OT: You only get to choose one condiment. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: You only get to choose one condiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Salsa. I already use it as my condiment of choice on most things.

Reaction Score
Siracha sauce
Dumpling Sauce
The dressing they use on the Garden Salad in Japanese restaurants

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
For the record, any my cousin vinny clips posted on this board will be automatically liked by me.
images

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My initial reaction was "ketchup," and then I thought of 1000 Island/Russian dressing, but now I am also strongly considering a dark horse: soy sauce.

This is a very serious matter to which I will continue giving thought.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If it is allowed, chipotle mayo.

If not, balsamic vinegar. Works with both savory (any meat I can think of) and sweet (goes great with a fruit-based dish).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of flavor enhancers/sauces any of you have Aji verde Peruvian sauce and salsa lizano? Two unbeleivably tasty condiments you don't see too often outside of Peruvian and Costa Rican cooking.
Got hooked on Salsa Lizano when we honeymooned in Costa Rica and have been a regular user ever since. I have a couple big bottles shipped every now and again to keep it in stock.

And that's actually the kind of thing I had in mind as an "everything" sauce, because that certainly is a three-meals-and-a-snack sauce. The reason I chose Inner Beauty instead is because it fills those same sweet, salty, spicy and consistency boxes but is considerably hotter. It really was the world's most perfect sauce imo, but probably too hot for many because it's made with Scotch Bonnet/Habanero peppers. But it also has mango and fruit juice for great sweetness, and mustard, vinegar, molasses, honey, oil and some great savory spices like curry, tumeric, allspice, cumin and chili powder.

As for @Deepster and @August_West asking where the ketchup fans are, most of us said that we liked it, not that we wanted to marry it. I would want something spicier than ketchup it I only had one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Salsa has to be it, provided you can vary the heat by adding spice.

Salsa is way down on the list for me. Only certain brands are palatable and even then, it's not nearly as versatile as a decent barbeque sauce.

Let's use @UconnFanNVa 's list. Can you appreciate good bbq with Salsa? Not likely without a number of qualifiers. How about a hot dog or sausage? Nope. Chili is a much better option. Salsa is a probably a distant 4th...at best. Nachos? Obviously yes, but take it under advisement that Moe's gives away it's salsa for free, while the queso dip cost a couple bucks extra. Salsa on a cheese (ham)burger is only found where 1) the restaurant thinks they are being fancy but is really a Red Robin, or 2) a cookout host does not offer tomatoes (and the taste is still off). Fish? Not the traditional salsa.

That's 1 1/2 (credit for fish) for 5.

Do the same breakdown for BBQ sauce.
Slow cooked meats? That's what's the sauce is meant for.
Hot Dog or Sausage? Absolutely
Nachos? Probably not,
Cheeseburger? Bring it on.
Fish? May not be a typical use but yes, Grilled fish marinated in barbeque sauce is quite tasty. Besides UConnNVa chose tartar sauce, which normally accompanies a deep fried variety of fish. What also typically accompanies deep fried fish? French Fries. BBQ sauce is awesome not only on fries, but baked potato, and chips as well.

What's that? 6 for 7? 7 of 8?

Barbeque sauce is the Jose Oquendo of condiments: Not only good enough to succeed at the highest level (13 years in the Major Leagues) but versatile to pair with almost any cuisine. By comparison, salsa is John Rocker. Can only really do a couple of things, but not particularly well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gauc is not a "condiment" is it? That's like saying hummus is a condiment

Really.....you might as well peel a banana, squish it up in a bowl and call that a condiment.

Reaction Score
Got hooked on Salsa Lizano when we honeymooned in Costa Rica and have been a regular user ever since. I have a couple big bottles shipped every now and again to keep it in stock.

And that's actually the kind of thing I had in mind as an "everything" sauce, because that certainly is a three-meals-and-a-snack sauce. The reason I chose Inner Beauty instead is because it fills those same sweet, salty, spicy and consistency boxes but is considerably hotter. It really was the world's most perfect sauce imo, but probably too hot for many because it's made with Scotch Bonnet/Habanero peppers. But it also has mango and fruit juice for great sweetness, and mustard, vinegar, molasses, honey, oil and some great savory spices like curry, tumeric, allspice, cumin and chili powder.

As for @Deepster and @August_West asking where the ketchup fans are, most of us said that we liked it, not that we wanted to marry it. I would want something spicier than ketchup it I only had one.
Wow that Inner Beauty stuff sounds awesome, need to track some of it down.

Reaction Score
Very important question: if I don't choose buffalo/hot sauce then can I still eat wings tossed in buffalo??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mrs. Chin is going Bubba from Forrest Gump over honey or maple syrup. She thinks maple syrup on steak is acceptable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gauc is not a "condiment" is it? That's like saying hummus is a condiment

If salsa is a condiment then guac has to be considered a condiment.

Hummus is very versatile too.

Blue Cheese and Ranch have just as many food items combined as guacamole.

Same with mayo- Eggs, oil, vinegar

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sweet Baby Ray's.

While I wouldn't pick it for the purposes of this thread Sweet Baby Ray's is phenomenal.

Unless you have ribbons and trophies for your sauce, don't waste your time. SBR is better.

Reaction Score
Put me down for Sriracha. If it wasn't for rule #1 it might be Sriracha/Mayonnaise.

Runners-up:
Sambal
XO sauce
Kecap Manis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics