame-ups from the oil and dripping fat, which can quickly turn a good crust into a char.

Indeed. You using a good thermometer I hope?

Over the indirect (225 deg) I go 97 degrees, flip it.... hit 116 Degrees and then sear on hopefully close to 1000 degree short time per side. Perfect every time. I haven ruined a steak in years.

This is getting into a general grilling thread but Its OK its off season.

Another Pet Peeve. I dont know how anyone grills without a thermometer! It enables you to be spot on perfect every time. I see people (and even my family members dont because they just think Im a who doesnt know what hes talking about....they are kind of tlike the 'Yard in that way) with great, expensive grill set ups, buying good meats to cook and the then promptly things up that would have been dead simple with a thermometer.
And dont skimp on thermometers. People spends 100's even thousands on great grills and smokers and then buy a 4.99 thermometer from the supermarket IF they have anything at all.
For less than 100 bucks you can have BOTH a remote setup for a leave in thermometer for smoking brisket and pork shoulder and what not, AND a ThermaPen for Steaks and Chicken etc..................
You will be hailed as a grilling genius when really your only secret is that you know how to jab a thermometer into a piece of meat.

Reaction Score
Grilling is the way to go for me with most meats 12 months a year. When I order dogs out it's always a street cart, ballgame, or walk up. Closest I've come to a ordering at a restaurant is Glenwood but I always take out. I been meaning to try the place on State ST in New Haven. 8893 does it get your stamp of approval?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For less than 100 bucks you can have BOTH a remote setup for a leave in thermometer for smoking brisket and pork shoulder and what not, AND a ThermaPen for Steaks and Chicken etc...
You will be hailed as a grilling genius when really your only secret is that you know how to jab a thermometer into a piece of meat.
I think I need your expert advice here. We had a crap thermometer and then my wife bought me a good one a long time ago, but it was just before the remotes were good and widely available, so it had a cord and got to be a bit of a PITA, and then the battery died or something and I never replaced it, so I'm one of those you describe now, taking somewhat reckless chances, often with great pieces of meat. I've really only screwed up one expensive one that I recall, and that was more a matter of me totally spacing when I was distracted by a shiny penny; but I really don't like the guessing game and would prefer the certainty of a good thermometer, if there's something reliable, easy and not crazy expensive.

I don't smoke brisket or shoulder; I just grill on a decent gas Weber. A lot. For steak, wife and kids like almost everything well done (kills me), although I can sell most of them on medium-well, especially for good steak. I'm medium rare. Otherwise, lots of chicken breast, pork, sausage, kielbasa, etc., and seafood.

Those are my needs: what thermometer do I want?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Grilling is the way to go for me with most meats 12 months a year. When I order dogs out it's always a street cart, ballgame, or walk up. Closest I've come to a ordering at a restaurant is Glenwood but I always take out. I been meaning to try the place on State ST in New Haven. 8893 does it get your stamp of approval?
Don't think I know it yet. What place?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Closest I've come to a ordering at a restaurant is Glenwood but I always take out.

I thought Glenwood was really good. And Augie and Ray's (w/sauce) before a hoop game is a nice snack. I'm surprised the OP didn't bring up ketchup. Ketchup on dogs is nasty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jordan's I believe.
Don't know it. Will investigate and report back, but it may be a while. Appearances to the contrary, I don't eat many hot dogs. Maybe like three or four a year. I love them, but I have enough calorie-packed vices and it's getting harder and harder to metabolize them all.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think I need your expert advice here. We had a crap thermometer and then my wife bought me a good one a long time ago, but it was just before the remotes were good and widely available, so it had a cord and got to be a bit of a PITA, and then the battery died or something and I never replaced it, so I'm one of those you describe now, taking somewhat reckless chances, often with great pieces of meat. I've really only screwed up one expensive one that I recall, and that was more a matter of me totally spacing when I was distracted by a shiny penny; but I really don't like the guessing game and would prefer the certainty of a good thermometer, if there's something reliable, easy and not crazy expensive.

I don't smoke brisket or shoulder; I just grill on a decent gas Weber. A lot. For steak, wife and kids like almost everything well done (kills me), although I can sell most of them on medium-well, especially for good steak. I'm medium rare. Otherwise, lots of chicken breast, pork, sausage, kielbasa, etc., and seafood.

Those are my needs: what thermometer do I want?
http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

August_West

Reaction Score
To expand that is a stick it in and get a reading thermometer for direct use in meats. It's not a remote . Stick , read , take out.

For slow cooking and smoking is when I use remotes. Because you don't want to open up the cookers. And I have a pair . one sits in the meat measuring temp and one sits on the cooking area measuring temp of smoker.
Different kind of deal.

Thermapen perfect for your needs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To expand that is a stick it in and get a reading thermometer for direct use in meats. It's not a remote . Stick , read , take out.

For slow cooking and smoking is when I use remotes. Because you don't want to open up the cookers. And I have a pair . one sits in the meat measuring temp and one sits on the cooking area measuring temp of smoker.
Different kind of deal.

Thermapen perfect for your needs.
Understood. I think that was part of the problem I had with the other one; it was kind of a hybrid and did neither exceptionally well. Sharper Image iirc. It was a very nice thought, but you're right: this is what I need.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When my father in law brings down the Belly Busters from Hapanowicz, he only brings them incidentally; his main mission is their kielbasa, of which I always grill a ton for our annual Memorial Day weekend party. We've gone back and forth about par-boiling them because of the impossibility of cooking them without burning them, which my wife used to complain about--until every single one of our guests commented that they liked their kielbasa charred, so that's how I do them. Butterflied and straight on the grill until both sides are charred.
Try finishing grilled kielbasa by brushing on barbecue sauce or duck sauce. Strangely good.

August_West

Reaction Score
Don't know it. Will investigate and report back, but it may be a while. Appearances to the contrary, I don't eat many hot dogs. Maybe like three or four a year. I love them, but I have enough calorie-packed vices and it's getting harder and harder to metabolize them all.
I haven't tried Jordan's yet but have heard good things , but there is a place on Crown ST right next to Jeera's and PST called " jakes diggity dogs" that I've had a bunch at this year. It's not earth shattering but very good and very budget friendly.

Reaction Score
I thought Glenwood was really good. And Augie and Ray's (w/sauce) before a hoop game is a nice snack. I'm surprised the OP didn't bring up ketchup. Ketchup on dogs is nasty.
Yes but then someone mentioned Mayo smh

Reaction Score
The best hot dog joint in CT was Jimmy's of Savin Rock in the old days. Then they went and tried to class the place up and ruined it. Both the dogs and fries were top notch back in the day. Currently? Suer Duper Weenie's pretty good, but way too pricey for hot dogs. Swanky Franks is OK.

As to hot dogs cooked at home, I'll 2nd @8893 's vote for Millers Provisions in the old days, and Hummels now. I either split and fry them, or grill them, unsplit, but poked a time or two. Natural casing, of course. Skinless hot dogs are for people who boil them and put ketchup on them.

Condiment-wise, I eat dogs a variety of ways, none of which includes ketchup.
  • Spicy Brown Mustard, home-made relish (made from kosher dill, not sweet pickles) and chopped/minced onions. The way I grew up eating hot dogs, and I still enjoy them this way.
  • Just minced onions. I often order them this way when out, unless the setup allows you to put your own condiments on, since they always seem to put too much mustard and relish on them, and not enough onions.
  • Chili (no beans!) & onions.
  • Absolutely buried in fried onions. Fried onions kind of stand alone, and are never combined with other condiments
  • Except bacon. Bacon and fried onions on a hot dog is an other-worldly experience. Or pastrami and fried onions. That's great, too. Now I want to go make some dogs with bacon, pastrami & fried onions. Kinda like the holy trinity of stuff on a hot dog for me.
  • On a very rare occasion, I'll have a dog with cole slaw and a kosher dill pickle spear.
I once ordered two dogs with the works at the concession stand in an Alabama State Park. The woman looked at me funny, then served me two dogs with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and pickle slices. She responded to my "Huh???" by telling me that the works usually goes on a hamburger, not a hot dog. Truth be told, they weren't half bad.

And I really, really like corn dogs made with andouille sausage instead of a plain old hot dog. I call it Corndewey.
Jimmies when it served outdoors! The guy on the grill was so fast, he'd have your dog ready as soon as you ordered it. Of course I was pretty young but that's how I remember the place.

August_West

Reaction Score
So you're saying I don't have much time left?

If you don't I'll take the thermometer off your hands. I have an earlier iteration .

Reaction Score
Costco hot dogs, but not when you get them at the food court - they sell the same exact ones in the freezer section. Slightly charred with relish and mustard. It's the best hot dog I've ever had besides Frankie's in Waterbury.

I'm also shocked at how many people here enjoy Nathan's. They are nothing but grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom