OT: World Cup | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Definitely happens. Just look at Argentina right now. Tevez isn't on the squad. You can't tell me he isn't in the top 10 players on their side. And he's been playing well this year too.

Apparently, the manager just does not like him.
Of course, Tevez has a history of being a troublemaker, especially when he doesn't get starters minutes, which would have been the case with Aguero on the team, not to mention the fact that the forwards he brought play for, respectively, Napoli, Inter, PSG, Man City, and Barca. Donovan was dropped for guys like Brad Davis and Wondolowski, MLS lifers who clearly can't compete at this level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Your position is we care more about Donovan than the team?

You've got that one backwards brother - Klinsmann cares more about his personal feelings than the squad he picked.

Yes to the first and no to the second. JK picked the squad he felt would best fulfill his mission of putting the USA in the best position to succeed now and in the future. To say he cares more about his personal feelings after bringing this side through the Group of Death is someone who just doesn't want to give up his pre-conceieved narrative. I admit, I'm a JK fanboy the way you guys are Donovan fanboys. He is just what we needed in a USMNT coach. I accept he made his decisions because he is working to his plan, not in a fit of pique.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Its pretty clear that Klinsmann and Donovan butted heads and that is why he is not on the team and not because of any other smokescreen. It happens. If I remember right, Messi almost did not make the 2010 Argentina team because he butted heads with Maradona so much. Nevertheless, it happens, move on and hope for the best.

Exactly. I would have loved him as an instant offense sub (at midfield, not forward). But as UConn fans know, sometimes there are players, who, despite their skill level, hurt the team concept. I have no doubt that JK was not just being petty and personal here. He wants to win more than anything. We don't know the details, but it is entirely possible that Donovan's presence is disruptive to the team in some way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes to the first and no to the second. JK picked the squad he felt would best fulfill his mission of putting the USA in the best position to succeed now and in the future. To say he cares more about his personal feelings after bringing this side through the Group of Death is someone who just doesn't want to give up his pre-conceieved narrative. I admit, I'm a JK fanboy the way you guys are Donovan fanboys. He is just what we needed in a USMNT coach. I accept he made his decisions because he is working to his plan, not in a fit of pique.

Yeah it was just a wild coincidence his son decided to taunt Donovan on Twitter.

Plans are great and all but there is no plan that makes any sense that doesn't including bringing your best team to the World Cup. Getting through doesn't change that fact.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You don't need to know anything about soccer to see that Davis was lost yesterday and 80% of Donovan at his peak would have been a much better option.

As for set pieces, the one corner we had in the 1st half was taken by Zusi. JK couldn't get Davis off fast enough. Chances of seeing him again, zero.

Reaction Score
This Donovan stuff is getting tired. He's gone and will never play in another world cup. The team seems to be doing fine. Maybe Donovan would have contributed, but that doesnt matter now. We have a big match against Belgium, which I've heard little discussion on.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mots010 said:
This Donovan stuff is getting tired. He's gone and will never play in another world cup. The team seems to be doing fine, and we have a big match against Belgium, which I've heard little discussion on.

We'd have a better chance of beating Belgium if Donovan started at left midfield or central attacking midfield pushing Bradley back to Beckerman' s spot, who you may have noticed is now the focal point of our attack building out of the back. This is a glaring tactical problem made painfully obvious against Germany. He was completely unable to hold and push the ball forward. Always backward.

Against Portugal, LD would have subbed for Zusi instead of Omar who was nowhere to be found on the tying goal.

Against Ghana, LD could have subbed for either Altidore, Dempsey when they went down, or Bedoya late when we were down a goal.

These are problems caused by the roster omission of Donovan. Forget that he is still one of the top 5 players in the US pool. So, you'll rightly hear about it forever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't need to know anything about soccer to see that Davis was lost yesterday and 80% of Donovan at his peak would have been a much better option.

As for set pieces, the one corner we had in the 1st half was taken by Zusi. JK couldn't get Davis off fast enough. Chances of seeing him again, zero.

Unless injuries or cards mount, then the US may have no choice but to play Davis. Even Klinsmann said that everyone on the roster will see the pitch because of the toll that the Cup, especially in Brazil, takes.

Reaction Score
Unless injuries or cards mount, then the US may have no choice but to play Davis. Even Klinsmann said that everyone on the roster will see the pitch because of the toll that the Cup, especially in Brazil, takes.

I believe that when I see it. I'll be shocked if Green gets on the field.

Reaction Score
I admit, I'm a JK fanboy the way you guys are Donovan fanboys. He is just what we needed in a USMNT coach. I accept he made his decisions because he is working to his plan, not in a fit of pique.

Perhaps us Donovan "fanboys" simply like Klinsmann, think that he's the right coach for us, and know he made a mistake.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Plans are great and all but there is no plan that makes any sense that doesn't including bringing your best team to the World Cup. Getting through doesn't change that fact.

Getting through changes everything. You have to judge the manager by the sum total of all his judgements and decisions. All of those decisions taken together gives you the squad you have now. The squad he judged to be the best for the program. The squad that just went through from the Group of Death (which is big enough) despite having the most grueing travel schedule and playing without their striker. It's funny how you are so blithe about getting through after the fact.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Perhaps us Donovan "fanboys" simply like Klinsmann, think that he's the right coach for us, and know he made a mistake.

You "know" that, huh? I say we don't beat Ghana if LD was playing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sooo...what are your thoughts on the game?

I can give you my thoughts. They have better players, but it doesn't much matter who has better players. Except for the clear mismatches, these games turn on luck, mistakes, awareness...guys making or not making plays. So how often will we screw up and gift the ball to an attacker? Will they have a guy make an epic run to block a shot and save a goal like Lahm did? Or a guy like Costa, who is in the right place to cover an open net? Will Howard come up with a big save?

France and Germany have mismatches (maybe Costa Rica). Nobody else does. Every other team left has at least a 45% chance of winning. The Belgians have not been attacking well. Our D gives up too many shots, but we have created a lot of chances, at least 2-3 more of which probably should have found the mark. We can certainly win this game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I can give you my thoughts. They have better players, but it doesn't much matter who has better players. Except for the clear mismatches, these games turn on luck, mistakes, awareness...guys making or not making plays. So how often will we screw up and gift the ball to an attacker? Will they have a guy make an epic run to block a shot and save a goal like Lahm did? Or a guy like Costa, who is in the right place to cover an open net? Will Howard come up with a big save?

France and Germany have mismatches (maybe Costa Rica). Nobody else does. Every other team left has at least a 45% chance of winning. The Belgians have not been attacking well. Our D gives up too many shots, but we have created a lot of chances, at least 2-3 more of which probably should have found the mark. We can certainly win this game.

I have no doubt that we can win this game. In fact, if you had to ask me prior to the WC what teams I would rather face in the Round of 16, I would say that Belgium would have been "acceptable" to me. I obviously would have preferred Greece, Algeria, or even Costa Rica (they're hot right now but we know we can and have beaten them). But Belgium would be in the next tier of teams that I would have hoped for.

I think if we overload the middle of the park (which our setup is designed to do anyways), and deny players like Fellaini and Mertens to get comfortable on the ball, then we have a good chance to make some noise against them. And if the game stays tied after 120 minutes and we go to PK's, well, we have Tim Howard and they don't... ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Getting through changes everything. You have to judge the manager by the sum total of all his judgements and decisions. All of those decisions taken together gives you the squad you have now. The squad he judged to be the best for the program. The squad that just went through from the Group of Death (which is big enough) despite having the most grueing travel schedule and playing without their striker. It's funny how you are so blithe about getting through after the fact.

It's a great accomplishment, but the Group of Death stuff is a bit strong after the fact.

So since you seem to be saying that because they advanced nothing can be questioned... what if Ghana had scored instead of Portugal? So JK is completely judged based on who scores in a Ghana/Portugal match?

There are bad processes and decisions that end up with good outcomes. The worst thing to do is double down on those processes.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that we can win this game. In fact, if you had to ask me prior to the WC what teams I would rather face in the Round of 16, I would say that Belgium would have been "acceptable" to me. I obviously would have preferred Greece, Algeria, or even Costa Rica (they're hot right now but we know we can and have beaten them). But Belgium would be in the next tier of teams that I would have hoped for.

I think if we overload the middle of the park (which our setup is designed to do anyways), and deny players like Fellaini and Mertens to get comfortable on the ball, then we have a good chance to make some noise against them. And if the game stays tied after 120 minutes and we go to PK's, well, we have Tim Howard and they don't... ;)

My worry would be Hazard making mincemeat of the USA defense.

Reaction Score

Costa Rica's best player, Campbell, plays on the same club with like half of the Greek team. That will be pretty interesting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We'd have a better chance of beating Belgium if Donovan started at left midfield or central attacking midfield pushing Bradley back to Beckerman' s spot, who you may have noticed is now the focal point of our attack building out of the back. This is a glaring tactical problem made painfully obvious against Germany. He was completely unable to hold and push the ball forward. Always backward.

Against Portugal, LD would have subbed for Zusi instead of Omar who was nowhere to be found on the tying goal.

Against Ghana, LD could have subbed for either Altidore, Dempsey when they went down, or Bedoya late when we were down a goal.

These are problems caused by the roster omission of Donovan. Forget that he is still one of the top 5 players in the US pool. So, you'll rightly hear about it forever.

Beckerman has been playing better than Bradley, even with the backwards movement. Though Bradley's play might pick up at a better position. I'll give Bradley credit, he worked much harder on D against Germany than in the first 2 matches. Also his long lob to JJ was the type of service you'd like to see more of.

I def wouldn't have started Donovan in this World Cup. He'd have the most value with fresh legs in the second half. A true super sub.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Bedoya's got fresh legs now so it should be no problem. Davis won't see the field again unless we've got a run of injuries. Yedlin/Brooks along with some positional switches will most likely be the first move if necessary. IMO

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sooo...what are your thoughts on the game?

I wish it was Hazard who got the red card last game.

Actually no, it would have been better had it been Thibault Courtois. Still can't believe that guy's only 22. How about having your starting goalkeeper locked up for the next 20 years?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You "know" that, huh? I say we don't beat Ghana if LD was playing.

Doesn't mean you can't criticize his decisions. Maybe they beat Ghana by 3; heck or even win all three games with LD on the squad. Who knows? It's impossible to say. You can't fall victim to outcome bias.

LD aside, Klinnsman's biggest mistake was not having a similar player to Altidore on this squad. Eddie Johnson would have been perfect. Sure he's a little nuts, but I doubt he'd bite anybody.

It's hurt us in many ways, as it's put Dempsey in the wrong position where he's not quite as effective. It's hurt Michael Bradley as a follow on too.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yes to that one.

I love the fact that Cost Rica has a mismatch. Who would have said that about The Ticos prior to the tournament? And yes, they should handily beat Greece. Though when Greece packs 10 men in, you never know. Only takes one counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom