OT - Yard Goats Update | The Boneyard

OT - Yard Goats Update

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Yard Goats averaged over 6,200 per game for this weekends 3 game series. Looks like Hartford has a success on their hands.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Yard Goats averaged over 6,200 per game for this weekends 3 game series. Looks like Hartford has a success on their hands.

Any shootings?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I will hold my judgment until the end of the year. I will say that more people have gone to games then have ridden the busway that's for sure.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I rode the busway when I went 2 weeks ago. It's a nice stadium. People should check it out if they haven't already.

The stadium was finished nicely after the one-year disaster. Still, think the busway was a $650 million dollar mistake that will be a loser forever.

Reaction Score
Right now everything is new but if they don't win down the road attendance will drop off a cliff once the newness wears off.

Reaction Score
Success in minor league sports fluctuates. It's not dynastic as major league sports can be.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Right now everything is new but if they don't win down the road attendance will drop off a cliff once the newness wears off.

I would argue that the success of the team has little to no bearing on attendance. Apologies to any ex die hard Rock Cats fans that follow the season long standings.

Reaction Score
Stadium will be a success.Its not the product on the field, its the product off of it which makes minor league baseball a success. My three old had to wear his yard goat hat into preschool today after going to the game yesterday even the Mrs. was impressed. If the kids are having fun and the wives are content on going to a beautiful park I think we have a winner on our hands.

Also the yellow jackets at the Rent should go to a course in public relations with the yard goat staff, everyone there is making sure you are having fun and are happy.
IT'S GOAT TIME

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would argue that the success of the team has little to no bearing on attendance. Apologies to any ex die hard Rock Cats fans that follow the season long standings.
I agree. Didn't the Yard Goats have the best record in all of professional baseball for a time last year? Didn't help attendance a bit.

Reaction Score
Stadium will run a huge operating loss even if they sell out every single game.

2 issues:

1) the whole development of the area isn't happening, probably never was, just a way to get stadium funded. No Hard Rock hotel is coming to Hartford.

2) a minor league baseball game doesn't bring other spending to the city. You go to the game, eat and drink there and then leave. You don't go and then say hey let's go hit up Trumbull Kitchen at 11PM with your kids.

Winners are parking vendors and local workers huge pension spiking to manage the rowdy and violent minor league baseball crowds. That last part is sarcasm.

Stadium will be a success.Its not the product on the field, its the product off of it which makes minor league baseball a success. My three old had to wear his yard goat hat into preschool today after going to the game yesterday even the Mrs. was impressed. If the kids are having fun and the wives are content on going to a beautiful park I think we have a winner on our hands.

Also the yellow jackets at the Rent should go to a course in public relations with the yard goat staff, everyone there is making sure you are having fun and are happy.
IT'S GOAT TIME

Reaction Score
I saw a lot of twenty and thirty-somethings at the game Saturday night. I also saw a bunch of people in Yard Goats hats out in Hartford after the game. We bar hopped to a few different places after the game.

So you're wrong. Some people will stay out in Hartford after the game, it's already happening.

You know where that wouldn't happen? New Britain.

Reaction Score
In the first month maybe, over time not as much and are these people who would otherwise not go into Hartford on a Thurs-Sat

Anything related to the actual Yard Goats doesn't matter in a sense that it's running an operating loss factoring in everything

The key is really getting the area developed, which time will tell. No more public $$ for that.

Not that it's on the scale of Louisville, Baltimore or KC but they have those great complexes with the bars/restaurants. If Hartford could get a mini version of that it would change how people perceive it

I saw a lot of twenty and thirty-somethings at the game Saturday night. I also saw a bunch of people in Yard Goats hats out in Hartford after the game. We bar hopped to a few different places after the game.

So you're wrong. Some people will stay out in Hartford after the game, it's already happening.

Reaction Score
Anything related to the actual Yard Goats doesn't matter in a sense that it's running an operating loss factoring in everything

For the first two years, yes. That was always expected in order to cover the costs of building it. You don't expect an immediate ROI when you build a house, do you? Of course not. You have to wait until you have equity and you aren't paying as much back.

Surely you can't judge the profitability of this ballpark for at least 5 or so years.

Reaction Score
Before we christen this as the "Great Rebirth", remember....people used to come to UConn games too. And when the shine wore off, they stopped. Great start for the stadium.....after like 10 games.

Reaction Score
The whole payoff was supposed to be the development in the area, which is now stalled

Hopefully that gets on track. Honestly a Hard Rock hotel would be cool, the one in SD is awesome

For the first two years, yes. That was always expected in order to cover the costs of building it. You don't expect an immediate ROI when you build a house, do you? Of course not. You have to wait until you have equity and you aren't paying as much back.

Surely you can't judge the profitability of this ballpark for at least 5 or so years.

Reaction Score
The 4 penthouses in Hartford 21 were rented for $6000 a month. That was in 2007.

As of now, the building only has 6 places available for rent. On the bottom two floors.

Reaction Score
The whole payoff was supposed to be the development in the area, which is now stalled

Hopefully that gets on track. Honestly a Hard Rock hotel would be cool, the one in SD is awesome

Well it's essentially being stalled because of the lawsuit with Centerplan. Presumably, sooner or later, that will be resolved. Until then, it's stuck in limbo.

Hard Rock said in a statement that it was still working with the developer to bring the hotel to Hartford, though it offered no details.

Source: Dunkin' Donuts Park May Be Ready, But Area Development Has Stalled

It sounds like there's other developers interested, we just need the lawsuit resolved. I have to imagine someone is willing to dump some money into some apartments that overlook a baseball park. I know I would if I had the money kicking around.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Imagine if the Goats become like the Durham Bulls? I mean, Hartford compares to Durham, so it's possible. All they need is a Crash Davis and a Nuke LaLoosh.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have a 50 yr old niece who lives (by choice) in Hartford. She's got zero interest in sports, but is big on what's happening in Htfd, and has been to several games with her SO. He is not a sports fan either. I suspect she drags him along more than the other way. She's more a theatre and arts patron than a sports fan. Only other sporting event she goes to is the Kentucky Derby every year, and that's mostly about getting to wear an outrageous hat.

I don't know if people of her ilk (That's not meant to be derogatory, but somehow sounds that way) filling the stadium are good for the team long term or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom