OT: World Cup | Page 44 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Costa Rica's best player, Campbell, plays on the same club with like half of the Greek team. That will be pretty interesting.

Bryan Ruiz could make a strong case for being their best player, but Campbell has acquitted himself very well this world cup. Might have even earned his way onto the Arsenal roster.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that we can win this game. In fact, if you had to ask me prior to the WC what teams I would rather face in the Round of 16, I would say that Belgium would have been "acceptable" to me. I obviously would have preferred Greece, Algeria, or even Costa Rica (they're hot right now but we know we can and have beaten them). But Belgium would be in the next tier of teams that I would have hoped for.

I think if we overload the middle of the park (which our setup is designed to do anyways), and deny players like Fellaini and Mertens to get comfortable on the ball, then we have a good chance to make some noise against them. And if the game stays tied after 120 minutes and we go to PK's, well, we have Tim Howard and they don't... ;)

As long as we avoided Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Netherlands, or France in the 1st knockout, you have to be happy.

And just a reminder, they do have Thibault Courtois. No slouch there.

Love Timmy under pressure though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Beckerman has been playing better than Bradley, even with the backwards movement. Though Bradley's play might pick up at a better position. I'll give Bradley credit, he worked much harder on D against Germany than in the first 2 matches. Also his long lob to JJ was the type of service you'd like to see more of.

I def wouldn't have started Donovan in this World Cup. He'd have the most value with fresh legs in the second half. A true super sub.

Completely different jobs. I think part of Bradley's problem is that he is receiving the ball in a more advanced position. This means less time to trap the ball and do something positive with it. In the past, MB would get the ball where Beckerman is getting it with more space in front of him or a retreating defense.

Beckerman has done a good job defending, but really anyone can do that I'd they have the desire and awareness. My guess is if you put Bradley in that spot, you wouldn't lose any defense and improve the teams attack immensely.

It would help if either Jozy returns, LD was on the roster, or if Mix could be trusted to be strong on the ball in the advanced position. MB's margin of error has been reduced by his positioning on the field. Soccer is not a linear sport. Everything affects everything else and you are searching for the most complementary personnel and tactics.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's a great accomplishment, but the Group of Death stuff is a bit strong after the fact.

There are bad processes and decisions that end up with good outcomes. The worst thing to do is double down on those processes.

That's called Outcome Bias.

And I do think it was still El Grupo de Muerte, though a strong case could be made for Group D (Costa Rica/Uruguay/Italy/England).

Germany is still a top 4 favorite, and looks strong. Ghana was very very good and frankly, deserves a spot in the next round. Would have earned it in most any other group. Portugal was the weakest link. And that should tell you something, given they have talent throughout, including one of the best players in the world.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's called Outcome Bias.

And I do think it was still El Grupo de Muerte, though a strong case could be made for Group D (Costa Rica/Uruguay/Italy/England).

Germany is still a top 4 favorite, and looks strong. Ghana was very very good and frankly, deserves a spot in the next round. Would have earned it in most any other group. Portugal was the weakest link. And that should tell you something, given they have one of the best players in the world.

Yes obviously I'm judging it after the fact, but there were other difficult groups as well. It's great to be through it and I think they have a shot against Belgium but it's going to take a better game than they played the first three.

Reaction Score
We have been rather punchless offensively in two of our three games. Both can be excused (Ghana since we scored 30 seconds in, Germany since we had incentive to be conservative and were 3 says removed from Manaus). We looked dangerous against Portugal, but they were missing 3/4 of their defense and were a shambles at left back where we attacked constantly. We obviously also have Altidore out, which hurts - even though he's not really a dominant scorer you'd like up top, he takes pressure off Dempsey and Bradley.

It certainly isn't outrageous to suggest that some extra skill in the offensive third would be nice. Davis and Johansson got chances and were totally invisible, Bedoya has been average, Yedlin is a right back we're playing out of position up high to try to give us something in that end. Wondo's poaching skill hasn't been useful for a team that doesn't get in the box much. Zusi has had an impact - overall, I think his play has been average at best, but he's had a couple moments of magic that make up for it. That's what you'd hope for out of a LD if you brought him, one brilliant touch that swings a game. The ball he roofed against Slovenia from a tight angle in 2010 to start our comeback is a play that nobody on this team makes.

Klose, Essien, Drogba, Forlan, Lampard - all veteran names who were brought on as reserves to potentially try to change a game with their skill and experience. It's pretty standard to do that, especially if you are like us and don't have a lot of younger guys who are capable of the same things. Brazil doesn't have to take guys past their prime since they always breed new generations of Neymars.

Obviously things turned out OK, even if we lose to Belgium, we advanced out of a difficult group and there's no way to say that LD would have made any difference against Germany or Belgium. Klinsmann has done a great job - so I'm not even taking him to task. Just feels like we don't have all the arrows in our quiver, and if we're down a goal looking like we have no offensive imagination to unlock the defense again, it'd be nice to have that arrow.

Reaction Score
Yes to the first and no to the second. JK picked the squad he felt would best fulfill his mission of putting the USA in the best position to succeed now and in the future. To say he cares more about his personal feelings after bringing this side through the Group of Death is someone who just doesn't want to give up his pre-conceieved narrative. I admit, I'm a JK fanboy the way you guys are Donovan fanboys. He is just what we needed in a USMNT coach. I accept he made his decisions because he is working to his plan, not in a fit of pique.

Thank you for admitting you're a JK fanboy, since it makes me feel liberated as a self-aware LD fanboy.

Let me start by saying that I was super pumped that Klinsmann was hired, am still happy with him as a coach, and even like his personality.

But I think it's all too convenient to say that Klinsmann is some zen master or that he's painted some masterpiece.

The US has gone beyond the group stages in 3 of the past 4 world cups. There should be, and is I believe, an expectation that they should be progressing. Sure, our group looks super tough on paper, but when you get to the World Cup, unless you are a team like Germany, a lot of it is all about matchups. Some other group may have been more challenging for the US- go ask Italy, England and Spain (Spain's group was the toughest imo).

If you are a fan of Klinsmann, I assume you were critical of Bradley. If so, what were the reasons? And if you were critical of Bradley, why can't people be critical of Klinsmann?

It's the nature of being a fan (and a player) to be critical of their coaches.

I'm less amazed that they got out of the group stages than I am that they advanced without arguably their best player.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was just a wild coincidence his son decided to taunt Donovan on Twitter.

Plans are great and all but there is no plan that makes any sense that doesn't including bringing your best team to the World Cup. Getting through doesn't change that fact.

The Donovan thing makes total sense now. When we had Donovan in the lineup there was just not enough oxygen for everyone. In fact we may not have advance in 2008 because we were so Donovan centric. It was a tough decision and pretty much everyone should be over it by now. We got through the most difficult group without him, we scored 4 goals in the first two games.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Jermaine Jones has a broken nose from his collision with Bedoya yesterday.

And enough with the Donovan talk please!? , we could win the world cup and some facking morons would still be talking about Donovan. Give it a rest!

Reaction Score
Yes to that one.

I love the fact that Cost Rica has a mismatch. Who would have said that about The Ticos prior to the tournament? And yes, they should handily beat Greece. Though when Greece packs 10 men in, you never know. Only takes one counter.

After the crazy Colombia game, the Greek defenders are playing lights out. Matt Hummels has always been a huge fan of Sokratis, and now I know why. I never watch Borussia Dortmund games (only caught one in Champions League) but that guy could probably start for 90% of the World Cup. The other center back Manolas has been playing just as well. If they had their supposedly best defender (Papadopoulos, who is rumored for Liverpool) back their with them, it would be very hard to get through. on the other hand, the Greek team has almost no one who can score a goal now that Mitroglou is gimpy. They simply will not be able to score in the knockout stages. Expect 1-0 or penalty kicks.

Reaction Score

And enough with the Donovan talk please!? , we could win the world cup and some facking morons would still be talking about Donovan. Give it a rest!

I agree, people just need to let it go.

Reaction Score
Beckerman has been playing better than Bradley, even with the backwards movement. Though Bradley's play might pick up at a better position. I'll give Bradley credit, he worked much harder on D against Germany than in the first 2 matches. Also his long lob to JJ was the type of service you'd like to see more of.

I def wouldn't have started Donovan in this World Cup. He'd have the most value with fresh legs in the second half. A true super sub.

I agree with the wish of having LD come off the bench as a flexible sub in case of injury/cards and as a super sub at the end of the game when an extra creative playmaker is needed. But, it is a wish at this point.

I maybe the only one; but, I am still giving Bradley the benefit of the doubt. I really want to see how he works with both Dempsey and Jozy in front of him. They worked really well together in qualifying. Hopefully Dempsey’s nose does not slow him down and Jozy’s hammy is back and we can see that trio against a very good; but, inexperienced Belgium team.

By the way, if the US was to advance past Belgium, the US would likely face Argentina in the quarterfinals. Talk about a challenge. Having to deal with Ronaldo and Messi in the same tournament? I am glad that the game is in Brasília instead of Porto Alegre, which would be inundated by Argentines. The two countries with the largest foreign fan groups should make for a fun environment.

Reaction Score
Yes obviously I'm judging it after the fact, but there were other difficult groups as well. It's great to be through it and I think they have a shot against Belgium but it's going to take a better game than they played the first three.

Or at least as good as the Portugal game, less the first 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes of the match.

Reaction Score
What do you think was the weakest, C, F or H?

C and H were similar in my opinion with two ‘dark horses’ headlining each (Colombia and Belgium) followed by a suspect European team, a mid-level African team and a weak Asian team. F basically was handed to Argentina with an African team that usually meltdowns in the Cup, a virgin European team and a Middle East team that I do not believe has ever made it to the knock-out stage. The winners of these three groups also accounted for 3 of the 4 teams to advance with 9 points (3 wins). Netherlands was the other 9 point team, which was a surprise considering how strong Group B looked with defending champ Spain and a good team from Chile in the mix. Group A was basically given to Brazil with the officiating in the first game between Brazil and Croatia and how many goals Mexico had waved off.

Reaction Score
What do you think was the weakest, C, F or H?

C and H were similar in my opinion with two ‘dark horses’ headlining each (Colombia and Belgium) followed by a suspect European team, a mid-level African team and a weak Asian team. F basically was handed to Argentina with an African team that usually meltdowns in the Cup, a virgin European team and a Middle East team that I do not believe has ever made it to the knock-out stage. The winners of these three groups also accounted for 3 of the 4 teams to advance with 9 points (3 wins). Netherlands was the other 9 point team, which was a surprise considering how strong Group B looked with defending champ Spain and a good team from Chile in the mix. Group A was basically given to Brazil with the officiating in the first game between Brazil and Croatia and how many goals Mexico had waved off.

Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan was the weakest.

Mainly because of Ivory Coast and Japan. Japan was one of the weaker Japanese clubs I've seen in a while, and even Kagawa looked pedestrian in this competition. Ivory Coast meanwhile just looked like they didn't care though it had a lot of talent. Ivory Coast was simply outplayed by Colombia and Greece.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I maybe the only one; but, I am still giving Bradley the benefit of the doubt. I really want to see how he works with both Dempsey and Jozy in front of him. They worked really well together in qualifying. Hopefully Dempsey’s nose does not slow him down and Jozy’s hammy is back and we can see that trio against a very good; but, inexperienced Belgium team.

By the way, if the US was to advance past Belgium, the US would likely face Argentina in the quarterfinals. Talk about a challenge.

If we don't get Altidore back, I'm not holding out much hope for Bradley. He just does not look right where he is. I will give him credit though, he really pick up his D against Germany from his performance from the first two games.

One good thing about Argentina is their back 3 are weak. We would have an opportunity there. Messi aside, Di Maria scares the piss out of me.

Reaction Score

I think it just resurfaced because we looked neutered offensively against Germany. We only took four shots all game (none on net) and two of them were in the final minute. The difficulty in unlocking a disciplined organized defense showed a bit (although the Manaus factor and the Altidore injury are important caveats). We just didn't have the talent or imagination to do much of anything - Bradley's route one attempt to Jones was the best we came up with.

I think if we look somewhat potent in the offensive third against Belgium - even if we don't score - the issue will be pretty much dead in my view. If we look punchless and unimaginative again, then I'll consider it a bit of a mistake leaving behind a guy who could fill a weakness coming off the bench, even though we advanced. Portugal was missing 3/4 of its defense due to red cards and injuries, so our strong offensive showing in that game is a bit of a "grain of salt" thing (although our impotence against Germany is one too).

Second guessing roster selection/starting lineups is part of tournaments like this. JK's overall performance has been very good - he took a risk putting in Gonzalez yesterday and he played exceptionally well, for example - so I think he's home free in terms of folks questioning his overall judgment or worthiness of the job. He's been a success. Just might be possible he missed on one or two of his moves (getting us out of formation with the Gonzalez-Zusi sub in the 90th against Portugal perhaps being one as well - but that wouldn't have mattered without the Bradley/Cameron errors on either end).

Reaction Score
On to Belgium:

Belgium has strengths all over the field: they have big, strong defenders who are among the best in the world in Kompany and Vertonghen.

Fellaini and Witsel can pose some problems- both have good size and touch and are good at controlling the tempo in the center of the field.

I think their strength is in their little burners - Hazard and Mertens-both are super quick and like to play high up, and play aggressively. I expect to see them attacking from the outside, either lobbing balls in for Lukaku and Fellaini, taking their man one on one, or playing quick give and gos.

I expect Belgium to control the game, although not in such a lopsided way as with Germany.

I think where the US can exploit them is with runs by Beasley and Johnson, especially if Mertens and Hazard are up high and on the outside, since both are not the most defensively minded.

The US also has to stick someone on Lukaku and prevent him from being able to turn with the ball. He can get frustrated pretty easily.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well, we probably can't win the world cup, but many of us would like to see the best team out on the field, and that very clearly means Donovan. If Portugal doesn't implode in the first match against Germany, and we lose out on GD, then would leaving Donovan home have been the right move? Did leaving Donovan home cause Pepe to behave like a lunatic?

Reaction Score
If we don't get Altidore back, I'm not holding out much hope for Bradley. He just does not look right where he is. I will give him credit though, he really pick up his D against Germany from his performance from the first two games.

One good thing about Argentina is their back 3 are weak. We would have an opportunity there. Messi aside, Di Maria scares the piss out of me.

The US can alwys hope that Argentina’s coach proclaimed their ‘bad luck charm’ shows-up for the game.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/22/maradona-flips-bird-after-being-told-hes-argentinas-bad-luck-charm

If the US was able to progress to the quaterfinals, I bet that the stadium would be 1/3 pro-Argentina and 2/3 pro-US, which would consist of 1/3 US fans and 1/3 Brazil locals who under no circumstance want to face Argentina in the final.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The US can alwys hope that Argentina’s coach proclaimed their ‘bad luck charm’ shows-up for the game.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/22/maradona-flips-bird-after-being-told-hes-argentinas-bad-luck-charm

If the US was able to progress to the quaterfinals, I bet that the stadium would be 1/3 pro-Argentina and 2/3 pro-US, which would consist of 1/3 US fans and 1/3 Brazil locals who under no circumstance want to face Argentina in the final.

Jesus, what a maniac. At least he figured out how to get out of Messi's way. Last guy had an issue with that.

Hopefully, Maradona takes Messi, Di Maria, Aguerro, and crew out for some blow the night before. He's looking very svelte these days, so I know he's back in the game, so to speak.

Every Brazilian supporters in the country will be all in for the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom