OT - Yard Goats Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Yard Goats Update

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Before we christen this as the "Great Rebirth", remember....people used to come to UConn games too. And when the shine wore off, they stopped. Great start for the stadium.....after like 10 games.
The UConn "shine" in Hartford lasted almost 40 years.

Reaction Score
2) a minor league baseball game doesn't bring other spending to the city. You go to the game, eat and drink there and then leave. You don't go and then say hey let's go hit up Trumbull Kitchen at 11PM with your kids.

A group of 26 of us went from New Haven to the Saturday game. We went to lunch at City Steam, had some drinks at Pig's Eye, then after literally went to Trumbull Kitchen at 11PM.

So I kinda have to disagree with you on this one...

Reaction Score
Basically they are saying it will run an operating loss in the first 2 years because that is all the are forecasting yet time wise, they make no statements beyond the first 2 years.

Zero chance this reaches BE in years 3, 4, 5+....

City Now Expects To Lose Money On Dunkin' Donuts Park In Yard Goats' First Two Years

The debt costs are high and huge OT and pension spiking costs for cops & FFs

Longer term the only thing that keeps this from being an only slightly not as stupid decision as the worthless $400M convention center is if the surrounding area gets developed and Hartford becomes a cooler place to visit, even when there are no baseball games that day

I'll probably head their this weekend with my oldest since the Sox team is in town. Looking forward to it.
It's amazing how miserable some of u people are but it's been going on for years.
Not sure why I'm still amazed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Before we christen this as the "Great Rebirth", remember....people used to come to UConn games too. And when the shine wore off, they stopped. Great start for the stadium.....after like 10 games.

Why you hate Hartford?

Reaction Score
Wasn't it New Britain? I recall a few guys from Storrs in 80s-early 90s paying $5 in Willi

Maybe better quality in Hartford? Longer drive

He's still mad about Clyde getting pinched there.

Reaction Score
I have a 50 yr old niece who lives (by choice) in Hartford. She's got zero interest in sports, but is big on what's happening in Htfd, and has been to several games with her SO. He is not a sports fan either. I suspect she drags him along more than the other way. She's more a theatre and arts patron than a sports fan. Only other sporting event she goes to is the Kentucky Derby every year, and that's mostly about getting to wear an outrageous hat.

I don't know if people of her ilk (That's not meant to be derogatory, but somehow sounds that way) filling the stadium are good for the team long term or not.
Women wearing funky hats at the stadium is old school. Just ask the women to dress Victorian.

Reaction Score
I have a 50 yr old niece who lives (by choice) in Hartford. She's got zero interest in sports, but is big on what's happening in Htfd, and has been to several games with her SO. He is not a sports fan either. I suspect she drags him along more than the other way. She's more a theatre and arts patron than a sports fan. Only other sporting event she goes to is the Kentucky Derby every year, and that's mostly about getting to wear an outrageous hat.

I don't know if people of her ilk (That's not meant to be derogatory, but somehow sounds that way) filling the stadium are good for the team long term or not.

I don't think it really matters who goes as long as people are going. Look at the pink hats at Red Sox games. Most of them know nothing about baseball but its an excuse to do something with their friends/families/co workers and have a few beverages and some food. How many people go to UConn Football games just to party? As chief would say, casual fans are needed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Superintendent: "Hello, Mr M, I have fantastic news!!! Your daughter is officially our valedictorian!!!"

@JSM1970 : Yeah, well, I have met many of her classmates. They're es and being a public school she'll never get an Ivy League acceptance.

++++++

Chaplain: "Do you, dear, take this man to be your husband?"

Soon-to-be Mrs. M: "Oh, I do!!!"

Chaplain: And do you @JSM1970 take this woman to be be your wife?"

@JSM1970 : "Uh, I guess. I wanted her sister but since she died..."

+++++++

Kid: "Dad, the dentist said my teef are great. No cavities!!"

@JSM1970 : "whatevs. I see the way you pound thos Sour PAtch Kids. Your teeth WILL rot out of your head. Just a matter of time."

Kid: But he said my enamels are like rock!"

@JSM1970 :" STFU, son. I see what I see."

Reaction Score
Deepster said they would draw under 3,900. Yeah, about that....

They're averaging 4,900 after 10 games and including the first two open weekends for the new stadium. Averaging under 3,000 for weeknight games. I won't be far off with that estimate.

Reaction Score
Stadium will run a huge operating loss even if they sell out every single game.

2) a minor league baseball game doesn't bring other spending to the city. You go to the game, eat and drink there and then leave. You don't go and then say hey let's go hit up Trumbull Kitchen at 11PM with your kids.

Winners are parking vendors and local workers huge pension spiking to manage the rowdy and violent minor league baseball crowds. That last part is sarcasm.

I disagree with the above statement totally. I was at the game on Sunday with some friends who haven't been to Hartford in years. It was getting chilly so we left at the bottom of the 7th. My friends wanted to get something to eat and drink so we took a stroll down Trumbull St. to Vaughn's Pub on Pratt St. where we had dinner and drinks. There were a few people there when we arrived. But once the game ended a flood of people came into the Pub and the place got quite crowded. I asked the bartender if the crowd was usual for a late Sunday afternoon. He said no. He attributed it to the ball game crowd.

When we left, my friends who hadn't been to Hartford in years said Thanks for opening their eyes to Hartford. They said they felt an exciting vibe going on in the city and they will definitely return. They didn't realize there was so much to do in the city.

This Sunday experience unquestionably is a direct effect of the ballpark being located in the city. It's inexpensive to park, see a ball game and have some family fun. In addition, no one felt unsafe at any time. I don't know if they will complete the plans around the ballpark but for know its a lot of fun.

Reaction Score

Why would it be bad? Is minor league baseball only for the die-hards? Did I miss something?

The more casual fans we can get into it, the better off we are. I've said the same thing about UConn Football for years. I don't care if you went there. I don't care if you know the history. If you show up, good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you will. MiLB weekday attendance increases significantly after the kids get out of school.

I'll be interested to see if that happens. Keep in mind, going to New Britain was much different than leaving Hartford, fighting traffic on 84 through to Glastonbury or Southington, getting your kids loaded back up and fighting the traffic back in the other direction.

Reaction Score
I would say 2 things about the Goats experience. 1. The crowd seems much more into rooting for Hartford than they were in New Britain where it was more of an outing feel.
2. There are a lot of kids but it seems like an older crowd over all. Or more working people than families. And they stay until the end. In New Britain the crowd disappeared after the 7 th or 9:15 whichever came first.
I'd add a 3rd. The stadium is pretty nice. And it has a few quirks which make it interesting to watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if that happens. Keep in mind, going to New Britain was much different than leaving Hartford, fighting traffic on 84 through to Glastonbury or Southington, getting your kids loaded back up and fighting the traffic back in the other direction.
Well, they average over 6,000 for Friday night games and Friday rush hours are usually the worst of the week. I can see issues coming from the west during rush hour but not from the east. Getting to UConn games at the XL have always been a piece of cake coming from east of the river, I can't see why that would be different for the Goats.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why people that live in Hartford and plan to stay there are actually rooting against this stadium? I.e. I've seen new minor league stadiums in Durham and Charlotte have positive impacts on those cities and even if not baseball fans residents of the cities were hoping for entertainment, revitalization etc... So if Hartford 'sucks' why root for the suckiness to trump a positive effort?

Its rooting against if Hartford built a new state of the art arena, somehow got the Whalers to come back and revitalized UConn basketball in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Went last night. Goats lost 7-0.

Went to opening day, but got way too drunk before and during game to actually watch and take it all in. Was too busy walking around.

Got a $17 ticket and sat in the RF Hartford porch. It was nice and they give you access to the YG club behind home plate. More options of beer and food up there. Man, great place to grab a foul ball. One went in someone's beer right behind me. Couple more over my head. Bring a glove if you sit up there.

I don't really like be net rules in center field. Automatic ground rule double. Way too easy to hit one to the net. They should raise the lower wall a little to make the ball more playable out there.

I like that hey had framed jerseys from all the local teams in the suite area. Old whalers, NE whalers, UConn baseball, bball, football jerseys. Sold whaler and UConn gear in gift shop.

Plus they have a local hartford food stand that switches every 12 games. It's nice that it will switch and get to try different things than the typical baseball food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom