OT - Yard Goats Update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Yard Goats Update

Reaction Score
Went last night. Goats lost 7-0.

Got a $17 ticket and sat in the RF Hartford porch. It was nice and they give you access to the YG club behind home plate. More options of beer and food up there. Man, great place to grab a foul ball. One went in someone's beer right behind me. Couple more over my head. Bring a glove if you sit up there.

It seems that I sitting to your right. I was in the front row of that section on the aisle. The beer shot was to my left.

I really enjoyed it. The club was beautiful. Nice seeing UCONN alum Mike Olt too!

I work on Pearl Street, so I'll definitely be back for more.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I disagree with the above statement totally. I was at the game on Sunday with some friends who haven't been to Hartford in years. It was getting chilly so we left at the bottom of the 7th. My friends wanted to get something to eat and drink so we took a stroll down Trumbull St. to Vaughn's Pub on Pratt St. where we had dinner and drinks. There were a few people there when we arrived. But once the game ended a flood of people came into the Pub and the place got quite crowded. I asked the bartender if the crowd was usual for a late Sunday afternoon. He said no. He attributed it to the ball game crowd.

When we left, my friends who hadn't been to Hartford in years said Thanks for opening their eyes to Hartford. They said they felt an exciting vibe going on in the city and they will definitely return. They didn't realize there was so much to do in the city.

This Sunday experience unquestionably is a direct effect of the ballpark being located in the city. It's inexpensive to park, see a ball game and have some family fun. In addition, no one felt unsafe at any time. I don't know if they will complete the plans around the ballpark but for know its a lot of fun.
I think if stories like this keep happening you'll see growth around the ballpark rather quickly. People wanna stick around and if they're willing to walk to Vaughns or TK that's awesome.

The stadium will only be a success if the area around it grows like it was intended to do. Like someone else said, that growth has stalled because the developers were the ones fired. Once that lawsuit clears I bet theyll have a lot of interest.

Would be curious if Hooker would entertain their original proposal again. I thought I read somewhere that it never happened because of rent or land cost disputes with developers. With Centerplan gone, maybe they'd come back in. That would be a big get.

I also think that those apartments they are making on the top 4-5 floors of the hotel overlooking the stadium must be awesome!

Going to my first game next Friday and I can't wait.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am rooting for the team, just didn't like the way things went down with New Britain and how long the stadium took to build.
They need to develop the area around the stadium with private money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am rooting for the team, just didn't like the way things went down with New Britain and how long the stadium took to build.
Spilt milk.

Reaction Score
Would be curious if Hooker would entertain their original proposal again

Seems unlikely, they're opening a tasting room in the Colt building, which is also a huge gain for Hartford, so they're doing their part.

I think as soon as the whole lawsuit gets resolved, someone is gonna wanna build there. Building next to a minor league stadium is a no-brainer. Especially with real estate prices as they are in the North End. Someone's gonna take that risk and do just fine.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Spilt milk.

True but it was a crappy move and the way Hartford and center point handled it early on was a disaster, to say the least.

I root for the Yard Goat's, Bluefish, Norwich, and the Bee's

Reaction Score
Seems unlikely, they're opening a tasting room in the Colt building, which is also a huge gain for Hartford, so they're doing their part.

I think as soon as the whole lawsuit gets resolved, someone is gonna wanna build there. Building next to a minor league stadium is a no-brainer. Especially with real estate prices as they are in the North End. Someone's gonna take that risk and do just fine.

Not trying to pick a fight, I'm optimistic there will be more development around there soon, but...

It's not cheap. @Pudge could speak to it, but I expect the ballpark just raised the price on any development.

It's also not the North End. North of downtown, but not even close to the North End which is up near Tower Ave.

Even Clay Arsenal is still 3-5 blocks in the opposite direction of downtown and anything anyone visiting would be walking to.

That area doesn't help, but IMO, the impact of the stadium far outweighs it.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see if that happens. Keep in mind, going to New Britain was much different than leaving Hartford, fighting traffic on 84 through to Glastonbury or Southington, getting your kids loaded back up and fighting the traffic back in the other direction.
What traffic fighting to get back to Hartford? if you live in Hartford county and don't know the backroads then you shouldn't be driving. Been to Hartford plenty of times and never have more then a 5-10 minute traffic delay even in heavy traffic. The stadium is VERY easy to get to without going downtown exits. Heck you can get to the stadium going backroads in West Hartford and same with East Hartford. Traffic and "violence" is just an excuse for someone who doesn't want to go..

Reaction Score
What traffic fighting to get back to Hartford? if you live in Hartford county and don't know the backroads then you shouldn't be driving. Been to Hartford plenty of times and never have more then a 5-10 minute traffic delay even in heavy traffic. The stadium is VERY easy to get to without going downtown exits. Heck you can get to the stadium going backroads in West Hartford and same with East Hartford. Traffic and "violence" is just an excuse for someone who doesn't want to go..

How would you get there from Southington at 5:30?

Reaction Score
How would you get there from Southington at 5:30?
You could take:
  • 691 to 91 since 91 has less traffic than 84.
  • 84 to New Britain and hop on the Magic Busway.
  • 84 to West Hartford and take a number of back roads.
  • 84 to 9 to Newington and take 173 to the Berlin Turnpike and follow that to Maple Ave and all the way to downtown.
  • Or just take 84 all the way downtown.
There are a few options. None of them should take more than 45 minutess.

But since the games don't start until 7:05, you don't have to leave Southington at 5:30. You could leave at 6:15 when traffic is lighter, and still be in your seat by the first pitch.

Reaction Score
You could take:
  • 691 to 91 since 91 has less traffic than 84.
  • 84 to New Britain and hop on the Magic Busway.
  • 84 to West Hartford and take a number of back roads.
  • 84 to 9 to Newington and take 173 to the Berlin Turnpike and follow that to Maple Ave and all the way to downtown.
  • Or just take 84 all the way downtown.
There are a few options. None of them should take more than 45 minutess.

But since the games don't start until 7:05, you don't have to leave Southington at 5:30. You could leave at 6:15 when traffic is lighter, and still be in your seat by the first pitch.

Agree to disagree. When I bring up commuting in, I'm not talking about folks who can take back roads in from WH or Wethersfield. I'm looking at the Southington, Bristol, Chesire, New Britain side of the river. Any road in using 84 is a nightmare in and out of Hartford on weekday rush hours. Find me ONE family who'd take 84 to New Britain to the bus route on a Wednesday. People in Newington that can walk to the bus line don't even take it.

The answer will play out in the attendance as the season wears on.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. When I bring up commuting in, I'm not talking about folks who can take back roads in from WH or Wethersfield. I'm looking at the Southington, Bristol, Chesire, New Britain side of the river. Any road in using 84 is a nightmare in and out of Hartford on weekday rush hours. Find me ONE family who'd take 84 to New Britain to the bus route on a Wednesday. People in Newington that can walk to the bus line don't even take it.

The answer will play out in the attendance as the season wears on.

You can agree to disagree, but you keep building these strawmen to fit your narrative. A family probably wouldn't take the bus route because parking is only $5-$7. But recent grads, younger people in their 20s and 30s might. And if they don't, fine, there are numerous ways to get there. You asked how people would get there, I gave you options.

Did you forget people used 84 to drive from East of the river and north of Hartford to New Britain for games? Plenty of people dealt with 84 for Rock Cats games.

Also, you don't have to fight traffic at 5:30 for 7pm games. Traffic at 6:30-7 isn't close to being as bad as traffic at 4:30/5:30.

Reaction Score
You can agree to disagree, but you keep building these strawmen to fit your narrative. A family probably wouldn't take the bus route because parking is only $5-$7. But recent grads, younger people in their 20s and 30s might. And if they don't, fine, there are numerous ways to get there. You asked how people would get there, I gave you options.

Did you forget people used 84 to drive from East of the river and north of Hartford to New Britain for games? Plenty of people dealt with 84 for Rock Cats games.

Also, you don't have to fight traffic at 5:30 for 7pm games. Traffic at 6:30-7 isn't close to being as bad as traffic at 4:30/5:30.

Agree again to disagree. For every strawman I might build, you put one up right next to it. A group of 20-somethings taking the bus in to a weeknight game, huh? Sure.

Reaction Score
Agree again to disagree. For every strawman I might build, you put one up right next to it. A group of 20-somethings taking the bus in to a weeknight game, huh? Sure.

Not sure you understand the definition of strawman. Saying something is a possibility is not a strawman. I literally used the word "might". The bus exists, people use it, it is possible to use it to go to Dunkin Donuts Park for baseball games.

This isn't a strawman, it's fact.

Reaction Score
Attendance will fall off after the novelty wears off and people realize they are spending time and money to watch terrible baseball in a total dump of a city

Wow, I bet attendance will plummet because of this.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Attendance will fall off after the novelty wears off and people realize they are spending time and money to watch terrible baseball in a total dump of a city

Normal people's thought processes aren't like yours. What you described will not happen.

Reaction Score

Until they realize their alternative is to hang out in their apartments in Southington.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ugh. Not this again.
I see what you did there.

Am I the only one starting to think that @Deepster may actually be orchestrating these shootings in order to kill the franchise?

Call the Courant. We need to get Jacobs to investigate Deep's ties to New Britain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom