OT: You only get to choose one condiment. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: You only get to choose one condiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you're including dressings then you're basically making it all sauces.

If that is the case, give me tomato and call it a day.

Reaction Score
If you're including dressings then you're basically making it all sauces.

If that is the case, give me tomato and call it a day.

Ranch came into the discussion because it's given alongside wings or as a dipping sauce. I guess technically, they serve marinara alongside calimari or mozz sticks, so tomato sauce would be allowable. I don't think it's nearly as versatile, meal to meal, as you think it would be.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
On a booze filled golf weekend once, we had this debate and it took most of the weekend and got pretty heated at times.

If you could choose only one condiment to use for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Now, read the rules carefully.

1) You can only use this condiment. You can't use it with other stuff to make other condiments (Ex: Ketchup + horseradish = cocktail sauce. The horseradish is a 2nd condiment.)

2) Remember this is breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. If you choose something that's not versatile (Ex: A-1 sauce), you're sacrificing lots of meals without a condiment.

From what I can recall, here were some of the more popular choices: Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, mayo, Miracle Whip, salsa, ranch dressing.

We did arrive at a consensus choice. I think you might be surprised by it.

The whole argument hinges on the definition of a condiment. I consider a condiment to be a stand alone flavor enhancer/meal additive after the meal is served. Some define it as a flavor enhancer without regard as to when it added (thereby including salt and pepper).

Salt, Pepper, oregano, basil, etc. are spices integral in preparation. Ketchup, relish, tartar, cocktail sauce, wasabi paste, hot sauce, salsa etc. are condiments meant to compliment the already-prepared food.

On the other hand, some sauces, IMO, can act as ingredient/marinades as well as dipping sauce, such as butter, BBQ, certain oil based dressings, mustard, honey, soy, and teriyaki sauces. While these are the most versatile, a key question is what is the intent?

Butter.
This could very well be the winner, depending on definition.

Reaction Score
Speaking of flavor enhancers/sauces any of you have Aji verde Peruvian sauce and salsa lizano? Two unbeleivably tasty condiments you don't see too often outside of Peruvian and Costa Rican cooking.

Reaction Score
Lately I have stopped putting anything on my hamburger,just to be able to taste the quality of the meat. Some burgers are really delicious, others not so much. Putting l&t,ketchup,mayo or anything else hides the quality of the meat. Good meat is delish.

Reaction Score
Trojans Magnum XL
Condiments suck.

I am sick of soy sauce. Been using it for quite a while. And it sure is a "safe" option, if such a thing as a healthy condiment exists.

Otherwise, I'd strongly consider salsa if tomatos did not cause inflammation.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I'm guessing pesto doesn't count, it is referred to as a sauce. But I can put that on just about anything.

I'd probably go with mayo for versatility.

Miracle whip is an abomination.

Reaction Score
Kyuupi mayonnaise.

I love just about everything food wise, including condiments.

But the problem I have with salsa and bbq sauce and hot sauce and mustard is that they don't go as well with vegetables (mustard seeds are nice, though).

Can any of you put any of those sauces alone on a salad, or some steamed veggies? I guess you could, but that doesn't sound so appetizing to me.

You can put mayo on your salad, veggies, and of course on other things like sandwiches, meats, fish, and of course fried foods.

I don't eat a lot of mayonnaise, but it has to be the most versatile.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ken's Steakhouse Buffalo sauce.

I am assuming that salad dressings are not condiments...

Reaction Score
Ken's Steakhouse Buffalo sauce.

I am assuming that salad dressings are not condiments...

Ranch and Blue Cheese were included in the discussion because they can standardly be found as a condiment on burgers or as a dipping sauce. If you can make the case for a dressing, it could be included.

Reaction Score
Interesting mix of answers so far.

1) Lots of love for BBQ sauce. That's ridiculous.
2) Not much mention for ketchup. Maybe it's because of the other thread, but in the original discussion, ketchup had a huge contingent behind it.
3) If I'm going to play devil's advocate on the hot sauce (since it seems to be leading the pack here), it pretty much takes over everything you put it on. So, every meal you use it will taste pretty much solely like hot sauce. Very overpowering.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've got a jar of harissa and a jar of chili jam that are being used often and liberally at my house, while my sriracha mayo continues to go mostly untouched.

This stuff is terrific on lots of other stuff.
wn-hot-sweet-chili-jam.png

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Interesting mix of answers so far.

1) Lots of love for BBQ sauce. That's ridiculous.
2) Not much mention for ketchup. Maybe it's because of the other thread, but in the original discussion, ketchup had a huge contingent behind it.
3) If I'm going to play devil's advocate on the hot sauce (since it seems to be leading the pack here), it pretty much takes over everything you put it on. So, every meal you use it will taste pretty much solely like hot sauce. Very overpowering.

I was thinking the same thing about ketchup. Where are all the ketchup lovers that declared their devotion in that thread (the phrase gods ejaculate was used for christs sake) . Is it that deep down they really know that it is not good?

You are not wrong about hot sauce, but I dont think there is a single perfect condiment for every occasion. My choice of hot sauce is making the best of a bad situation.

You can control the obliteration by the amount used.

Reaction Score
I'll take horseradish. I don't ever use condiments for breakfast so no issue there. Just about any other meal that calls for a condiment can be done with horseradish for me

Reaction Score
I can eat good bbq without sauce.
Good hot dogs and sausages, no mustard needed.
Salsa, nice with nachos, but dont have to have it.
Ketchup, only use on burgers sometimes, can live without it.

Tartar sauce... I thin i'm going with tartar sauce

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Salsa has to be it, provided you can vary the heat by adding spice.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I can eat good bbq without sauce.
Good hot dogs and sausages, no mustard needed.
Salsa, nice with nachos, but dont have to have it.
Ketchup, only use on burgers sometimes, can live without it.

Tartar sauce... I thin i'm going with tartar sauce
NVA. That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection............................

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Kyuupi mayonnaise.

I love just about everything food wise, including condiments.

But the problem I have with salsa and bbq sauce and hot sauce and mustard is that they don't go as well with vegetables (mustard seeds are nice, though).

Can any of you put any of those sauces alone on a salad, or some steamed veggies? I guess you could, but that doesn't sound so appetizing to me.

You can put mayo on your salad, veggies, and of course on other things like sandwiches, meats, fish, and of course fried foods.

I don't eat a lot of mayonnaise, but it has to be the most versatile.
Regularly put tobasco on my salads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky